Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amaryllisfred

What's Flowering Today

Fred Biasella
10 years ago

Here are a few things that opened up today in the bright sunshine, despite the freezing cold outside.

Sumatra
{{gwi:372437}}
Tinkerbell
{{gwi:372438}}
Bogota
{{gwi:372439}}
Red Garden (about to flower)
{{gwi:372440}}
Striatum from Telos - Nice dwarf
{{gwi:372441}}
x Johnsonii seedlings growing nicely
{{gwi:372442}}

Warm Regards,
Fred

Comments (13)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

Look at you posting all these photos!! Way to go!!
    Looks like you have many bright spots for all to grow...I'm still waiting for my H. Tinkerbell to bloom. I have a few that have stalled out. My H. LaPaz has 3 scapes all growing at once, waiting for those to open to see if it really is H. LaPaz.
    K

• Fred Biasella
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Kristi,

Good luck with your Tinkerbell and the unusually cold winter you're having.

Warm Regards,
    Fred

• lenanen
    10 years ago

Wonderful display Fred, congrats!
    Your Sumatra resembles my Rosado, but it might be just the light that does it... I don't have Sumatra so pay no attention to my babbling...

• Fred Biasella
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Lenanen,

That's the good thing about this wonderful group...there's no such thing as babbling. :-)))))

Warm Regards,
    Fred

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

Fred,
    Yes....more cold headed this way. Just came in from the GH...it was 80+ degrees there...ahhhh!! Trimmed and weeded a little (something must have dropped seeds just as I was bringing pots in). I have to admit, I'm already looking for scapes on old bulbs, but honestly I know that it is about a month too early for that! Just anticipating...
    K

• HU-17497
    10 years ago

I love how they're reaching for the window, after they flower do you turn them or is it something you do all the time?

• Fred Biasella
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Devon,

I try to turn them, but I have them growing among their friends and when they get too big...I just let them be. I figure they, they know what they want why fuss with them.

Warm Regards,
    Fred

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Congratulations Fred on a job well done! Don't you just feel so darn smart once you master the act of posting multiple pictures?? I know I did, and it took me a while too!

Your flowers are just lovely and we look forward to seeing more of them!

Donna

Don't you just hate this miserable weather!!

• macroclemys
    10 years ago

Hey Fred,
    Looks like you will be enjoying blooms for a while yet. I am curious what the plants are in the bottom right of the last photo. Why and how is the medium built up like that?

Bill

• Fred Biasella
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Bill,

They are Neofinetia Falcata and they are growing in long strand New Zealand moss in the traditional Japanese method. Hopefully this summer, they'll bloom.

Warm Regards,
    Fred

• Fred Biasella
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Donna,

It is a wonderful feeling to finally figure something out and yes, I'm totally done with this dang cold. It's so bad, my dog doesn't care about the squirrels in the garden.

Warm Regards and Keep Warm
    Fred

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

Fred,

How long have you had the neos. I hang mine in trees during the summer and they bloom multiple times -- the scent is heavenly and amazingly strong for such a little plant.

Oh and your hippies are gorgeous too!
    -J

• Fred Biasella
    Original Author
    10 years ago

HI Jody,

I have been growing the Neos for 3 or 4 years but I was treating them poorly last year or so and they didn't flower. This year, I plan on putting them and all the other orchids under the grape vine but on a suspended wire shelf for maximum air/wind exposure. I hope this works.

Warm Regards,
    Fred

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!
More Discussions