Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara947

Amaryllis-just growing leaves

sara947
14 years ago

I recently got an apple blossom amaryllis for Christmas. I've been watering it weekly and currently have three large leaves. After reading this site, am I correct in assuming that I won't get flowers this season? However, do I continue to water weekly and let the leaves grow? When do I stop watering-do I force dormancy or just let it do it on it's own? How long does this take?

Thanks.

Comments (4)

• Carl
    14 years ago

If you just potted it in on Christmas there's still time for it to flower. I got my Minerva in September and it's flowering just now.

Rather than watering weekly I'd recommend you to water when the substrate is dry again. Water the way the plant breathes out water, normally in the darker time of the year and when the plant has few leaves, it's better to water less regularly and more depending on how much moisture's still in the pot.

• jim_thomerson
    14 years ago

I'd keep watering. It will take as long as it wants to flower. Darn independent minded plants!

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

Although you still could possibly see the growth of a flower scape, don't be alarmed if it doesn't happen. Some bulbs simply didn't set buds within their previous growth cycle, or something happened to stress the bulb to the point where the buds died... it's impossible to know for certain why the bulb didn't bloom.

Instead of watering weekly, I suggest watering only when the soil feels dry down at root level. It's important that these bulbs not be over watered, and sticking to a schedule is more likely to cause an issue than watering when the plant needs it.

Think of the soil as a kitchen sponge... it should feel damp, but wrung out. And you'll want to allow that dampness to dissipate before adding more moisture. Stick your finger down into the pot as far as it will go, and if you can feel any cool moisture, hold off on the watering. It's better to err on the dry side than to give a Hippeastrum bulb too much water.

Regardless of flowering, you'll want to give your plant as much sunlight as possible. If you're in the north, a south or east facing window will be fine... if you reside in a climate where you can take the plant outdoors, place it in a spot where it will get morning sun and dappled afternoon shade.

You'll want to feed your bulb, too... an all purpose liquid plant food will do fine. Dilute it to about 1/4 strength and water with this solution every time the bulb requires water.

If you want blooms at Christmas, you would force a dormancy by withholding water, starting around the second week in August. You would place the pot in a dark, cool basement or a garage that doesn't freeze, and you would allow it about a 10-12 week rest. Some people will tip the pot on its side so they remember not to water. Once the leaves have died back, they can be removed.

After the 10-12 weeks, check the bulb... there may some bud growth at this point. In any case, bring it back into a warm, bright room and water it. You should see growth begin shortly.

The natural bloom cycle of a Hippeastrum takes place in spring, so if you choose not to force a dormancy, you can grow your bulb like a houseplant, giving it as much light as possible, and feeding and watering as it requires. With good care, your bulb should bloom in spring. It may not bloom the first spring following purchase, but if conditions are right, the following spring should bring blooms.

I hope I've answered your questions. If you have further need of information, we're happy to help! Good luck with your new bulb!

• e36yellowm3
    14 years ago

Hi Sara, I've gotten smaller (i.e. younger) bulbs that didn't bloom the first year. Usually, though, anything you get in a kit from somewhere is old enough and has been prepped to bloom. Just hang in there with it and don't let it get too wet and it'll bloom eventually. Leaf growing is good though so one way or the other you're going in the right direction.
    Alana

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions