Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaylakeman

Exotic Star...is it really?

KayLakeMan
18 years ago

I've just received a plant catalogue which has bulbs of Amaryllis "Exotic Star" for sale.

The photo is striking, showing blooms with red, white and green petals and very dark centres (in the photo it's almost black or at least dark purple)...HOWEVER...the printed description says red with a white star shaped centre...this doesn't jive with the photo. Someone I know also has a copy of the catalogue and the photos are the same.

Has anyone grown Exotic Star or know of it, and if so, is it more like the printed description than how I have described the photo?

The description also says up to 18 blooms.....?...and it isn't cheap!

Comments (51)

• kenny_bln
    18 years ago

Hello Lakeman

I am not sure of the description but could you share the name of the company Please

• Amanda (asarumgreenpanda, z6MA)
    18 years ago

Kaylakeman, the thread linked below shows a picture of Exotic Star. It's dark red/maroon/raspberry (depending on how you see color) striped on creamy, greenish white. It's a papilio hybrid and the blooms have that characteristic papilio shape.

I got mine this fall from John Scheepers. They sent a large bulb, which has produced three scapes. Each scape has only two flowers, though, at least on mine. 18 flowers is a bit hard for me to imagine from a single, newly-planted bulb. But you never know.

Amanda

Here is a link that might be useful: aaron_uk's thread

• kniphofia
    18 years ago

Mine is blooming at the moment. The colors resemble Giraffe but the shape is very different.

My photo will show why it's called Exotic STAR..

Here is a link that might be useful: Exotic Star amaryllis

• romando
    18 years ago

Yes, I have exotic star as well; it looks just like the above photo link. Beautiful! I lucked out and found mine at a local nursery (no more left; I should have stocked up!) for $8.99! What in the world is the matter with me that I didn't get more? With no shipping cost to deal with! Sheesh...
    Amanda 'romando'

• KayLakeMan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks to all for the responses. I will be buying...even with the shipping charge (ouch!). By the way, the catalogue photo vs the sites listed is more exotic than real life...people will be expecting something much more 'green and purple'

Kniphofia, that's a great site for some extra detail of different varieties. Others should check it out.

Kenny Bln...It's a Canadian reseller (packager of others' plants)so I do not know if it is of interest to you. This is the only Amaryllis in the catalogue. Let me know if you still want the name.

• kenny_bln
    18 years ago

Yes I am still intrested in the name
    Thanks in advance

• soultan
    16 years ago

Jodi,

Do you have any more of your Exotic Star pictures?

• houstonpat
    16 years ago

Soutan, Here's a picture of one of my Exotic Star.
    {{gwi:372583}}

• soultan
    16 years ago

Wow. That's a beautiful picture... Indeed... I am not really fond of Exotic Star, but this picture is stunning!

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

This is a shot of a bloom from the first scape... I didn't get shots of the second, but a third is about to open, and I'll try to get a good shot of that one, as well...

Exotic Star...
    {{gwi:372585}}

• soultan
    16 years ago

Too bad it does not last long... The bloom would be very delicate and interesting.

• dizzy77
    16 years ago

Wow Jodik,
    That really is a stunner. The stripes are really quit amazing. Will you be self pollinating this one?

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

I self pollinated one of the blooms from the first scape, and it appears to be ripening... I'm not sure if the second scape took, and I'm waiting for the third to open so I can pollinate those blooms, too...

The other blooms from the first scape all aborted... I had bred it to Amalfi and Sweet Lilian, but was not successful.

Well, at least I think there'll be seeds from a self pollination! I really like Exotic Star... I wish the flowers lasted longer!

• soultan
    16 years ago

Jodi, if there will be bumps in the middle of the seeds, then they are viable, since they have the embrio in them. If they are flat and nothing inside, then they are just chaff.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

I'm hoping for some "bumpy" seeds! I certainly hope I end up with at least a few viable seeds...

You are right, though... failures are many, successes are few!

• soultan
    16 years ago

It all depends. If you go at it with a scientific mind like Hans, you can minimalize your failures... But I am just doing it for fun, so it is only the successes that matter.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

I am optimistic... I hope for success, and I know that some failure will occur... that's just nature... and since I am having loads of fun doing this, I'll be happy with whatever seeds I get! This is only my first time breeding any plant, so any seeds will be a complete success to me!

