Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's Flowering Today

Posted by amaryllisfred 6b Cambridge MA (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 10:29

Here are a few things that opened up today in the bright sunshine, despite the freezing cold outside.

Sumatra
 photo HippiesFloweringJanuary2014001_zps918b150a.jpg
Tinkerbell
 photo HippiesFloweringJanuary2014003_zps51dd840d.jpg
Bogota
 photo HippiesFloweringJanuary2014007_zps8da2a791.jpg
Red Garden (about to flower)
 photo HippiesFloweringJanuary2014005_zps48faec1e.jpg
Striatum from Telos - Nice dwarf
 photo HippeastrumStriatum004_zps7ab1f1c4.jpg
x Johnsonii seedlings growing nicely
 photo HippeastrumxJohnsonii_zps5115d9fb.jpg

Warm Regards,
Fred

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's Flowering Today

Look at you posting all these photos!! Way to go!!
Looks like you have many bright spots for all to grow...I'm still waiting for my H. Tinkerbell to bloom. I have a few that have stalled out. My H. LaPaz has 3 scapes all growing at once, waiting for those to open to see if it really is H. LaPaz.
K

o

Thanks Kristi,

Good luck with your Tinkerbell and the unusually cold winter you're having.

Warm Regards,
Fred

o

Wonderful display Fred, congrats!
Your Sumatra resembles my Rosado, but it might be just the light that does it... I don't have Sumatra so pay no attention to my babbling...

o

Thanks Lenanen,

That's the good thing about this wonderful group...there's no such thing as babbling. :-)))))

Warm Regards,
Fred

o

Fred,
Yes....more cold headed this way. Just came in from the GH...it was 80+ degrees there...ahhhh!! Trimmed and weeded a little (something must have dropped seeds just as I was bringing pots in). I have to admit, I'm already looking for scapes on old bulbs, but honestly I know that it is about a month too early for that! Just anticipating...
K

o

I love how they're reaching for the window, after they flower do you turn them or is it something you do all the time?

o

Hi Devon,

I try to turn them, but I have them growing among their friends and when they get too big...I just let them be. I figure they, they know what they want why fuss with them.

Warm Regards,
Fred

o

Congratulations Fred on a job well done! Don't you just feel so darn smart once you master the act of posting multiple pictures?? I know I did, and it took me a while too!

Your flowers are just lovely and we look forward to seeing more of them!

Donna

Don't you just hate this miserable weather!!

o

Hey Fred,
Looks like you will be enjoying blooms for a while yet. I am curious what the plants are in the bottom right of the last photo. Why and how is the medium built up like that?

Bill

o

Hi Bill,

They are Neofinetia Falcata and they are growing in long strand New Zealand moss in the traditional Japanese method. Hopefully this summer, they'll bloom.

Warm Regards,
Fred

o

Hi Donna,

It is a wonderful feeling to finally figure something out and yes, I'm totally done with this dang cold. It's so bad, my dog doesn't care about the squirrels in the garden.

Warm Regards and Keep Warm
Fred

o

Fred,

How long have you had the neos. I hang mine in trees during the summer and they bloom multiple times -- the scent is heavenly and amazingly strong for such a little plant.

Oh and your hippies are gorgeous too!
-J

o

HI Jody,

I have been growing the Neos for 3 or 4 years but I was treating them poorly last year or so and they didn't flower. This year, I plan on putting them and all the other orchids under the grape vine but on a suspended wire shelf for maximum air/wind exposure. I hope this works.

Warm Regards,
Fred

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here