Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshy46013

Royal Colors Offering 'Sonatini' Hippeastrum!

joshy46013
13 years ago

Hi Guys

Royal Colors is offering the 'Sonatini' Hippeastrum right now, 'Balentino', 'Alasca', 'Helios' and 'Lollypop'!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sonatini Hippeastrum

Comments (10)

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

The red one, Balentino, is one that was included in the Breck's "hardy" collection. Too bad they don't have that pink one too!

Alana

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Alana,

I was hoping they'd have the pink one :( I contacted B.V. breeding and spoke to them about 'Flamingo', they're no longer cultivating it, it was too difficult they said. :( I loved the fact it was so loose compared to most trumpets, you don't find that often!

I did buy some 'Lollypop' and 'Helios', I also ordered Brecks hardy collection HOPING I'll get the 'Orange Rascal' and "Viridi Rascal'!

I

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Does Brecks still have that "hardy" collection? I haven't seen it recently offered. (I still put "hardy" in quotes since I haven't had the heart to test their hardiness... but this winter I will with one of the bulblets!)

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Alana,

Brecks does still have them, I just ordered them for the 2011 spring season.

Royal Colors also calls these Sonatinis hardy, they stated on their facebook they're hardy to -10 degrees Celsius. If you plant them a good 5 inches down I think they'd be okay. I've got a lot of bulbs from Lowe's that I'm going to plant out in a very protected spot this spring. Supposedly 'Apple Blossom' is incredibly hardy too! I know of a few people in zone 6 that overwinter Hippeastrum xjohnsonii and it successfully flowers every year!

Josh

• Noni Morrison
    13 years ago

Joshy, thanks so much for the link! I was almost shaking with excitement while I ordered mine, LOL. I had not seen this link on Facebook yet so your announcement was timely!

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

I didn't see where RC had said they were hardy to -10, so thanks for pointing that out, Josh. I left all my Red Lions out this past year and will see how they do. I'll have to try leaving my Apple Blossom out as well - it's getting a little big for putting in a pot these days anyway. I'll have to check out Breck's again. I'm excited they're carrying those hardy bulbs again (like I need more ;-).

Alana

• houstonpat
    13 years ago

Thanks Josh.
    Although the last thing I really need is more bulbs, I just couldn't help myself. :) Does anyone have tips on growing the Sonatinis or "Evergreen" ?? (other than usual)
    Patrick

• ajsblu_eyes
    13 years ago

Patrick,

Those that I have seem to be similar to other Hippies. Mine were more sensitive to humidity than the larger variety but I don't know if it was just the ones I received or the Georgia summer climate itself. They also produce many offsets, of the five I have four of them have offsets.

AJ

• hatta
    13 years ago

Thanks Josh for the info :-)

Wanted to place an order, but I do not need 3 of each varieties.

Contacted Paul, and he said that he would be adding more packaging options. So, I am waiting ... hoping that they will not be sold out!

Hatta

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Does anyone have success growing these bulbs in the ground in zone 6? Thanks, Karen

Also, in case anyone is interested to buy them, Dutchbulbs.com (formerly k van bourgandien) have them for sale (3 for $20)

This post was edited by kousa on Mon, Feb 2, 15 at 9:49

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer
More Discussions