By next year, I should know more about all this, and my success rate should be a tad higher...

• dizzy77
    16 years ago

Jodik,
    I think by this time next year you'll be an expert!!

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Haha! I doubt that, Dizzy! I second guess myself way too much... if I can have all my bulbs survive until this time next year, I'll consider myself less of a novice!

• haweha
    16 years ago

Hi all :)

Did anyone éver observe more than 2 indiv. flowers on a scape of "Exotic Star"?!

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Sir Hans... my Exotic Star is on its second scape blooming, but both scapes have only produced two flowers each... I wondered about that... most other Hippeastrum hybrids produce at least four blooms per scape... why only two on this one?

• haweha
    16 years ago

The two properties of
    flowers having "strongly papiliogene complexion" and
    "2 flowers (seldom 3) per scape" appear to be genetically and thus almost unseparatably associated - and I found that exemplarily confirmed in all of my FIVE siblings of the "PapDonAmb" grex (H.papilio x ["Donau" x "Ambiance"]). Now, Exotic Star turns out to be a further example which does confirm that presumption.

• soultan
    16 years ago

I thought the same right when it was blooming for me. It is a tweaked down Papilio. And the short bloom life was even a more negative effect.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

I do find the flowers to be very beautiful and colorful, though... it's too bad the time span for open blooms is so short, and the scapes don't produce more flowers... but I still like it... I can't help it!

I have a seed pod forming on my Exotic Star, although, it is only a self pollination that I did... the crosses all failed.

• mariava7
    16 years ago

That's one more thing about Exotic Star. Mine seems to be sterile, bothways. And this variety is a HUGE plant. I am currently letting it grow indoors and it has grown to 3 feet tall. I think it will need to go and rest in the garage too. If it weren't for it's flowers' characteristics, you won't even know it is a decendant of Papilio.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

The scapes on my Exotic Star are/were very tall! I almost had to stake it to keep it from falling over! Actually, it's leaning on the window frame a bit...

I would imagine that if the scapes are that tall, the leaves will be extremely long! I would prefer if it were a bit shorter and gave up a few more blooms per scape, but I really do like the flowers very much!

As I said, I think I may have seed pods coming along... they are only Exotic Star x Exotic Star, but at least there might be seeds!

• elizabeth_jb
    16 years ago

Maria,

Please try again! I made numerous Exotic Star crosses last year, in both directions, and they are growing seedlings now!

I am not sure about the selfing (documentation error), but I intend to try again this year.

• haweha
    16 years ago

My personal recommendation is to cross Exotic Star with Trumpets, whether Amputo, Misty, Pink Floyd, Striped Panther or... H.x johnsonii!

Where are the spotted trumpets... I want to see trumpets with dots!

• elizabeth_jb
    16 years ago

Exotic Star X Misty and Misty X Exotic Star are amongst the seedlings that I now have growing.

The H x Johnsonii in the gardens will probably bloom too let unless saved pollen will last long enough or one of the potted ones surprise me.

I don't have Stiped Pather, but that would be a fantastic cross!

Spotted Trumpets!!!!! How FUN!

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Sir Hans... I'm not entirely sure, but it looks suspiciously like my Exotic Star is going to open two more blooms on the third scape!! And that will make a total of four flowers on scape number three!!

I'm not sure what to breed to Exotic Star now... the other pollens I have available are from Pamela, Exposure, Hermitage and Limona...

It appears that the only seed pod to survive on Exotic Star is a self... but I do have 3 other flowers to breed on scape 3...

• mariava7
    16 years ago

Elizabeth...Yes I will try again for sure. Maybe I just did not have the right/viable pollens or diploid variety to accept XStar's pollens. XStarXMisty and vise versa would definitely be very interesting.

I have a line-up of diploids (trumpets and cybisters) to be planted and established ones are currently resting (with leaves). My XStar is still actively growing just like the Papilios. I wish it would give me a Jan/Feb bloom to pollinate. I am just not to excited about producing seedlings that would inherit XStar's characteristics of having 2 flowers/scape,flower's short life span and huge over-all plant growth. That would be a disappointment for me even if the flower is pretty. The only thing that I really like in XStar is the flower's butterfly shape, dots and stripes. Given a choice, I would rather breed Papilio than XStar. But that doesn't mean I would not try, specially if I have extra flowers to pollinate.

