Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

How long do blooms last?

Two of my new bulbs have the longest-lasting blooms I have ever recalled. I have photos of both H. Avanti and H. Pink Rival that I took on Dec 22. They had been open for a couple of days then. It's now Jan 12 and they are still going strong; same scapes, same blooms (5 blooms/scape on H. Avanti!)... And they still look great after more than 3 weeks! I know that some blooms start fading after just a few days (especially if the blooms are pollinated). I'm attributing this longevity to the cold

This post was edited by kaboehm on Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 6:28

Comments (14)

• oleg9grower
    10 years ago

Hi Kristy,
    I don `t know how long bloom Avanti and Pink Rival (especially since I do not have), but I have the longest blooming Ghiraffe.
    {{gwi:372036}}

This post was edited by oleg9grower on Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 10:48

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How long Oleg? These blooms are already 23 days old and still look great.
    K

• dragonstone
    10 years ago

That's pretty awesome. I guess the conditions are just right that the blooms will go as long as they can? Have you tried to pollinate them, or are you just admiring their beauty?

• oleg9grower
    10 years ago

I do not pollinate. Flowers in a room at normal room temperature. Unfortunately I did not date the beginning of flowering recorded. But this variety blooms the longest.

• oleg9grower
    10 years ago

But I do not suppose that the reason is the same. Do you long bloom due to low temperature. At me - as a result of the genetic properties of (I guess).

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

I believe it is genetic first but that temperature can have a smaller effect. Emerald has the shortest bloom time for me - all of them no matter when started last only a few days. I will check when the rest start blooming again in the next few months - or sooner as Papilio(s) has a scape(s) starting to show.
    -J

• haweha
    10 years ago

The Longevity strongly depends on the Air Temperature. Kristi, both Hippeastrums look absolutely great. Five fully opened florets on "Avanti" and four open flowers on "Pink Rival" and two more yet to open respectively, create a stunning" Display - CONGRATULATIONS

Original Author
    10 years ago

The second scape of H. Avanti also has 5 blooms. Those blooms on scape #1 looked great for 28+ days. I think the cool temps and good genes are working in their favor. Hmmmm....
    K

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

since 'cool' is relative, what ARE your actual temps? day? night? looks like a shade house on a pic. so they are outside?

Original Author
    10 years ago

They are outside in pop-up greenhouse. Nights with heater in the GH get down to 40 and daytime temps typically are in the 50s-60s. (the actual outside low temps have been in high 20s and low 30s)

Early mornings with sun can raise the temp in the greenhouse to 80, so I vent it, or go in with a cup of coffee and enjoy the warmth! Scape watch 2014 has started!
    K

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

wow! that's cold ;). and they were producing flowers at these temps since dec?
    curious even more - how often do you water and with what water temp? were these in old last year pots overwintered in GH? so you did not disturb the roots? or were these repotted in the fall?
    wondering how are the roots growing at such low temps?
    i don't see many leaves on the pics. so it's just the blooms?
    i suppose 80F during the day raises the soil temps too somewhat?

• mushibu10
    10 years ago

it's first flower open a week ago ans no all but two have opened. I love the look of the yellow one above!

Leo

• brigarif Khan
    10 years ago

It is the temperature, When they bloom here in their natural cycle it gets so hot that blooms don't last even a week.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Dear Arif,
    Yes, here too, on a warm sunny spring day the GH temps are well over 100F and the blooms fade much more quickly. This winter it was months of cool temperatures and thus I am sure that is why those new bulbs' blooms lasted for nearly a month!
    K

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions