Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bulb Splitting

Posted by dondeldux 6b (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 26, 13 at 9:08

Does anyone know what triggers a bulb to split in two? Out of over 200 pots of bulbs I only have two that have definitely split and a third I suspect is splitting.
My Amsterdam is one of my original bulbs and you might say it is splitting because it is in dire need of repotting, which it is..then, my tiny Green Dragon not in need of repotting split into two bulbs and, my selfed Shirley May seedling also not in need of repotting appears to be splitting, not quite sure yet...
This isn't the same as a center bulb damaged by rot or NBF that sends up offsets around the basal plate, I have many bulbs doing that.
So, if you have a splitting bulb, post it's pictures here if you'd like so they can all be together...Donna

Shirley May possibly splitting..

Green Dragon..

and Amsterdam. This was most definitely my center mother bulb for years and it IS in need of repotting which I will have to have help doing this spring. It is in one of those heavy cement type pots and I don't know how hubby will get them out without breaking the pot...

Donna

This post was edited by dondeldux on Sat, Jan 26, 13 at 9:13

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bulb Splitting

Donna, let me just throw in here that I love the golfball - the size reference is so helpful. It made me smile. I love it when people throw in a quarter, a golfball, a tennis ball, or a Coke can.

Carol in Jacksonville

o

... Or a jar of salsa!
K

o

I'm not quite sure what happened to my picture in the other post but here is my bulb that I suspect is splitting.

o

I'm not quite sure what happened to my picture in the other post but here is my bulb that I suspect is splitting.

o

Looks just like another hyacinth...! Keep us posted!
K

o

Last year I noticed a bulb in my amaryllis bed that split sideways somehow. It was well into being divided even though an outer 'coat' was still hugging them together. I thought it was so weird.

The leaves are side-by-side instead of being flat together so I don't know how this bulb eventually split.

o

This doesn't look like an amaryllis either..another hyacinth perhaps or maybe tulips??

o

That's what happens Joe, you can see the broken outer layer on my Green Dragon that held them together before it completely split..

o

So I'm looking at some of my bulbs and what I'm thinking has happened to Donna's bulb is there was an offset that started several layers in. So when that offset grew and grew it ended up splitting the bulb. It's not that the bulb just split, it split because of the offset. We've all had offsets that are almost as big as the mother bulb.
K

o

This also happened to me however I know why my bulb started to split. I dug out my bulb and there were little bugs eating my bulb alive and these little bugs kept hiding in the bulb skin layers. I removed all outer layers to see the little bulblets and smooshed all the bugs with a toothpick and sprayed the bulblets with the insecticide. Problem solved for me. This was not due to a virus but a colony of bad bugs.

If I were you I would look very carefully so if it is bugs you can save some thing from the bulb.

AJ

o

I don't have any bulbs splitting like this. I was just looking at bulbs and some with big bulges that indicate a big offset is in the works. If you think about it, some offsets grow off the basal plate, but many times they originate from within/between the layers. Closer to the outside layer would cause a few layers to split as the offset gets bigger, leaving the mother bulb fairly unscathed, but an offset closer to the center layer could give the appearance that the bulb has just split when you really have an offset and inner/ smaller core of the mother bulb. Voila....2 bulbs!
K

o

I have a Sprekelia that I suspect is splitting in two. There is nothing obvious on the outside of the bulb, but there are two distinct sets of leaves coming from the top this season. I'll see if I can get a picture of it posted in the next day or so.

o

I have seen multiple splitting in my seedlings as under.

Mark the difference in leaves with the surrounding same age seedlings.

From Misc 2012

Ayear later

From Misc 2012

Arif

o

Dear Arif,
Wow!! It split into 6-7 or more bulbs!! I can see it by the direction of the leaves in the earlier photo. Thanks for taking the time lapse shots!
Kristi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here