Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hippiezep

First blooms of the year - Lima

hippiezep
12 years ago

The regular Hippeastrum blooming season here in Hong Kong is not until March, with the bulk of flowers in April and May. This is my first, just in time for Chinese New Year tomorrow. This is Lima, and was planted out in the garden for a few months, where it grew big before being repotted and brought back to the rooftop. It has 6 flowers - more than last year. The flowers have healthy looking anthers bursting with fresh pollen, but I have nothing to try to cross it with at the moment.

{{gwi:370758}}

{{gwi:370759}}

Comments (12)

• lenanen
    12 years ago

Gorgeous sight indeed!!

- Leena

• lila888
    12 years ago

The first thing that I noticed in your Lima is the umbel followed by the color. I have added Lima in my collection two years ago and recently got it as mislabel. Never did I get 6 flowers or got that intensity of color. It is one of the best Lima I have seen. Congratulations. You did a wonderful job taking care of it. And btw, you live in one of the nicest island in HK, away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Kung Hei Fat Choi!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Outstanding beautiful!! A sight to behold!! Thanks for sharing and giving me hope that my new Lima bulb just might look like yours!! Happy New Year and we're looking forward to more pictures of your beautiful hippies..

Donna

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks one and all, and gung hei faat choi for the Year of the Dragon. Looking forward to the New Year and new crosses coming into flower, so I'll be sure to post when something intersting emerges - probably due around the first week in March.

Yes, Lila, Lamma is quiet and relaxing, as you can see from the photo taken from the hill behind my house, it has an emptiness visitors do not usually associate with Hong Kong

{{gwi:370761}}

Geoff

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was rewarded with a full three weeks of the six blooms, now withered, but there was another pleasnt surprise. This was a second scape, which grew remarkably quickly and is not almost ready to open. There are only four flowers on this one, but I'm not complaining. This Lima has been holding the fort this month. Mid March should bring an explosion of new flowers from the hybrids quietly growing - seedlings from 2008, 2009 and 2010 may have something to show.

{{gwi:370763}}

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Geoff,
    My Lima was pretty but no where near the show that yours put on..I love it! Looking forward to your seedling pictures..I remember some you posted last season..your lovely doubles....
    Donna

• lenanen
    12 years ago

Would love to see pictures of others' seedlings blossoming! Won't see my own for years, the first crosses were made this winter.

• rene09
    12 years ago

Beautiful, great growing!!!

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Your Lima is a beauty!

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    12 years ago

And it's out, on a rainy day here in Hong Kong. Two more buds have appeared on other hybrid plants, so maybe the season is really getting into gear.

{{gwi:370765}}

{{gwi:370768}}

• berkeleysgr8
    12 years ago

How I adore the shape of the various cybisters! Your Lima is simply GORGEOUS!

• TigerFox
    11 years ago

Dear HippieZep
    Lima is one of the most beautiful pollen parent I loved.
    You grow The bulbs very well!
    Cheers and happy gardening!
    Tiger

Sponsored
More Discussions