Sir Hans...Thanks for suggesting that dotted trumpet. I would take a note of that.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

A trumpet with dots does sound extremely interesting and exciting! Alas, I have no trumpets to breed! I do have Amputo and Pink Floyd on my infamous wish list, but it will be at least next year before I can obtain them, or any others!

Maria - should I treat my Exotic Star as an evergreen, then? If it's like Papilio Butterfly in any way, obviously it's a relation, then it won't rest or flower as other hybrids would typically? And after looking at my Exotic Star this morning again, it DOES have a total of four flowers on the 3rd scape!!

• mariava7
    16 years ago

Jodi...I really don't know what to do with XStar. This is my first year growing this. I am planning in putting it to rest for it is occupying too much space. And with no decent lighting indoor, it's leaves are just so unruly now. It's useless for me to let it stay evergreen if it is not growing right.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

I think I will just let Exotic Star tell me what it wants to do... if it stays green, then I will keep caring for it as usual... and if it decides to rest, then I will put it to rest...

Today, the third bloom opened on the third scape! By tomorrow, the fourth bloom should be opening, and then I'll take pictures! Apparently, Exotic Star doesn't usually have that many blooms per scape...

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Here are couple of pictures showing my Exotic Star with 4 blooms... this is its 3rd scape... 3 blooms are mostly open, with the 4th just beginning to open...

Exotic Star
    {{gwi:372588}}

{{gwi:372590}}

Thanks for looking!

• salpal
    16 years ago

That's some impressive blooming on your exotic star Jodi. Also I think you should be proud if you get seedpods on it that were selfed, I wish I could get mine to self!

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Salpal - So far, I have one seed pod almost ripe and ready to burst! There is a possibility that more are forming on the 3rd scape... it's a bit too early to count those chickens, though!

I love the flower, but it fades so fast... and I think if the scapes were a bit shorter, it would be almost perfect... Since I have one seed pod so far, and more than two blooms per scape, I'm pretty happy with this particular Exotic Star.

• elizabeth_jb
    16 years ago

Jodi,

Nearly every seed pod that I pollinated on my Exotic Star produced LOTS of seeds. I was careful to pollinate them with Diploid pollen. I learned about Diploid vs. Tetraploid from my daylily friends and help from a friend named Hans-Werner.

Last year, I had one Exotic Star. I thought I had purchased more on discount, but they turned out to be Exotica instead, and since they are so marvelous, I did not complain (sorry, Hans-Werner and others, I should have).

Anyway, I did take some notes, and the third scape on my original Exotic Star produced 3 blooms, not 2.

This year, I have 5 bulbs that are currently growing scapes, thanks to a generous friend and the availability of them locally. The first opened a bloom today, and it was very different from what I saw in the blooms last year. The difference? These are near or under fluorescent lights as opposed to real sunlight which the one from last year recieved. Also, this bloom is much smaller, less color and less dramatic.

I would say that I would move them outside, into to patio, where it is cooler, but right now, it is not cooler. We are having record breaking high temps of 80 degrees, so the patio is not at the moment, cooler than inside the house.

Environment has a lot of impact on these blooms, and I see it more and more as I observe...

• haweha
    16 years ago

Environment has a lot of impact...
    En effet! Cool-and-bright is the perfect recipe for perfect flowers of maximum size and color saturation!

But, since you observe that the flowers of your newly purchased Exotic Star are so much smaller, I have the suspicion that these are not Exotic Star at all :-(

• elizabeth_jb
    16 years ago

Hans-Werner!

That may be... I simply do not know at this point. These blooms look like Jodi's recent pics, but the bloom is what I would refer to as miniature, not full sized like the ones I saw last year.

We are getting a cold front this weekend, so all will go back outside to the patio.

Thanks for the input, and we will see... I have one on the patio that is emerging more slowly than the rest. I simply do not know...

Your observations are quite keen and appreciated, Hans-Werner. I will post pictures later!

Thanks!

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

In my observations, I have noticed that a lot depends on temperature and amount of light... I am having so much fun watching all these lovely bulbs grow and blossom and set seed pods! It's just an amazing experience!

I am learning about diploid and tetraploid, too, but as of now, I'm not sure which is which when it comes to my bulbs... some I have written in my journal, but I'm not sure which all of them are! According to the information I've gleaned so far, cybisters are diploid... most large flowered varieties are tetraploid... breeding tet to tet is supposedly very easy, while crossing diploid to a tet is nearly impossible... I hope I have that right...

I'm just excited that so many of my pollinations are producing seed pods! This first season with my Hippis will be a learning experience... next season with them will be a lot more organized, and I'll know a little more of what to expect!

Good luck with your bulbs, Elizabeth! I hope they turn out to be the variety you want! In any case, they'll be beautiful flowers!

• elizabeth_jb
    16 years ago

Thank goodness, the colors are more vivid this morning.

Hans-Werner, this one has dots covering the filaments and style.

Here is the bloom:

4 out of 5 of my new Exotic Star bulbs are showing their 3rd scape. The 5th one is outside on the patio (where it gets some cooler days and nights).

Jodi, according to my notes, my last year's Exotic Star produced a third scape with 3 blooms.

We have been having record breaking high temps (80 degrees), but cold fronts arrive this weekend, so I plan to move all, but one, to the patio. The one will be kept isolated from the others that are in bloom so that I can self pollinate it.

Cheers!

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

That's a beauty, Elizabeth! Great picture! There's something very amazing about the burgundy/green color combination, and the striping or dotting... it's a wondrous flower...

My Exotic Star had 2 blooms on scapes #1 and #2, and 4 blooms on scape 3... scape 1 aborted all pollination attempts, but scape 2 has one huge pod! Scape 3 may give me seeds, but it's too early to tell for certain... while the flowers may not last long, the scapes do not die back fast after the flowers have faded...

• soultan
    16 years ago

Elizabeth, I had the same experience with Exotica. It bloomed for me with three scapes, almost at the same time, but the blooms were miniature. I think it is due to mishandled bulbs. They want to flower, but they cannot support large flower, so they downsize. My Exotica was as big as Top Choice.

• houstonpat
    16 years ago

This summer, while still attached, I lost the two good sized offsets from my Exotic Star mother bulb, due to rot. The bulbs were subjected to same temps, water and light as the bulk of my papilios. I must conclude that this cultivar is more sensitive to rot than H. papilio.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

I'm sorry about your loss, HoustonPat... it's a good piece of information to know, though... I would think then, that Exotic Star gets its height and rot sensitivity from a Hybrid ancestor...

Even though I like the flower a lot, I'm not thrilled with the too-tall scapes that don't fit the smaller blooms, and it's fast-fading action... An improvement on ancestry, it's not!

• elizabeth_jb
    16 years ago

Thanks so much for the input, Patrick!

Since I have 6 of these now, I had really hoped to try some in the ground, BUT! Your weather is very similar to mine when it comes to rain, yet you are warmer in the winter months.

Taking that into account, I think these will go in above ground, brick lined beds with extra protection and LOTS of drainage.

Thanks, again! I hope you will share more of your experiences with various hippeastrum in the garden because your experience helps me a LOT! I am an over-protective MAMA!

Or maybe you should call me a chicken? Cluck! Cluck!

When it comes to my treasures, I definitely am...

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Elizabeth... I'm a huge chicken, too! I don't want anything to happen to any of my bulbs! I'm even scared to death to bring them outdoors for a little R&R this coming summer, although I know I should... it would be good for them to get all that natural sunshine and rain... and it will most likely help them regain some size and health from flowering so heavily...

They're like my little plant children! And I'm the over-protective mother, afraid to send them out into the big, bad world! Crazy, I know... but that's how I feel!

• elizabeth_jb
    16 years ago

Most of the self-pollenated blooms have failed. I am still watching a few, but right now, I am losing hope to get seeds from a selfed Exotic Star.

I have saved a lot of pollen, and I have four Misty scapes forming as well as a B&B Papilio and Scheepers Papilio. I hope to have a Johnsonii to bloom while the pollen is stll viable, but that remains to be seen.

I'll keep y'all posted!

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

I've heard that Exotic Star is tricky to breed... I just got lucky, and one large pod formed... I don't even know if the seeds are viable yet...

My best pod producers so far are Limona, Pamela, Exposure, Picotee and Hermitage... there are small pods beginning to form on a few other plants, but it's too soon to tell if they will make it all the way to ripe!

Aborted pods and failures have been many, but it makes the ripening pods on the few plants that have them so much sweeter!

I wish you luck with your breedings, Elizabeth!

Sponsored
More Discussions