Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two Seedlings... 1st time bloom!!

Posted by dondeldux 6b (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 6, 13 at 8:31

I have two seedlings that surprised me with a bud a few weeks ago. These were done around Feb or March of 2010..so that would make it about 3 years from seed to bloom. I have many more of each of these crosses...these are the only ones to bloom so far.

Fairy Tale x Lemon Star and Exotica x Lady Jane. I notice that Exotica x Lady Jane is a much wider bud than Fairy Tale x Lemon Star..dare I hope that this one will be a double!?
I won't bore you with a blow by blow description of their progress, but will wait until they are about to bloom. Here they are, taken a few days ago..the Fairy Tale x Lemon Star has grown at least another inch since this picture.

:-) Donna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two Seedlings... 1st time bloom!!

I'll be excited to see your crosses as I made the same ones!
K

o

Waiting with great interest!! I have used Fairytale and Lemon Star also, but not x-wise.

o

How exciting! I can't wait to see what they look like. :)

o

Thanks Everyone! I can't wait either!! I can't imagine they'd be as lovely as PuPu's crosses. I lucked out with PapExStasy, but not so sure about these..

smileys emoticons Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Very exciting - can't wait to see what opens!
-J

o

Very exciting indeed.

I believe you'll have one double bloom seeing that fat bud. Hurrahhhh!

Xuan

o

Nice! can't wait to see the (fairy tale x lemon star) cross!

o

Well, OK, I wasn't going to bore you with continuous updates, but I couldn't resist! As you can see the Fairy Tale x Lemon Star is going to be a long necked goose! The other has barely moved..

:-)....Donna

o

so so so.... tense and exciting
cannot wait!

o

Well, here is a peek at the Fairy Tale x Lemon Star and there appears to be 3 flowers, BUT, there is NO pigmentation whatsoever!! How could this be unless I totally screwed up and this is a self of Lemon Star which for the life of me I don't remember doing and wouldn't have done ( I hope)..hmmmm...Donna

o

Either way, I cant wait to see.
Mike

o

if I may quote, well you, just give it time

o

So tense...Donna.

I'm longing to see the blooms. First time bloomers always create tension and excitement!

Xuan

o

Donna, has the first bloom opened yet? Maybe nature created a selfing, despite your efforts to mix up the genetics! -Tina

o

It's not opened yet, and thanksfully no, it not a self!! Some pink/red is finally showing so at least I now know that the cross was correct! There are going to be 4 flowers..should be several more days...

Thanks Everybody...Donna

o

Well here we are!!! Fairy Tale x Lemon Star!! No paternity test needed here, She favors her Dad..right down to the diamond dusting! I would have been happier with a little more blush but this is what she chose to wear this morning. There are four flowers and only one is fully opened but I couldn't wait, so here she is...

Thanks for looking..Donna

o

Cute...needs a name with Fairy and Lemon........
K

o

Well, since she hardly resembles her mother at all, (Fairy Tale) if I do name her ,(which I may not), maybe Blushing Snow.. since she is diamond dusted...I'm not sure she's good enough to name though...the blush is so pale you have to get up really close to see it...

o

Nice soft colors Donna.

o

Citrus Fairy?
K

o

or..Airy Fairy..or, Snow Fairy?

This post was edited by dondeldux on Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 11:58

o

Oh, wow! That's a really nice one! What about "Winter Chill"? hehe.

o

F2 seedlings of that would be interesting

o

By F2, do you mean crossing it back to the parents or crossing it with itself?
K

o

Well some kids just aren't as colorful as their parents...but she is very soft and delicate.

From Recently Updated

I seem to be having trouble keeping this photo in this post so I will try again..

This post was edited by dondeldux on Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 6:46

o

Hi Donna,

That is absolutely beautiful. How about "Diamond Blush" for a name?

Warm Regards,
Fred

o

Fred,

That is a good name!! It certainly fits doesn't it?..Donna

o

Donna she is subtle and sweet. I am surprised though, I thought the red from Fairy Tale would be a more dominant trait. Maybe next year her coloration might darken a bit, even if it doesn't she is a sweet one.

Ashley

o

It will be interesting to see if any of her sibs are a bit more colorful. I made the same cross with Lemon Star as the seed parent so wonder how different that may be.
K

o

I do have many more siblings of this cross yet to bloom. If they all end up pale like this one then I may have to rethink this cross. I really don't remember using Lemon Star as a seed parent but, if I did and it had selfed itself before I put pollen on it then that might explain why she is so pale. It could be just one big goof!! I suppose that there might be some pink in Lemon Star's parentage..well, there isn't much I can do about it now but wait and see what the rest of the results are..Donna

Oh, and I think I like Fred's name of Diamond Blush the best so if it's alright with you Fred I think I'll call her that!! Of all the names, that one seems to fit her the very best!!

This post was edited by dondeldux on Fri, Jan 25, 13 at 9:06

o

Well, here we have the second seedling. Exotica x Lady Jane. Not really an improvement on either of the parents, sort of looks like a single Lady Jane. There are 3 flowers, the first two came out simultaneously and the 3 is much smaller copying Lady Jane's habit of displaying 2 flowers at a time. the scape is 9" so she takes after her father in all respects including the shorter scape. Oh, and as you can see, I was wrong, she wasn't a double. I'd rather a single than a partial double anyway so I really wasn't disappointed too much..I guess these two flowers were too similar to each other to come up with anything astounding but, maybe one of the other seedlings will look better.

Not much difference regardless of what light I take her in, flash or no flash..

Donna

o

Well... Pretty nonetheless. What a long stigma!
How would you describe the color? Looks darker than either parent.
K

o

I'd say it's a dead ringer for Lady Jane, right down to the color..maybe next time the flower will be a little better shaped and maybe larger..could be worse..

o

I kinda like the shape of Exotica x Lady Jane... it's definitely preferable to a partial double. Thanks for doing the split photo with the parents and offspring... it helps give an idea about how genetics play out! -Tina

o

This is the last flower to bloom and this time it has taken on the swirly shape of its mother..Exotica..this one is the best of the three flowers...Donna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here