Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rredbbeard

Species seed sources?

rredbbeard
11 years ago

Many of you know I'm usually looking for species hippeastrum seed. Has anyone found such a source? I've tried BrazilPlants and Telos, and communication with them is frustrating or non-existant.

Any suggestions? Swaps would work too.

Thanks,

--Rick in CT

Comments (34)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

Rick... I don't have any seeds you want but I took the time to do a search online and think I have found something that may help you. Enter in the "hippeastrum species seeds for sale" and that will pop up a result down the list for chileflora.com. On that message forum there are a lot of links that appear to regularly have species seeds for sale.

I have tried to paste the link in below but since I'm working from my phone I'm not sure if it will work.
    Kristi

Here is a link that might be useful: Chileflora link

• rredbbeard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Kristi. I went to b-and-t-world-seeds.com via your link, which is pretty interesting if the wish list is ever actualized. Some of the seeds seem a little overpriced, but if ya gotta have it....

Does anyone have experience with this source? I left several entries on their request list and will let you know if anything becomes available. I know that h. papilio is in stock, 10 seeds for 11 euros + shipping of 5 euros, basically $18 + shipping. Does this sound reasonable?

--Rr

11 years ago

for 10 plants (from seed) at $1.80/.....sounds really reasonable. Lots of seeds on eBay throughout the years are 5 seeds for $10....so.....do the math.

I looked at the sites and thought I might try and order some goodies as well!

Kristi

11 years ago

Lots of cool seeds right on the chileflora site!!
    K

11 years ago

I have enquired about price etc off Brazil site (Mauro). I'll keep you posted.
    Kristi

• chickens_on_mars
    11 years ago

Brazil plants, Mauro, sells seed.
    3.00 euro per packet of 10 seed.
    6 packet minimum order.
    8.00 euro shipping to US.
    Around $35.00 total basic order.
    Sells out quick.

• rredbbeard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dunno...wrote to Mauro a couple times in the last ten days with no answer. Telos responded but didn't answer my questions.
    :-/

I figure 16 euros=$26 more or less. Maybe I should just buy a few more to spread the fixed shipping cost? They certainly won't go to waste! In looking over the pictures on these sites, there's a massive variation within some species. Could the pictures be mislabeled? Makes it hard to know what you're going to get. At least for a few years anyway.

I guess spring fever is getting to me early!

--Rr

11 years ago

Mauro updated his site about a month ago....so...if he's not replying....don't know what's up with that.

Don't know what to tell you about photos.
    K

• rredbbeard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The address I have is BrazilPlants@gmail.com. I do most of my computer stuff from my phone, which won't let me look at my spam filter, so I'll have to get on a regular pc and check.

--Rr

• lenanen
    11 years ago

As Mr. Mauro Peixoto writes on his site, he's a travel guide and so spends a lot of time away from computers and seed business. He promises to reply to every e-mail as soon as it is possible for him to do so.

He updates the seed list approx. once a month.

I have only positive feedback to give; the seeds germinate incredibly well and ordering and delivery are handled super smoothly. I highly recommend.

This post was edited by lenanen on Sat, Jan 26, 13 at 3:39

11 years ago

Great to know Lena... thank you so much for your comments!
    K

• bluebonsai101
    11 years ago

Yep, have some patience with Mauro....I got all of his species seed from him many years ago....they germinate great, they are true to name, he is a great person to deal with!

The plants from Chile you might want to check in to their requirements.....not all would be considered easy to grow.......lots of non Hippis, but all have pretty exacting requirements as they come from a high alpine terrain in many cases.

Good luck getting what you are after :o) Dan

• Francosi
    11 years ago

I have already ordered seeds from Mauro, communication was very fast. So maybe he was just on a trip with no Internet access.
    I also have already ordered seeds from B&T worldseeds, not hippeastrum seeds however. Their prices are usually very fair - but some seeds simply are expensive anywhere, perhaps because seed sources know these are much sought after. In my experience, from B&T you get the correct species as ordered, so compliments to the seed collectors they are using as they know what they are doing. As far as wishlists are concerned, my experience is that after more than a year my wished for seeds are still on my wishlist.

