Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
betonklotz

Who am I if not H. papilio?

Carl
9 years ago

I should of course just wait a day or two, but I thought I let you in on the guessing game. I bought this plant as H. papilio, but it obviously is not that. The scapes are 61cm (24 inch) high and the first has 3 flowers. The bulb has a circumference of 24cm (9.45 inch) and a slightly more prolonged neck than the usual, but not as H. papilio is supposed to have.

{{gwi:2122242}}

{{gwi:2122243}}

So, what is your guess?

Carl

Comments (21)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

Tango if pedicels are tan....

• Carl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, they ain't! So ... Lima?

9 years ago

Or....LaPaz. Lima will be more brown, LaPaz is more redish pink. Cant' wait to see it open!
    K

• Carl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, but the the pedicels are really tan! I could not see them properly since the bracts had not unfold. So, I guess it most probably is Tango ... the Seller also sells those. I contacted them yesterday that I would like a return and they did not respond until now.

9 years ago

Ah ha! So....then there are those who say that Tango and LaPaz are siblings, but it seems that Tango has predictable tan pedicels. Maybe someday the mystery will be solved.

Here is Tango (L) and LaPaz (R) at my house. LaPaz seems more "curvy". Tango's lower tepals are sticking out to the side whereas LaPaz's curve downwards and are more green (pedicels are green on LaPaz).

Kristi

• Carl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I browsed the forums for pics of those two and came to the same conclusion as you did. Also is your La Paz a little frilly?

Whatever the exact cultivar may be I will try to pollinate all flowers with "Sydney x Amputo" ... but before that I'll be back with pictures of the blooms fully open.

Thanks for guessing with me! :)

9 years ago

I would say that LaPaz is a little "frilly"....it's fancier than Tango.

• Carl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

{{gwi:2122244}}

{{gwi:2122245}}

So ... I guess its obvious that I have Tango (or LaPaz) here. :)

9 years ago

Tango

• haweha
    9 years ago

Perhaps La Pango?

9 years ago

Hans-Werner.... I LOVE IT!! La Pango!!
    ðÂÂÂðÂÂÂðÂÂÂðÂÂÂðÂÂÂ

This post was edited by kaboehm on Tue, Jan 13, 15 at 6:50

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

Wouldn't that be ...

El Pango

or

La Panga?

Come on, we can't mix the der, die and das'

or kin we?

*grin*

dave

9 years ago

Since this whole thing is a mix-up, I think Hans-Werner has the La and the o just right!

This post was edited by kaboehm on Sat, Jan 17, 15 at 14:22

• jstropic (10a)
    9 years ago

Brilliant !! We certainly are a creative group - aren't we. So much fun here :). - J

• Carl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You guys ... :D

I changed the recent title ... at least I know how to call it now. ;)

{{gwi:2122246}}

Here's a last picture ... the sun came out again yesterday. Even today, but it also became really frosty. Maybe we'll still get a winter this year.
    All seven blooms were dusted with "Sydney x Amputo" ... sadly the stake of Emerald broke off, I would have loved to see the two of them bloom at the same time.

Still no response of the seller. Hans-Werner, did you know of Keyzer's? That is where I bought the supposed Papilio ...

• Carl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I now recieved a replacement bulb in the mail! I was so blown away how fast they where. I was sure they would argue that there are no bulbs available at this time.

But I do wonder if I now recieved a papilio or if it is again a cybister breed. I read that papilio produces long bulbs, more pear--shaped with a long but thick neck. The bulb I recieved is roundish with a small neck. Looks more like a pomegranate.

I wrote back to the supplier and got the reply that they are sure they did right this time ... so, what do I do?

• haweha
    9 years ago

The bulbs of the "common clone" of H.papilio as mostly traded ARE pear-shaped. However, during the years, I saw some "other" H.papilio - the color pattern on their florets differed - and I remotely remember that there was some more "globular" shaped bulbs among these. So, you might have obtained H.papilio from another clone :)

9 years ago

I have put the question to the Registrant at KAVB re: the written description of H. Tango vs H. LaPaz. Let's see if they can resolve the mystery!
    Kristi

• blancawing
    9 years ago

That is great news. Thank you Kristi!

-Blanca

• Carl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kristi, thanks for your trouble! I'll be looking forward to that.

Hans-Werner, I am sure there are differences in the bulb shape. The supplier wrote back to me, that he "checked with the storage and they where sure they supplied the right variety". But I can't believe that the vigorous leaves that are described for H. papilio would emerge from such a tiny neck.
    The bulb looks very much like my "Emerald" where the leaves came out of the neck somewhat folded in on the sides and once a stake got stuck - those of H. papilio should have more problems because of their bigger size.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions