Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
audrey_gw

Amaryllis Temptation

audrey_gw
13 years ago

I think Temptation might be my prettiest amaryllis so far, and I've had quite a few. (Since I'm not good at getting them to rebloom, I usually purchase a new one every year!) The blooms were even pretty from the back, as you can see in the photos.

There were two stalks and each stalk had five flowers. Unfortunately, both stalks insisted on blooming at virtually the same time--and at the same height--so I had to wedge some styrofoam betweem the stems so the blooms wouldn't crowd each other too much. Anybody have a better solution for that? Also, does anybody know what might have caused that strange extra stripe in the flower on the left?

{{gwi:372335}}
{{gwi:372336}}

Comments (8)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Audrey, Your 'Temptation' is just lovely, one of my favorites, and I think I just might just like it better than 'Charisma'..close call. I love it when both stalks bloom at the same time, doesn't happen all that often..I have several small smooth rocks that I use to prop up the flowers when they want to lean, or in your case to pry them apart.. But, you can use anything, but a small rock blends in better than styrofoam..

Please try your best to save this bulb for another year... it's a beauty...and another year you might get a mislabel..at least you know you've got the real thing..

Oh, and as far as the red streaks, It probably won't happen again, this does happen once in a while...

Donna

• mikep_cfl
    13 years ago

I agree with you. I purchased 4 Temptations this year; 3 from VE and 1 from RC. And all 4 bloomed true to name; they were beautiful and so are yours. Of course, the one from RC proved to be the best performer...but...the price for 3 from VE wasn't bad either. Only one scape from each bulb so far.

Nice pics.

Cheers
    Mike

• organicstarbuck
    13 years ago

Wow...the color just pops out at you! Gorgeous.

• audrey_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everybody, for your comments. I get my bulbs from John Scheepers, as they send large bulbs which can almost always be counted on to produce at least two stalks. In fact, the amaryllis I had last year--Gervase, I think--looked as if it were going to send up a third stalk. But that one never actually got very far out of the bulb.

I do still have some of my old bulbs, but I could tell by the number of leaves on them at the end of the summer that they weren't likely to bloom again this winter. I probably don't give them enough light after they bloom, as the space under my grow-lights is crowded. And I usually keep them in partial shade outdoors during the summer. A friend told me they should be getting full sun instead. Is that the answer?

About the only one that does repeat bloom for me dependably is the species type papilio, which has a bud on it now. And it, of course, doesn't actually require a dormant period. Though I think it does sometimes die back briefly when I first set the plants outdoors in early summer.

• Noni Morrison
    13 years ago

Yes, I think you should move your amaryllis to full sun. I left mine in the greenhouse over the summer to protect them from Narcissus Bulb Fly and they did very well, even when the temps in the greenhouse must have been over 100 degrees. Our friend in Arizona says that his have done fine through 114 degree summers outside!

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Oh that's beautiful. If you decide not to try to grow them to rebloom, be sure to offer to trade it. There are lots of folks with nice things to trade for that lovely bulb ;-) (But they really are easy if you give them full sun in summer, and a chilly rest in winter.)

Alana

• Worsleya07
    13 years ago

thoes blooms are beautiful, I have 30 Temptation seeds sprouting im about to plant in peat moss soon. Going to be awhile before i see blooms, but i several other amaryllis growing including two Papillio amaryllis, one of which i cant get to bloom.

• anna_in_quebec
    13 years ago

I recently used a cork to separate 2 simultaneously blooming scapes. I tuck it in gently, then carefully roll it down until the scapes are slightly apart. It does make for a beautiful display to have 2 blooming at once.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm
More Discussions