Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ticodxb

advice on Amaryllis care in a very hot climate please.

ticodxb
12 years ago

Hello,

I just purchased 3 Amaryllis plants a little over a week ago. One has 3 blossoms on it now and the other two should be blooming over this week.

Our low temperatures have just dropped to where we actually feel chilly a few days ago (I am living in Dubai, UAE). It has been about 63F/17C for the last 3 days and over the next few weeks it should drop down to as low as 55F/13C. It would actually feel warm in Colorado (where I am from)at those temperatures but it actually is chilly here.

From what I read I know the Amaryllis blooms don't last long so I would like advice on how to care for the bulbs.

Here is a chart of average monthly temperatures here:

{{gwi:109496}}

By looking at this chart, is it possible to force another blooming before the hell-ish temperatures of the summer?

And how do I care for the plant or the bulb during the hot summer months?

Comments (10)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

There is an FAQ on this message list (it has migrated to about the middle of the messages). Read our FAQ (don't reply to it) and it should answer most of the questions that you have on growing your amaryllis.

Many on the list live in similar climates to yours. One lister in Pakistan has a lovely garden full of plants and he leaves them out in the ground year around.

GOOD LUCK!
    Kristi

• fishing_dentist
    12 years ago

A good, removable shading possibility should be useful, to protect from full sun at noon!
    Best regards

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

Hi there, I'm no Hippeastrum expert, but I have been growing them a long time, and your temps look very similar to mine (Scottsdale, Arizona, USA). I have great success with Hippeastrums (and other bulbs) outdoors year round, as long as they get afternoon shade in summer. My potted ones get full sun autumn, winter and spring, and then I move them to a spot with afternoon shade in summer; otherwise the leaves scald and bleach. The ones I grow in the ground year round are on the east side of my house, or large shrubs, or walls, so that they get that afternoon shade in summer. I'm sure you'll have very good luck. Happy gardening!

12 years ago

Mine near Houston, where the sun and temps can get very hot, are grown under a partial shade. It looks like loosely woven strips of foil, to reflect the heat away. These cloths are available in 10 foot x 12 foot sections with bound off edges. Very sturdy.

Again, goood luck!
    Kristi

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Woah, Grant, I looked at your average summer temps, 105... WOWZA

I don't know how you guys do it!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

I have a friend in Arizona and she continualy says it's because it's so DRY..and I say, well, an Oven is dry....

12 years ago

Austin, TX had over 100 days in a row this summer over 100 degrees. This summer was one for the record books. Heat and no rain. We were doing an AZ imitation.
    K

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

LOL, well, different strokes for different folks I say. Folks here don't understand how people do it in places that freeze solid, so it all evens out. We have 9 months of gorgeous and three months of BLAST FURNACE. Even so, my hipps love it outside and do really well, and I'm a citrus and palm tree nut too, so it's paradise for me. Not for everyone though, that's for sure! I've had trips to the midwest in summer, and returning to 105 F with 7% humidity feels better to me than 93 F with 80% humidity, and certainly better than anything below freezing. But different people like different things, and all are good. I'm from Seattle (moved here in 2000) and I'm probably still overcompensating for having bit wet and chilly for so long. Happy gardening all!

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

Just for fun, here's a link to some pics of my garden right now. Besides lots of hipps here and there, it's full of citrus, flowers, and interesting cacti and succulents. Folks here grow plant in autumn, winter, and spring what folks in cold weather climates grow in summer (my garden is full of geraniums, petunias, and pansies right now). You can visit my main picasaweb page too, which has albums for each month in my little garden. It's a crazy, fun place to garden--if you like heat that is. :) Each climate has it's ups and downs for sure--I'm always envious of the leafy summer plants folks grow in the midwest in summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grants garden pics so far January 2012

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Grant, Thanks for the link to your albums..I'm a Picasa fan too. Now I know what I'll be doing the next time my husband is watching some sports thing on TV..thanks,

Donna