Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajsblu_eyes

New Amaryllis Blooms

ajsblu_eyes
13 years ago

So I did something a little scary for me. I was going to be in AZ for 2 and a half weeks and not around to see some of my flowers bloom so I cut the scapes and carried them onto the airplane.

Brazza

{{gwi:373718}}
Hurricane

{{gwi:373719}}
Flamenco Queen

{{gwi:373720}}
Flamenco Queen Back View

{{gwi:373721}}
Shining Bells

{{gwi:373722}}
Nagano from a cut scape

{{gwi:373723}}
Nagano scape not cut from bulb

{{gwi:373724}}
My $5 clearance find in AZ I believe to be Top Choice

{{gwi:373725}}
My Dads $ 2.50 clearance find in AZ, I think it is Red Lion

{{gwi:373726}}

After finding many of the bulbs I left in AZ last winter had died, my dad helped made me garden boxes with a better watering system and soil mix to hold the bulbs I brought this year.

{{gwi:373727}}
Emerald

{{gwi:373728}}

That is it so far

AJ

Comments (12)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

How great was that! You were able to enjoy your flowers after all! They are all beautiful, some may be a bit pale, but still very lovely. Flamenco Queen is just beautiful and Emerald is soft and wispy..I guess what they are saying now is that you may be able to pollenate a cut flower and bring it to seed just on the stem. Did you try? What an opportunity for an experiment!

Donna

• ajsblu_eyes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was going to try and pollinate multiple flowers however I noticed that the point where the flowers all connected to the scape were weak looking. The flowers had to be propped up or they would all face downward on the scape. I attributed this weakness to the scapes being cut prior to obtaining enough energy to produce strong flowers. The weaker the connection point was for the flowers the shorter the scape stalk.

I hope my description makes sense. I do think that what you describe would work but it did not seem a great idea with my flowers. I collected to pollen and brought it back for stronger flowers to enjoy :)

• Noni Morrison
    13 years ago

Now see, didn't they make nice cut flowers?! And yes, having to pick early means paler ones but still you got to enjoy them! I have never managed to actually get fertile seeds from a cut one but I have gotten half way there. Maybe next time a drop of bleach in the water.....

Did you fly to Arizona or drive? I am wondering if you had any hassles taking them on the plane. Did you carry them in water or dry?

• tiarella
    13 years ago

Your pic of Flamenco Queen helps me ID my blooming plant that was labeled Apple Blossom. Unforunately it took a nose(petal) dive and broke the flowering stalk and dumped the bulb on my bedroom carpet. Interesting to note that though in a small pot (tucked in a larger heavier pot) the root development was quite good. repotted it and cut the stalk and placed it in a glass of water. New bulb blooming labelled Elvas is not; it's Dancing Queen!

• ajsblu_eyes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Even with paler flowers my family and I enjoyed them greatly. I flew on a plane and the total trip was maybe 8 hours. I cut off the top of a big disposable water bottle and filled it with water. Before I went threw security I dumped out the water. I did not have any problems or hassles with security. In fact many fellow travelers were very interested in my flowers. After I got threw the security line I filled the water bottle with water from the restrooms.

If you have to travel and will miss your flowers blooming I Highly recommend cutting the scapes and taking them with you :)

As a side note I checked a suit case with many bulbs I was taking home to AZ. I have done this many times with no problems. I joked with my fellow passengers that were shocked that I could bring the cut flowers on the plane that I looked very dangerous carrying my flower scapes. You never know what crazy flower people will do.

13 years ago

Tiarella, I'm very surprised that you got a Flaminco Queen instead of an Apple Blossom...Flaminco Queen is a fairly new variety..and most of us are just acquiring ours this year for the first time! You were lucky to get this one in a mislabel..!

Donna

• tiarella
    13 years ago

The luck of the Irish! And to add to the drama my Red Lion is coming out with what looks like a white flower.

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Tiarella, where did you get these bulbs? lol

• fishing_dentist
    13 years ago

Flamenco! Donna! :-) Spanish dance! No birds! :-)

13 years ago

Oh Oh, should have been an "e"...but the bird is a "g" (isn't it ?) :-)

Donna

• tiarella
    13 years ago

Josh, bought both bulbs from Target under the Smith and Hawkins name. I bought 3 bulbs and the 3rd one was a Christmas gift to my sister-in-law. I have been trying to contact her to see extactly what she received. It should be Red Lion.

• organicstarbuck
    13 years ago

So beautiful and such deals!!

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH
More Discussions