Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abendwolke

Ackermannii or Minverva?

abendwolke
13 years ago

Hello all ( Hi Cindee, long time no see) :-)

Maybe you can help me with this:

I grow this variety for a long time, dug it up from the previous yard planted by the previous owner. Since it is a reliable bloomer and all over my yard by now, I wanted to find out which variety it is.

I thought it to be Minerva, but recently I stumbled across some pictures of H. Ackermannii, and now I am not sure any longer.

Minerva or Ackermannii?

Also, I stumbled across 'www.Amaryllis.com' and decided to order just one bulb to 'test' them. The bulb arrived fine but the growing leaves and the bud were broken off obviously due to careless packing.

How is your experience with them? I wish this is not the norm for them :o

Thanks,

Evelyn

Comments (35)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Hi Evelyn, Well, I'm certainly no expert, but from what I can see from the very small pictures, the first looks a bit different than the second 2 pictures..could be that some of your flowers are seedling if you have had them growing around your yard for years...the second 2 pictures look like Minerva,(Mambo) to me, more white in the center than the first picture...just my thoughts....very beautiful:-)

Donna

• haweha
    13 years ago

It is a heirloom hybrid. Not "Minerva". It MIGHT be "ackermannii" that this is, considering the large number of striped knight star lilies, not certain at all.

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Okay,

The thing about H. x acramannii *or x ackermannii* is that there are VERY mixed reports as to what it was, some sources say H. aulicum x 'x johnsonii' and some say H aulicum x H. psittacinum, either way, I don't think that is what you have here. I agree with Hans that this could be some heirloom garden Hippeastrum, there was past breeding practices taken place in Flordia and many of these experiments were passed along into the communities :)

I'm not even sure H. 'x acramannii' is still in cultivation, some sources say they have it but I've never seen any that actually stand up to the past descriptions of this cultivar.

13 years ago

Evelyn,

I'm wondering if we could see some larger pictures of these, to see more clearly the details...it just doesn't seem to help by raising the resolution...I'd love to see a larger picture of that last shot..at the least. Thanks

Donna

And since everyone, including myself is all excited about the possibility of an heirloom bulb, we forgot to address your second question.. all I can say is.. there is NO excuse for bulbs ariving with broken scapes and or leaves...none at all!! I know that doesn't really help..send them some pictures of the bulb when it arived and if they are reputable, they will replace it. It worked for me with ETGB and they were nice enough to replace it for me..

• abendwolke
    Original Author
    13 years ago

below are the pictures a bit larger.
    about the colors Donna, I noticed that the coloring depends on the temperature. Those Hippies flower over a longer period of time and the early ones have cooler nights than the ones flowering later in the season.

so it sounds like Ackermannii is not that easy to be found. I was hoping for it ;-)

I started out with many bulbs, the previous owner had planted them all along his fence. and greedy me, when we moved I dug them all up.
    the chance for seedlings are slim, since I do cut off the spent flowers to save energy for the bulbs.
    The time frame, it is 18 years ago when they sold their home, and since then they are in my possession.
    The oldest and biggest bulbs have 6 flowers and give me at least 4 flower stalks, but only once per year.
    I do not dig them up, except when I want to plant something else where they are. They are not at all sensitive as those newer varieties that need constant pampering from cold or heat or sun or rain.

thank you all for taking the time :)

Evelyn
    PS: I decided to not write to amaryllis.com. not worth it, I just order my bulbs from someone else.

13 years ago

Hi Evelyn,

Thanks so much for posting those lovely pictures it may help someone to better ID them.. If you ever find that you've got 1 too many bulbs, I'd love to have one, I'd be more than happy to pay for the postage and the box.. hopefully in the future you'll need the space that one of those beauties is occupying!!;-)

Donna

• abendwolke
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Donna, if you send me your contact info, as soon as they flower (so I know which they are) I will send you a bulb, since I have another of those 'old' types all over the yard

13 years ago

Hi Evelyn,

Your second heirloom bulb is lovely also, you are so lucky to be able to grow these in the ground! Someone might know what your second bulb is...

