Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

Do you think this is H. striatum

grant_in_arizona
12 years ago

Hello Hippeastrum fans,

Hey, I was wondering if you could take a look at the pics below and let me know if you think this plant is H. striatum? A friend had been growing a plant for 30-something years from a division from her grandmother's plant and never really knew what it was other than an "amaryllis". She sent out some seeds and this is the result. It looks identical to her plant, and to other plants some other friends grew from her seed. I think it's striatum, but I'd love to hear what you think.

It's outside year round on my south facing covered patio. I've also planted some in the ground on the east side of my house and they've done really well. This thing makes bulblets/offsets like no one's business, actually breaking a couple of very think terracotta pots in the past. I love its vigor and it's generally evergreen leaves.

I put Wilson the tennis ball in the first pic to show relative size. The other small orange blooms in the foreground are some Cyrtanthus blooms, another favorite of mine that really does well here.

{{gwi:372680}}

{{gwi:372681}}

{{gwi:372682}}

Thanks for any confirmations or alternate ID's. Happy gardening,

Grant

Comments (14)