Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lenanen

'Helios' from Royal Colors

lenanen
12 years ago

Hi everyone and thanks for a great forum. I've been reading posts and threads for some time now and learnt a lot from you guys.

Found Royal Colors a while ago, impressive selection.

I sent in an order immediately when I noticed they had Sonatinis 'Helios' and 'Bordeaux Rascal' for sale. My order was shipped on Friday the 13th and received it the following Friday. Talk about fast!

The bulbs were in great condition and bigger than I expected. Here is a bulb of 'Helios' in the winter light waiting to be potted.

{{gwi:371738}}

Comments (12)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Hi Lenanen and welcome to the forum! Nice to see you can post pictures..please try to show us your pictures as they grow and bloom, we all would love to see them!

Donna

• lenanen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Donna hi and thanks! This is such a nice forum bursting with knowledge and warm humor, really like it here. And I share the passion for photos, I love seeing lots of them posted here.

I promise, there will be pictures of both 'Helios' and 'Bordeaux Rascal' as they develop and - hopefully - bloom.

- Leena

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Leena,

Plant 'Helios' immediately and give it warmth and water (not too much), 'Helios' is very picky and I noticed in the past it will not bloom if in dormancy too long without the correct conditions.

I can't wait to see your pictures ;)

• lenanen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Josh thanks for these tips. I am a novice through and through and all advise is highly appreciated and warmly accepted.

I had it, or actually it's roots to be precise, in warm water for a few hours to encourage new root formation; I also cleaned the basal plate from old roots and dead layer before potting it. Also I tried to make as airy of a potting mix as I could.

So 'Helios' is a picky one... 'Germa' I knew about, but very unlikely to come across that treasure.

Hopefully me and Helios would hit it off, I really love the shape of the flower and the color of course.

- Leena

• lenanen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

'Helios' today :D
    {{gwi:371740}}

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Congratulation..You've done a lovely job and she is thanking you for it! She is very delicate and beautiful..

Donna

• lenanen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Donna!

She is truly lovely, there's something in her that reminds me of 'Jewel', one of my favourites also.

I'll be taking more pictures during the weekend...

• Noni Morrison
    12 years ago

W0w, you got results fast! My Helios and Bordeaux look just like when they arrived. I Hope they are putting down roots now.

• lenanen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Lizalily! :D

Don't despair, everything will turn out just fine. My Bordeaux scape is approx. 10 centimeters now, about 4 inches.

I ordered 1 package of both (3bulbs in a package), and only one bulb out of three has produced a flower scape. The other two are producing leaves and getting fat :D

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

Germa was one of the surprise bulbs I got from Royal Colors!!
    ;-)
    Kristi

• lenanen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kristi Hi :D

bet you can guess what I'm praying for, that that yellowish-greenish shape in the background of the picture would be... G... but it isn't, think it's 'Evergreen' (not bad...) :D

(smileys needed, desperately...)

• lenanen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

One more 'Helios' -

{{gwi:371742}}

In reality the color is true yellow and a beautiful shade of yellow at that, just didn't get it right in the picture.

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus
More Discussions