I send you an email, just wanted you to know just in case it ends up in your spam...Thanks, Donna

13 years ago

Hi Evelyn, I just happened upon this photo while looking up ackermannii and this photo of Baby Star looks quite similar to yours.. what do you think.. and how large is your flower..

Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: Baby Star

• fishing_dentist
    13 years ago

Evelyn this is gorgeous!
    For me is it Ackermannii!
    I would love to grow my Hippies outside like You!
    If i had this possibility, i think, i would have much more! ;-)
    Best regards

• haweha
    13 years ago

I do not care about names.
    This "heirloom" is simply PRECIOUS.
    Behold the charm of his shape. And fabulous netting is present. And 6 flowers per umbel - it is a winner!

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

Wow that is spectacular! I'm afraid I can't offer any insight as to what they are tho.

I am hoping to eventually have beautiful landscape specimens like this too. I would also be very interested in an offset if you have one to spare. I will send you an email. I'm much less interested in the exact name than in the beautiful results and hardy nature of these old garden varieties. I just ordered some of the xjohnsonii bulbs that the Southern Bulb Company is offering. Can't wait for them to arrive. I am hoping to have results like yours. Tolerant landscape plants that put on a beautiful show each year. Thanks for the great pictures!

• abendwolke
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Donna, it could be the Baby Star, but mine don't seem to have the white star so clearly pronounced, don't you think? also, isn't Baby Star a younger hybrid?

thanks Fishing Dentist, I will see how they held up with our latest freeze (3 nights with lows to 26F). The foliage is mush but the bulbs are still firm.

HWA, (danke, diese Sorte gibts bestimmt auch in D, oder? wenn nicht muesste ich dir wohl eine im Koffer mitbringen :-) )
    I never cared for names either, but I am getting asked for names and can't answer, so I thought I look into it. I have two other Hippies, both orange, one smaller and one larger, and with one I am totally out of luck. but I don't want to swamp you all with my ID questions ;-)

13 years ago

Hi Evelyn,
    I think you are right, since I've read that Baby Star was registered in 1991 and you've had your flowers for longer than that haven't you..and Baby Star is also a miniature with flowers around 4" +/-. Yours is lovelier. Don't hesitate to post pictures of anything else you might have that you want an ID for, all the experts here, (not me) love a challenge!

Donna

• abendwolke
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hm! the flowers aren't as big as my Red Lion, that's for sure. The time may fit as well, if the prev. owner bought them when they were first registered. I know for sure they were in that yard in 1993.
    so maybe it is the Baby Star afterall
    Donna, ok, I will post my orange one for ID in a separate thread....

I received several emails asking to trade, some I had to fish out of the spam folder. I believe I answered all of them, but just in case, if you did not receive an email back, I missed your mail, please contact me again :)

• haweha
    13 years ago

This heirloom hybrid is conspicuously different from "Baby Star"
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/haweha/0887.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:3028}}

• abendwolke
    Original Author
    13 years ago

so we can rule out Minerva and according to joshy it is no Ackermannii either.

now what :-/

• abendwolke
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Blancawing, I received your email and I did reply :) I am looking forward to trading with you.

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Alright,

I did a bit more research about 'Ackermannii', there are two forms, 'Ackermannii' *a cross between H. aulicum and H. psittacinum* and 'Acramannii Pulcherrima', the latter being a cross between H. aulicum x H. x johnsonii.

The other form 'Ackermannii' is a solid scarlet red blooming in the fall, it's shaped very similar to H. aulicum with the upward facing blooms and almost purple tipped stigma.

Here is a picture of 'Acramannii Pulcherrima' according to the International Bulb Society.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Acramannii Pulcherrima'

13 years ago

Well, Evelyn, If we can rule out Ackermannii and Minerva and Baby Star then, you must have a precious heirloom!! You are very lucky since that makes it extra special...! I'm sure by now you've got a list as long as your arm for people who would like one, (including me, heirloom or not):-)!!

