Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oleg9grower

Semi-double seedling.

oleg9grower
9 years ago

Bloomed a new seedling. My question is: who the parents? Perhaps someone divine? Largest flower is average 13-14 cm, up to 6 inches. Petals strong, almost no flavor. So far, two of the flower, a lot of green on the outside, inside the green star, strong red-brown bit. Along the edges of the petals of red Picotee on a red-striped background. Wavy petals, stamens and pistil are present. Of course, this semi-finished product, with it should still work. Can anyone will propose a name?
{{gwi:2122108}}{{gwi:2122109}}{{gwi:2122110}}

Comments (19)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

Oleg, could H. Jewel be the pollen parent?
    Looks a bit like H. Mega Star (or similar) could have had a role.
    Was the breeding one of your crosses, or an unknown?
    K

• oleg9grower
    Original Author
    9 years ago

* could H. Jewel be the pollen parent? *
    No, Jewel did not participate :))
    *Looks a bit like H. Mega Star (or similar) could have had a role. *
    No, Mega Star, too, did not participate :))
    * unknown? *
    No, I know, but I want to offer the fun game on recognition of parents.:)

This post was edited by oleg9grower on Sun, Jan 11, 15 at 8:55

• oleg9grower
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Please note that in flower of this seedling present five colors:
    brown in bit, yellow-green, yellow, white and red.

• oleg9grower
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thoughts, Jewel - it semi-double. If it using with simple, does semi-double?
    No, rather simple. If you use double - doubles are obtained. I can paint this law genetically, if you need this.:)

• haweha
    9 years ago

Charisma?
    I have remote memories that Mr.ARIF created similar hybrids using "Charisma"

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Well Oleg, to me it reminds me of my dearly departed Pasadena.
    I think this flower would have been prettier as a single. I ended up with a few partial doubles like this from my seedlings that would have been better as singles also. The lively green star with the red eye are very pretty, as well as the partial veining.

Donna

• oleg9grower
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Donna!
    BINGO!
    Yes! Pollen parent of the seedling was Pasadena!
    *I think this flower would have been prettier as a single.*
    I agree with you, there are seedlings of this cross and see what happens.

Congratulations, you have won half of the game!

Hans,
    no, I'm sorry, but our favorite Charisma did not participate.

• oleg9grower
    Original Author
    9 years ago

*. I ended up with a few partial doubles like this from my seedlings that would have been better as singles also.*
    Let me ask you: as far as I know you like the doubles. You do not mind to get a good double seedlings? In what way? After all doubles as the mother plant do not produce seeds?

This post was edited by oleg9grower on Mon, Jan 12, 15 at 8:03

9 years ago

Hi Oleg,

When using something like Dancing Queen which is one of the fullest doubles I can think of at the moment I would assume if you grow enough of the seedling with Dancing Queen in the parentage there would be all types of seedlings, singles, partial doubles and a some totally double.

Arif on this forum has produced numerous doubles which he has posted on this forum in the past and I'm sure he had a variety of forms of doubles also. It seems that I remember that Xuan also from this forum posted a gorgeous double seedling of hers a few years and if my memory is correct it was a Dancing Queen cross. I know there are others too.

Perhaps you might start a thread to see if people might post pictures past and present to see what results they have come up with with double seedling.

Also if you take your seedling which has half the double genes and put something like Dancing Queen or some other fully double pollen I would assume that the percentage of doubles in the resulting seedlings would be even higher.

So, I hope that you had some pollen of a double and not Pasadena again as Pasadena as beautiful as it is is not one of the really full doubles. All this is just my opinion and not from personal experience.

Donna

• oleg9grower
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Donna,

that's right. I do this as there are knowledgeable breeders in the selection of double petunias. My question was asked as to your message * I ended up with a few partial doubles *. Namely, why destroy partially double seedlings if you can work with them?

This post was edited by oleg9grower on Mon, Jan 12, 15 at 9:14

• oleg9grower
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Next seedling flowered from the same group. A hint of a double - this is 2 extra petals, stigma is absent. The diameter of 6 inches.
    {{gwi:2122111}}
    {{gwi:2122112}}
    {{gwi:2122113}}

• oleg9grower
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another seedling. This time it's a double, but the anthers are available, there is no stigma. Note the numerous specks inside and outside of the petals. But parents do not speckling.
    {{gwi:2122114}}
    {{gwi:2122115}}

• oleg9grower
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Opened a second flower seedling in the picture of the second( Jan 26, 15 at 19:46), and he was simple. all the stamens and pistil are present.
    I'll try a sib-crossing. Your opinion?
    {{gwi:2122116}}

9 years ago

Oleg, you have quite the family there!! They all resemble Pasadena but it's interesting to see how each one differs from the other. Do you know who the other parent was?
    You could try a sibling cross on one flower and maybe on the other, another double such as Dancing Queen or Double Dream (although I don't think I ever had any pollen on my Double Dreams. Keep trying, you're well on your way to producing something nicer than Pasadena or something totally different that is just as nice.

How many more from this cross are yet to bloom?

Donna

9 years ago

duplicate...

This post was edited by dondeldux on Fri, Jan 30, 15 at 9:39

• oleg9grower
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Today it is all the seedlings that have blossomed from seedlings the group. This year will be no more. Thank you for your help. Have you noticed the previous double? He has an interesting specks and he is also a double. So I want to try it.
    Of course I know the other parent - this is the second part of the game. ;)
    It is clear that it is simple, and not red :)

• oleg9grower
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bloomed second flower double seedling. He lighter and more dotted.
    {{gwi:2122117}}

• brigarif Khan
    9 years ago

Try semi-double as mother and perfect double as father.

• oleg9grower
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Arif, I did so. But the seeds have not received ...
    :(

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner