Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agapanthe64

identification

agapanthe64
11 years ago

Could you help me identifying this vigourous , quite hardy Hipp , bought as Hippeastrum vittatum last spring ?
{{gwi:370942}}tum030520121.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">

{{gwi:370943}}
{{gwi:370944}}

Comments (16)

• agapanthe64
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sorry for the size of the pictures !

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

Love the white edges on the leaves!!
    K

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

You say you bought this last spring, but it appears that you have a whole clump..at least all the leaves seem to have the same attractive white outer edge...did you buy a clump?

I've found vittatum to be the most variable species. I have a totally different looking bulb that I thought might be vittatum and when one looks at all the google images it appears to come in different colors mostly white w/stripes some with red centers some not, and I found a few that were red..and then again it might just be Amigo...;-)...Donna

11 years ago

Hi Again,

Here is the one I have which I thought it was vittatum but it was thought (from this forum) that it was just a vittatum hybrid. It is EXTREMELY fragrant and the red is a raspberry red. I got one bloom to set seeds last season and am now growing just a few seedlings. I'm wondering if this will be true to the parent, probably not. I got mine from Ebay and this particular seller is still selling them!! A year later!! So, I would say that they must produce offsets like crazy or they do come true from seeds. Mine have yet to set an offset, I have 3...Donna

{{gwi:370945}}

{{gwi:370946}}

• agapanthe64
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You're right Donna , I bought a big clump , at a spanish nursery , they were sold like this. The plant was so vigourous that I had to split it in two parts during summer. It was in flower in april may and gave few new blooms in october. The leaves didn't kept that beautifull aspect when growing , they became all green.
    I tried to find your H. vitattum on ebay , but didn't found it , maybe it isn't available from france ?
    Mine isn't frangrant , I don't know if it self pollisate , I'll see this spring.
    Bea.

This post was edited by agapanthe64 on Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 1:43

11 years ago

Hi Beatrice,

I did not realize you were in France! Just for your information, here is the listing from which I bought my possible vittatum. I can't believe they are still selling them!..Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebay listing

• agapanthe64
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you ! it seems having more than 30 bulbs available ! but he doesn't ship to france.

• sun_worshiper
    11 years ago

That is gorgeous! I don't have an id guess though. How tall is it? If it sets seed, would you be interested in exchanging seeds? I am seeking out vigorous garden varieties, and love those plain reds with the star centers.

11 years ago

The orangey- red bloom looks like H. Striatum to me. I went to Emaryllis's species page.

I think that many unknown blooms with thin red stripping are called H. Vittatum due to lack of a better option. On the same Emaryllis species page the H. Vittatum looks a bit different than Donna's, which looks exactly like the red/white striped I got as a Walmart bagged bulb a couple of years ago.
    K

• agapanthe64
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Of course I would be happy exchanging seeds with you I love that kind of hippeastrm too. But last year it didn't gave seeds spontaneouslys , should help to self pollinisate ?
    It is 60 / 70 cm hight.

• sun_worshiper
    11 years ago

Cool!

It may be a variety that is hard to get to set seed, but if you hand pollinate, it will give it the best chance of setting seeds. My in ground clumps will usually send up several bloom spikes per clump. I will pollinate among the clump (same type variety), mixing pollen between individual flowers.

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

Donna, I'm tempted to buy bulbs of the fragrant hippie (possible vittatum parentage) you've shown. I've had those bulbs on my watch list for more than a year! How would you describe the scent of those flowers? -Tina

11 years ago

Tina,
    All I can remember is that they were very fragrant, as to what exactly they smelled like, I couldn't say..But, it was very pleasant not a musty fragrance at all...
    The center eye was very dark and the markings are a raspberry red..I'd say they are worth a try...Donna

11 years ago

Tina,
    All I can remember is that they were very fragrant, as to what exactly they smelled like, I couldn't say..But, it was very pleasant not a musty fragrance at all...
    The center eye was very dark and the markings are a raspberry red..I'd say they are worth a try...Donna

11 years ago

Guess the original request to ID the bulb in your photo has fallen to the side as the discussion has shifted to H. Vitattum.

Tina when you decide on an identity please let us know as I would like to add some to flower beds. Does it multiply quickly?

K

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

Sorry, I wasn't the original poster. Unfortunately, I accidentally hijacked this thread by discussing H Vitattum. Bea's blooms, the ones that inspired this thread, are apparently VERY vigorous!