Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshy46013

Hippeastrum 'Ieniemienie'

joshy46013
13 years ago

Hi Guys,

Here is 'Ieniemienie', I have it blooming in pure perlite as it had some rot, the flowers are trumpet form and a lovely pink color :) By the way, this is the "Salmon Trumpet" from Royal Colors. 'Ieniemienie' is the registered name.

{{gwi:374173}}

{{gwi:374174}}

Comments (19)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Soft and lovely, is it fragrant...?

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I detected no fragrance and I have a very sensitive sniffer ;) I was hoping it would but, no :( The flower is about 6 inches long and 6 inches across tho, it's quite a pretty trumpet!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Wow, that's a good size for a trumpet! So Josh, is that what you do if you have a rot issue on the bulb, or the basal plate, pot it in pure perlite..are there any roots, and do you just keep the bulb in the perlite while it's flowering and then into soil? I suppose if it's just in perlite which doesn't absorb water, you can bury the whole bulb so it won't tip over while it is blooming? Not that there would be that much support in perlite, just curious :-)

Donna

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Donna,

This bulb was rotted throught he basal plate into a bit of the meat, I cut it all out and let it dry, dusted it with sulfur and let it dry some more ;)

Royal Colors suggested that I pot it up in perlite *which makes sense considering it's inorganic and wont promote more rotting*, once it has a decent root system and I'm not worried about further rot I'll move it on to a more retentive mix :)

It is pretty large, I absolute love it :)

• cindeea
    13 years ago

Josh, what a lovely trumpet! I thought you were joking about the name play on eeny meeny miney mo! Lol

Josh I use solely perlite in inverted bottle tops for bulbs/bulblets with no roots. I stick the neck in a container with some water in the bottom and the roots develop and grow down to the water.
    {{gwi:374175}}From 2010-2011 Amaryllis

Works beautifully without drowning the bulb/bulblet. I have used just perlite on rotted bulbs too until they dry out and rehab.

I hope your salmon beauty recovers. It is a most unusual color.

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cindy,

The perlite has worked wonders so far for my bulb :) Royal Colors is sending me a replacement, I feel bad now since it seems that I could've saved the bulb :(

The name is 'Ieniemienie' registerd by berbee :) I LOVE IT :) lol, I think it's cute! lol

• blancawing
    13 years ago

She is lovely, and the name is quite clever! It is exciting to see the blooms close-up.

I have both trumpets, but have delayed planting to extend the blooming season.

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Blanca, don't you love her? I have a strange obsession with trumpets, they're my absolutely favorite! The "Lemon Trumpet" is slowly putting up two scapes, I'm very excited about it!

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Blanca, don't you love her? I have a strange obsession with trumpets, they're my absolutely favorite! The "Lemon Trumpet" is slowly putting up two scapes, I'm very excited about it!

I really want to breed trumpets for fragrance, my H. brasilianum has a length of 8 inches or so and an absolutely wonderful fragrance, I can't wait till it blooms so I can play bumblebee :)

• haxuan
    13 years ago

We also have some rot issues with some of RC bulbs, although we were very careful with watering/humidity.

I asked RC how to solve the issue but now I've found the answer here. Will convert to "pure perlite" before the matter getting worse.

Thanks, Josh. Yours is really a beauty. I love the intense pink. (Forgive me, it's a "lip-dancing" for me to pronounce - or type - her name :-)

Xuan

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Josh, that's a beauty for sure. Great info on the perlite. I love the idea of putting it in a bottle top, too, Cindee. I'll have to give that a try when I get another mushy bulb - as we all inevitably do.

I love the trumpets too. I know I mentioned my bulb I bought as Melusine which Blanca helped me id as Rebecca, Josh. You'd love it... {{gwi:374176}}From 09 / 10 hippi season

Alana

• mariava7
    13 years ago

Josh...'Ieniemienie" is not the "official" registered name and there are no breeders-rights. Paul just informed me this.

• ryan820
    13 years ago

Great flowers and photos, Josh-- thanks for sharing.

DR

• Noni Morrison
    13 years ago

I am hyped about the idea of transferring my poor rotting greenhouse babies to perlite too. I think once they get dried off and quit rotting the new layers, I can repot them in a better draining soil, but in the meantime I think straight perlite will be best for them. I have peeled away layer after layer at least 3 times and some of them are running low on healthy tissue...gotta get it stopped!

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Maria,

It's on PlantScope registered by Berbee Amaryliscultures Royal Colors is using the exact same picture that is posted on PlantScope, Bill from Emaryllis and I have both noticed this. It was registered 05-01-10,

"VBN Product code 107029 Cutflower Hippeastrum Trompet Grp 'Ieniemienie'"

It was also registered with KAVB on 01/08/2010 by Pascal Berbee as 'Ieniemienie'

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Alana, Rebecca is beautiful! In a way I was kinda hoping I was get a mislabled Rebecca! Does it have a scent?

Xuan, Let me know if that works for your bulbs! :) I think it's a great idea! I have yet to inspect mine and I had to slice off about 1/2 the basal plate but it seems to be doing okay!

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Josh, it doesn't have a scent that I recall - but honestly Donna eBay bulb was overpowering every thing else last spring ;-) so I'll have to check again this spring. It does have a pup though. We could talk.

Alana

• haxuan
    13 years ago

I've found thinning the basal plate to be quite all right but it really worries me that we had to peel layer after layer on some of the bulbs. :-(

Will surely let you know, Josh.

Xuan

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ALANA :), you got mail!

Xuan

On this bulb I had to peel several layers and I had to cut half of the basal plate, not thinning it but literally cutting half of it out as it was rotten.

{{gwi:374177}}

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022
More Discussions