Donna

• haweha
    13 years ago

Bitte hier klicken:
    Veuillez cliquer ici svp:
    Please click below:

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/HippeastrumHybrids

• fishing_dentist
    13 years ago

Hallo Hawe!
    Na wenn wir mal da nicht den gleichen Gedanken hatten? :-)

• haweha
    13 years ago

Zuviel der Ehre!
    Ich habe lediglich Deinen Link in "die bequeme Form" naemlich anklickbar gebracht!
    "Gehe hin, und tue in Zukunft desgleichen!"

• abendwolke
    Original Author
    13 years ago

das hilft mir auch nicht weiter, oder seh ich da was nicht?
    (sorry, the German got the better of me ;-) us Germans are just EVERYWHERE *grin*)

you all have no idea how many websites I surfed trying to find a matching picture. But it seems there are hundreds of red with white star varieties.

When in bloom this spring, I will go out with a ruler and see about height and flower size.
    My largest Hippeastrum is the Red Lion (or so I believe), standing next to it, it reaches almost to my hip.
    {{gwi:371540}}
    This one in question is for sure way shorter.

13 years ago

I'm so sorry Evelyn but that doesn't look like a Red Lion to me...that's a tall one alright!

Donna

• abendwolke
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I feel cursed!!!

this is also one of those 'pass-over-the-fence' bulbs. A friend dug them up at his neighbor's yard and gave me a whole bucket full of them. I was so sure that this is the red lion, it would be so fitting the name

• fishing_dentist
    13 years ago

Evelyn the first one is Ackermannii in the page of the Pacific Bulb Society.
    Best regards and greetings from germany. :-)
    Frank

• abendwolke
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Frank, thank you for being so patient with me. I got it now :-)
    why was I so stuck on the name 'ackermannii', I don't know (blonde, I guess)

I want to tell all of you here in the Hippie forum, you are all so friendly and nice, that is why I dared to post my questions. I can tell you from experience on other forums the smart people tend to talk down on the novices, and they prefer for them to just disappear instead of bothering them.

So, thank you all, I do appreciate you sharing your knowledge

Evelyn

13 years ago

Evelyn, Just because you don't know the correct name of an amaryllis growing in your garden doesn't make it any less beautiful or desirable..you notice how people jumped at the chance to acquire one of your first posted pictures..regardless of the name...as for the "Red Lion" that one may be more easily identified if you had a close-up of the face. Red Lion is a solid red..yours appears to have some small stripes from the throat..and it is very beautiful and soooo tall, nothing wrong with that as long as it's not windy:-)

Donna

P.S. The translation button works on my computer, so don't write anything you don't want any of us non-german speaking people to read;-)

• abendwolke
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ROFL, I use the translation button quite often, since I love surfing the sellers' sites in Japan and Thailand, but as you see I just yap nonsense at my fellow countrymen ;-)

ok, here is the one I think of as Red Lion since ever:

it is for sure a big guy:

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

Again - no idea what kind it is. But wow that is great looking!

• fishing_dentist
    13 years ago

Donna we have nothing to hide! :-)
    Evelyn that�s for sure no red lion, but i have no idea, what is it Blondie. :-)
    Best regards

• rene09
    13 years ago

I also have had those red & white striped one for years & no one has id it for me yet. I have many of them as they are great multiplers. i also have some of the other old-fashioned heirlooms. My mother had them in her yard for many years. Names are not too important to me, I grow them for my own pleasure!

• abendwolke
    Original Author
    13 years ago

wonderful Rene, I am glad there are more 'stashes' out there of that great variety :-)
    Interesting, you are also in Florida. So maybe that is correct what Joshy is assuming, this is a result of a FL breeding :-)

well, we always could just make up a name and pass it along as such. Who would doubt us? ROFL

Sponsored
More Discussions