11 years ago

Mauro did reply, so all is well!
    Kristi

11 years ago

I put my order in today....so exciting! Since Mauro has such a great reputation, I hope for great success! Dan...you know I'll be emailing!
    ;-)
    Kristi

• hippiris
    11 years ago

Glad to hear, I have browsed Mauro's site often and wondered wether to order or not, going to browse again now..lol

11 years ago

70 seeds (7 species x 3 Euros each + shipping) all for just $40.40... That just under 60 cents a seed.... I couldn't pass up the potential of a nice species plant for less than $1 each!! And even if I only raise a couple of each to maturity... I couldn't pass it up. Mauro has been really responsive and payment is made through PayPal. How easy is that??
    K

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

Kristi, what did you order? Inquiring minds want to know... *smile* -Tina

11 years ago

4 different Hippeastrum species, 2 zephyranthes, and a sprekalia.

Go to the site and you can figure it out from what is available.

A treasure hunt for sure!!

K

• rredbbeard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I ordered all hippi species plus a couple of crosses--aulicum, calyptratum, glaucescens, psittacinum. I had to ask Mauro to delay shipment to March, since he agreed that freezing might not be good for the seeds. Worth the wait!

I'll probably start them floating in water. What methods do others here have most success with?

--Rr

• lenanen
    11 years ago

Floating works for me; haven't even tried any other way.

Btw. Be sure to check the photogallery! There are terrific images of many of the species (and hybrids as well) offered on the list.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brazil Plants: Amaryllidaceae

11 years ago

How long should I expect to wait for these seeds to arrive? He put them in the mail 2 weeks ago, but no signs of them here in Texas yet. I figure I'll start worrying after 3 weeks, but I'm anxious for them to arrive!
    K

• rredbbeard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I thought that mail from Mauro would be relatively quick. No tracking number? All I can suggest is to contact him and ask. My order is delayed for another 10-14 days to avoid freezing weather here in CT, but now I'll ask Mauro to use tracking. Keep us posted, and good luck!

--Rr

11 years ago

Mauro replied that it may take 2-4 weeks. So, I'll try not to think if it.... and they'll be here before I know it!!
    K

• rredbbeard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

4 weeks? Why so long?

--Rr

11 years ago

When I think of how long it took Donna and Blanca to get their boxes of RC bulbs, the time estimate was comparable. Brazil to US vs The Netherlands to US.... I know they are different points of origin, etc, but lots of opportunities for packages to sit somewhere for a while. At least it's warm along most of the route so I'm not too worried about the seeds freezing.

K

This post was edited by kaboehm on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 7:20

11 years ago

Seeds arrived today! Exactly a month after mailed.
    K

11 years ago

PS, Rick, Mauro did use priority mail. Still 4 weeks...
    K

11 years ago

Some of the seeds that I started floating last Saturday... just 5 days ago... are already sending out roots!! Nice fresh seeds!! Shared some and hope they are doing just as well.
    K

• rredbbeard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Do you have an idea of the % success rate with floating seeds? Mauro mailed mine on 3/11, so I am trying not to obsess on the next three weeks.

I tried floating sprekelia seeds last week. After 4 days, there was a distinctly funky smell to the water, and 1/3 of the seeds had shown a radicle, so I put them all in seedling medium. A little activity so far, but not much.
    Many of the species from Mauro appear to be nearly lithophitic, and I have read that seedlings can be given a good start by using the medium for larger bulbs and letting them grow into it. It's a lot like potting up orchids...

--Rr

11 years ago

Rick,
    Check your personal email for photos of my sprouts that were mailed 2/7 and received 3/7...it's only been 10 days and I have 50-75% sprouting.
    Kristi

10 years ago

I ended up with most of the seeds sprouting. There were 1 or 2 in each batch that didn't sprout. One of the Zephyranthes batches didn't sprout at all for me. I shared a few seeds from each packet with Houston Pat and he got good germination.

My H. Calyptratum are doing well with 2-3 leaves each already. Pat suggested growing them in sphagnum moss as they are epiphytes. Guess he was right.

Rick....how are your seedlings doing?
    K

• Brug_Lover
    10 years ago

I also have bought from Mauro on a few occasions and have been very happy with all the seed & time that it has take to get to me
    2 years in a row for Hippeastrum seed from him price is well worth the cost for some very interesting species & crosses

If there are any other sites that have hippeastrum i would also like to know about them i have now over 70 varieties including 10 double forms and alot of species which i have not seen bloom as yet but will in the next 2-3 years

Pic attached is H. Millenium Star

• ryseryse_2004
    10 years ago

This is exciting but I wonder if I should get too involved since I am in Z5 and do not have a greenhouse?

Anyone else in the colder zones attempting hybridizing these?

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA