Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anna_in_quebec

Hippie Seedlings and Lights

anna_in_quebec
14 years ago

So - I am steadily gathering information and hope to start the hippie seedlings within a month or so (amongst other things). I have been over at the Growing under lights forum - which maybe is a bad idea, as they can be so technical! So I thought it best to check back with you guys who have already helped me immensely as I forge ahead with my plan.

Question 1: They talk about adding reflective mylar film - do any of you do that or think it necessary?

Question 2: Do any of you find there is a big difference using warm and/or cool bulbs? One of each, or does it matter?

Thank you!

Comments (9)

• npublici
    14 years ago

If you want to maximize the amount of light your plants recieve from the overhead lights,you could use the film on the walls,etc. It's just to reflect the light back to the plants,so that you don't lose any. Some people use aluminum foil.Some use white foamcore.
    If you have no window light then the addition of some warm light to augment the coolwhite bulbs might cause the flowers to bloom,where they don't otherwise.Insofar as just growing,the coolwhites do a great job. By warm light, I mean Incandescent,growlux,or very warm white flourescents.
    Del

• phoenixryan
    14 years ago

The standard T12 bulbs full spectrum tubes are fine for starts and seedlings and are popular for growing low-light plants like herbs and African violets. T5 bulbs are significantly more energy efficient.

Warm bulbs generally promote flowering, while cool bulbs promote overall foliage growth.

I'm using off the shelf fixtures and bulbs from Home Depot in my setup. I have both T5 ($40/fixture) and T12's ($12/fixture). Home Depot only has one type of T5 bulb, I'm guessing it's considered cool in color, but the plants have responded to it more favorably than the T12's. One word of caution, the T12 fixtures come pre-wired with a plug in cord. The T5 fixtures require you to do a bit of wiring to add a cord to them. So if you're not comfortable with electrical, go with the T12's.

{{gwi:373975}}
    I have two fixtures per shelf.

PLEASE MAKE SURE TO USE A GFCI OUTLET SINCE THE FIXTURES WILL BE NEAR WATER.

Phoenix Ryan

• anna_in_quebec
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Del and Ryan. Ryan - I see there are a couple of blooms there - do they always "live" in that setup? Or do they get moved over to a window for better enjoyment? Obviously, if something starts to bloom for me, I'll want to bring it upstairs...

2 fixtures per shelf. so that's 4 bulbs total over each shelf?

GFCI Outlet??? My setup will be very modest for now: in a dark unfinished basement, a few flats on a table under a couple of shoplights - that's all. I'm sure I will expand but for now I won't have anything tiered, so maybe I don't need one of those outlets? And, coming to my mailbox soon, special power bars with timers, a couple of heat mats, temp/humidity gauge :)

• phoenixryan
    14 years ago

Each fixture has two bulbs, so yes, its four bulbs per shelf in my set-up.

All my hippi bulbs go outside come fall, where they can bask in the sunshine. As good as the lights are, they're no comparison to real sunshine. But for new bulbs, that are not yet established, I grow them indoors and enjoy the blooms, then once my blistering summer heat is past, out they go. I do keep the AV's, orchids, and other assorted plants on the shelf year round.

A GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupt) outlet will pop a fuse if there's any sign of water or trouble with the lights. It's designed to prevent electrocution. You most often see them in bathrooms, where you might be using electrical appliances around water.

In a two shelf system like mine, there is always a possibility that water could drip from the upper shelf onto the lower lights, and with a metal rack, it could spell disaster. Better safe than sorry.

• anna_in_quebec
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Is this bulb a good one for growing?

Here is a link that might be useful: 85w CFL bulb on eBay

• rebecca47
    14 years ago

$34.00 USD is a bit extravagant an not very useful for growing plants. IMHO.

• monet_g
    14 years ago

I am very happy with 4 shop-light bulbs above my plants - 2 dual bulb units holding cheap flourescents. My plants aren't just holding over for winter, they're growing.
    You can get a GFI that plugs into the wall outlet. Then you just plug the power strip into it. No need for an electrician!
    Gail

• purpleclover
    14 years ago

Phoenix Ryan, I love your set up! I even have sets of those shelves, but the chances of being allowed to use one for plants, no way its going to happen, LOL.

What do you have on those shelves? Cannas? Gingers? And you have plants in hydroton. Are you growing your hippes hydroponically?

Anna, my recommendation is start simple. If you have fluorescent tube fixtures from your basement or garage, use them. (I just pulled a working one out of a garbage can a week or so ago. Along with a couple of nice planters.)

You want to use the cool bulbs and have them close to the seedling tray. If you go into a hydroponics store, you can get a pair of yo-yo looking things and adjust the lights: pull them down over the plants, then adjust them up so you can see the bulb babies.

The spiral CFLs are available cheaper down here. You can put them in a round aluminum reflector from home depot. The reflector and bulb are on a clamp -- a cheap work light that you can move around. But if you're going to set up a permanent area, then just set up tube fluorescent shop lights. You can leave the lights running 16 or even 24 hours a day for seedlings.
    G

• npublici
    14 years ago

Anna, The addition of a GFCI power cord or adapter is a wise decision,however if your dwelling only has two power
    leads (Holes)at the wall plate (outlet)then buying one would be worthless,because they require the third(safty)lead to be functional. That third lead is commonly connected to eartn ground, inside your breaker box.A six foot deep, driven steel rod near the outlet, would provide the needed earth ground, but it would not pass code in most places.It would be safe,but is not standard practice.
    Del

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County
More Discussions