Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshy46013

Rules Of The Forum

joshy46013
12 years ago

Hi Guys,

I think it's important that we keep each topic on point as it's important that we don't hijack threads so all parties get the advice and information they need or want.

If you have questions about something different from what is listed instead of asking in an old post please start a new subject. We need to respect others threads; without the proper thread you may get no answers either.

Adding pictures to someones thread of the same/similar plants for comparison is OK, offering advice, comments, information is OK, adding pictures of a different plant and asking advice is NOT OK (unless stated otherwise).

Josh

Comments (20)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

I didn't realize we had these rules...but Josh raises a few good points. There are many times that there is a related question that either may or may not warrant a new thread. As long as listers do the best they can, we'll manage.

Remember, this is Hippeastrum/Amaryllis related. Please don't ask questions about your roses or when is it best to prune your lemon tree. THERE ARE FORUMS FOR THAT!!

Many of us only belong to this forum (at least it's all I have time for) so bragging about an orchid blooming or something OT is somewhat permissable as long as the topic is clearly identified so that those who don't wish to be bothered by nonHippeastrum topics can skip through the message!

ALSO...all members should (not must, but should) provide an email contact on their page so that fellow listers can contact to ask further questions and make trade offers off the forum.

Thanks!
    :-)
    Kristi

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Or...this could happen to you!!

Just joking guys.....

12 years ago

OR THIS...Donna, you're an inspiration!!

12 years ago

OK...I got swept up in the "consequences you would pay for not obeying the rules". I will cease...sorry!!
    :-?
    K

12 years ago

That's it for me..I'm laughing so hard..

12 years ago

As a side note, the search function can be used not only to search for topics by header, but it will also find text within a posting, so you can find good advice even if it's not in the topic heading of the thread.

I've learned so much from this list...we can't take ourselves too seriously! This is informative with just enough humor. Where else can you find photos of listers' dogs!!
    K

• dragonstone
    12 years ago

Is there such a thing as 'necro' here? Instead of responding to an older post that fell off from the first couple of pages, a new thread should be started?

12 years ago

You can resurrect an older post if you wish..I do it quite often..especially if it's your post and you want to update something..or you can start a new post..whatever you wish..we're not hard to get along with, just a little silly today...

12 years ago

I call those ZOMBIE threads...they rise from the dead. Why start another post if you think you can contribute to an old one!?
    ;-)

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I agree, if you can add to it then by all means, resurrect but to ask a question in a post from three years ago probably isn't the best route to get an answer.

I was primarily thinking about someone who posted a pic in Franks thread about his misnamed plant and they were asking for an ID.. They would probably have benefited to starting their own thread instead.

12 years ago

Yup...that's the point that all us listers who have been on for more than a year realize...that if you plop something in the middle of a thread, very few will see it, but if you start your own thread you are much more apt to get an appropriate response.

Did that person have an email if you recall!? That's one of my big suggestions is that everyone should have an email on their page because people may want to help you off list - which is totally ok.
    :-)
    K

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

K,

I looked so I could e-mail them and they didn't :( I agree everyone should have an e-mail, it would be really helpful!!!

• dragonstone
    12 years ago

Nothing wrong with silliness. ;) Makes the world go round or something like that!

I still remember coming to GardenWeb for the first time and being too frightened to post images in threads because of users on dial-up. In every forum I've posted on, it seems encouraged to post the images instead of linking to them because everyone likes to see the beautiful plants.

• oleg9grower
    12 years ago

WOW!
    Excuse me, hello! This is North Korea?
    Certainly not China, Mao's time, this era is long gone as if ...
    And I assumed that the U.S. ...

Then the "constructive proposal" - to introduce pre-censorship, followed by detention for an indefinite time (irony).

12 years ago

Gee Oleg, we aren't that bad. Things just got silly for about 30 minutes. People who KNOW me know that I am entirely too serious!! Precensorship? NAH... Josh was just trying to make some points. I don't know what prompted him, but I'm sure he had his reasons.

One thing that didn't come up was using this forum to advertise commercial endevours. I've only seen that one or two times on forums and it's not been well received. There are a few other self promotion things that straddle the line...but won't go into here.

Anyway Oleg, nothing was meant by the cartoons. If you took offense, I apologize for my participation. It was a "wild" streak and a little fun and not meant to offend.
    Kristi

• oleg9grower
    12 years ago

"Each frog his praises bog!"
    "Point of view a human spec. depends on the tussock seats."

"There is no fire without smoke curtain."

The cartoons?
    Why? Not exists a smoke screens, without of fire signs .
    Or: Lost in broad daylight?

(...Three caps...)
    Since from English is not translated or not translated into English?
    If the first - tell, if the second - I like slang \ phraseology do not use - not TOOO exquisitely.
    For example: a transliteration of "bog" in Russian = "God"

Who is not guilty - that have nothing to apologize really.

Information is dual: it wants someone - so understand.

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh my.... Well, I'm glad to know what impact Kristi, Donna and I have on others. (YOU GUYS + BLANCA MUST SHOW ME HOW TO USE THOSE DARN SMILEYS :) )

Anywho, a person just posted a thread saying they were upset because no one answered their question buried in another posting with a different topic. This is the reason I made this thread is for that very reason, people don't get the answers they seek and are upset.

It's important that we can help the best way possible and there is NEVER just one answer, everyone's advice is just as important as the person above or below too. If anything, someone scrutinizing others for posting their advice or ideas is a problem, not advising people to get the most from their questions.

• blancawing
    12 years ago

Dear Josh,

Just do a Google search for free smileys and emoticons. When you find some you like, save them to your computer and upload them to wherever you store your photos (mine are on PhotoBucket). Once you've done that, you can insert the images into GW posts in the same way that you post photos.

I'm staying out of the rest of this. The way this thread unfolded has me ... ... ... ...

Pax,

Blanca ...

12 years ago

Good Gosh...
    I should have listened to my mother, who so wisely said...
    "You don't need to explain. Those who don't know you, won't believe it, and your friends don't need an explanation."

I'm scratching my head and hoping it's just a cultural difference. Anyone who "know's me" just knows what I meant. I hate to think that we are now forced to be walking on eggshells.
    K

12 years ago

Hi Guys,

We're all here to help one another and I think we do a pretty good job (at least we try)..if we interject a little silliness now and then I don't think we need to apologize..I'm assuming that ALL of us have a sense of humor buried deep inside somewhere.. don't we? And, I agree with Kristi, we don't need to be made to feel that we have to walk on eggshells..do we?
    Certainly, starting an international incident was NOT our intent..nor was offending anyone..just wanted to make you laugh...

Donna

Sponsored
More Discussions