Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

2 blooms / scape - question

This past year I have been in communication with a Hippeastrum breeder in Lisse who will not bring an extraordinary hybrid to market because it 1) typically produces 2 blooms/scape and 2) it doesn't reliable produce 2 scapes.

Maybe the response from this group would convince him otherwise so that he would offer a limited number of bulbs to us. Please let me know if you would be interested in buying bulbs that are very beautiful, but only put out 2 blooms/scape and may only produce a single scape.

Think of H. Papilio...typically 2 blooms/scape and puts up scapes very sporadically. Would that keep you from buying it?

Hmmmm.
Kristi

Comments (26)

• johnsonm08
    11 years ago

I am interested. I think those of us that grow the plants long term vrs those who treat them as disposable would be more interested. I have been known to cut scapes off of new bulbs (!!!) when I thought it might affect the long term health of the plant. I have several specie plants too and wouldn't expect more than 2 flowers per scape. Pics????
    Mike

• haweha
    11 years ago

The Breeder cannot show OFF, the Object of Lust, in the very First-Place?
    Pics or it did not happen!

Show me yours I show you mine
    "PapDonAmb2"
    at least has this one very good, almost Clivia like leaves

{{gwi:373048}}

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the bloom. I have pleaded with him to offer this. Donna is also aware of the trouble I have gone through as she was the one to bring this to my attention. But the breeder won't offer it because it usually only puts on 2 blooms on 1 scape and doesn't reliably put out 2 scapes.

Hans-Werner...I'm not sure I understand your question...phrased as a challenge, but the photo is posted as a response....

K

• HU-17497
    11 years ago

I think there's a few of us that would be interested, but at what cost.

Original Author
    11 years ago

It shouldn't be any more than what we currently pay from other companies in The Netherlands. I would even be willing to take the whole lot and then ship to others in the US. I just have tried (as an individual) to convince the grower that we want/grow H. Papilio and it doesn't usually put out more than 2 blooms on a single scape at any given time.

I'm just trying to see what kind of support/interest there is. Maybe we could get 25 bulbs out of them this fall to see how we like them and how they grow in the hands of hobbyiest...a favorable or unfavorable reaction might then help make up his mind.

I'm sure this isn't the only beauty out there!
    K

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

I would love to buy any of Hans-Werner's outstanding creations in a heartbeat IF they were available.. but, since they're not, I would love to console myself with a couple of bulbs of Ratatouille which is posted above.

I don't think there is anyone out there who would bypass papilio because it only puts out 2 flowers and/or one scape. Not to mention that papilio likes to take a year off from blooming every now and then.
    Many of the species that people would give their eye teeth to own also only produce two flowers..not to mention the Japanese hybrids that everyone loves so much. I wonder if they saw the prices that people paid for them on EBay and most of them only had two flowers..

Well, Many Thanks to Kristi for her efforts in trying to persuade them to sell their bulb..

I wonder how many of you reading this would in fact be interested in owning a Ratatouille?

It looks to me (just my opinion) that Ratatouille has some papilio in it's parantage..what do you think?...Donna

Original Author
    11 years ago

Funny that you brought up the Japanese bulbs. Those prices were "highway robbery" and the prices on the Japanes site sent to Japanese addresses were in the range of $6 - $15/ bulb.

I think if we are willing to pay those eBay prices then breeders and growers may raise prices to see what the market will bear.

K

• ajsblu_eyes
    11 years ago

Sign me up for a couple ;)

AJ

Original Author
    11 years ago

There's no signing up to do! But I take it that if they were to offer them at a reasonable price, you would be interested!!

NOTE EVERYONE!!...I am not taking orders...just wondering if only 2 blooms on 1 scape would put you off this or similar bulbs!

K

• dragonstone
    11 years ago

Two blooms on one scape wouldn't bother me if the flowers were interesting to look at - like the Papilio as mentioned. From the provided picture, the flower design is a beaut. I can't imagine anyone not buying one.

There's no problem with selling this flower to hobbyists, that's for sure. Does this mean his hesitation is because he's usually growing them for people to buy as a big, showy seasonal flower before tossing them?

• mariava7
    11 years ago

I have no problems with 2 blooms per scape "if" the flowers are pretty. I grow Hippies for the pleasure of seeing beauty and not for the $$$ in the cutflower/bulb business anyway. The Dutch varieties were created first and foremost...for the cutflower business thus the need for tall scapes, reliable bloomers with at least 2 scapes/bulb per blooming season and at least 4 flowers/scape. The Japanese varieties are bred for beauty.

Quality vs. Quantity

• haweha
    11 years ago

K. - I simply meant to encourage him: "SHOW IT"

As to commercial success of this Papilio Hybrid, I am sceptical. Put it besides one "Ambiance"and it will be - I liken it to other Bodybuilders on the stage with the Austrian OAK, Arnold Schwarzenegger, totally "Unconspicuous". I am sorry but honest. If the color was Brilliant Red OR deepest Burgundy Red, OR/AND the white Midribs clearly defined OR/AND the Edges of the Tepals magically-frilly OR/AND the blooms showing strongly upwards, THEN I would ascribe a measurable likelihood of commercial success.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, maybe the breeder has taken all if this into consideration and that's why he won't sell the bulbs. The entire inventory of this hybrid is for sale, though.
    K

• haweha
    11 years ago

Hello K,
    is that hundreds of copies from the same clone in the background, or is it rather tons of SIBLINGS? Methinks the latter. I bet there is several specimens I would judge for "promising".

Original Author
    11 years ago

The nice thing about Hippeastrum is that there are so many different hybrids available that there's always something that appeals to someone! Shape, size, color, frills, scent, orientation, height, etc... There is something for everyone!

I haven't been in these greenhouses so don't know what the others are, I am guessing, as did you, that this may be an early-stage photo as they are growing out the different crosses.

K

11 years ago

It looks a little different here...

Here is a link that might be useful: Ratatouille

• haweha
    11 years ago

STUNNING!
    And veryy obviously more florets per scape.
    Now I want to have one, of THESE
    it is more majestic than my "PapMinPic"
    {{gwi:373050}}

What is going on here?!
    If this is the same clone, then the breeder has done themselves a bad service, by providing the first picture.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmm... Odd because the photo I posted is from their site! I do know, as does Hans-Werner, that at the Keukenhof show they pick the best of the best.. The biggest, brightest, and scapes with the most blooms. The breeder said the bulbs don't reliably produce more than 2 blooms.

The photos that Donna posted just raise more questions.

Hans-Werner, your PapMinPic is beautiful!

We just may never know, maybe the photo I posted is a first bloom and with maturity the bulb produces nicer and "more acceptable" blooms. Hmmm.
    K

• lenanen
    11 years ago

Pity Royal Colors doesn't have it on their list. Maybe in the future?

• ajsblu_eyes
    11 years ago

Kristi

I kind of figured we weren't taking orders I was joking :)(I need to remember how I phrase my comments can be taken literally) my way of saying I agree I like Ratatouille and would definitely order it if I had the chance. I am partial to any cross with Papilio heritage.

Ashley

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well either the breeder needs to offer it or, since the entire stock is for sale, someone needs to buy it and then they can offer it.

K

11 years ago

This morning I got an email with a very "suspicious" looking link (in Russian) from Kristi.. so, after much ado and checking with Kristi I dared to open it and look what she found!! Probably the best picture to date!!..Donna

Original Author
    11 years ago

Dear Hans-Werner....check for an email in the next day or so from my home address.
    Kristi

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

I would be interested in at least 1 bulb, maybe 2, depending on the price. It's a gorgeous flower! -Tina

• haweha
    11 years ago

Awwwh...
    This picture is, beyond doubt, concvincing TOO.
    Thank you for retrieving this!
    I am inclined to assume, the breeder had said "2 SCAPES only" in the first place.

Original Author
    11 years ago

They very specifically said it isn't a reliable bulb in that it typically puts out only 1 scape and only then only 2 blooms on that scape. I guess we'll see what happens in the future.

I think I had sent Donna excerpts from some of the original emails exchanged between the breeder and I.
    K

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm