Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnysideuphill

update on too tall stem and a few pot questions

sunnysideuphill
10 years ago

That tall single stem of red (with four buds on it) gently tipped itself on its side during the night last Wednesday. I got up in the dark and walked into it, panic - thought someone was in my room. Within a second I realized what it was, put on a light, and saw it perfectly extended, seemingly unbroken. The whole pot was on its side in the saucer, with the stem parallel to the floor.So I searched this forum and saw a good suggestion about how to handle it as a cut flower. I cut the stem back to about 18", filled the hollow stem with water and realized that there had indeed been a minor break, as water is arcing out. So I emptied the stem, dried it off, wrapped the little break with a piece of scotch tape, then refilled the step with water and upended in into a water filled vase. Now it is in a vase weighted with those glass floral stones, one bud fully open, the other three in different stages of opening beautifully. Cut at the base of the bulb, the entire stem length, not counting the buds, was 42" before I shortened it for the vase.

The white one bought and planted at the same time is staked and vertical, and blossoming. It's "only" 34" tall. But when I rotate it, it is obvious that a little push would topple it. So I am being careful.

I potted them in 6" clay pots. Obviously neither large nor heavy enough. What sizes do you recommend? Can I pot more than one bulb in a really big squat pot?

And - should I repot these two bulbs in bigger pots for their next stage of growth (foliage)?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor
More Discussions