Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Hehehe... Gervase...$35... hehehe... yeah, right

LOL of the Day - see link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Gervase

Comments (13)

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

I see it's shipped in a tin pot but wowza, that's expensive! That better be a hell of a nice pot!

• haweha
    12 years ago

This is a truly "Royal" price OMG xDxD...
    My bulb of "Gervase" outof my Consignment from the very "Royal Colors", has been a positive Surprise: It is the biggest bulb of them all, with 36 cm in circumference. And, "Flamenco Queen" is of very decent size too; 31 cm. I would have it expected, HAD "Grand Diva" and "Summertime" been the largest. Which was obviously not the case, THESE are surprisingly small.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

Well, while we all might be dwelling on the Hippeastrum, go to site's homepage and read their story. They have numerous orchids and citrus...interesting. I won't be buying any Hippeastrum, but I have my wish list for bonsai, citrus, etc.
    :-)
    Kristi

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Logees is a very nice mail order site, I've heard only good things from them and I wouldn't hesitate to order other things from them! I would order that Hippeastrum tho ;)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kristi - an excellent place for citrus and not too far from you linked below. Website has a wealth of information. He is a regular poster on the Citrus Forum.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Mr. Texas Place Citrus

12 years ago

I alredy have several magnificent Gervase...so no need to get any of their Hippeastrum offerings!

Carol, I'll look at the TX citrus guy. I can't believe you are in JAX. I was just there a couple of months ago for a conference (Hyatt riverfront). We could have had a lunch/dinner!! I gave an amaryllis lecture with give-aways (Lemon Sorbet and Fanfare bulbs)!
    K

Original Author
    12 years ago

NO WAY! KRISTIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!! Well, that's just makes me want so disappointed that we missed that fine opportunity. I would have loved to meet you, brought you out to my home, let you take a tour of the yard and tell me how to do better, have a cup of coffee - oh my gosh - it would have been awesome! Would you PLEASE give me a heads up next time you are headed this way?

Carol

Original Author
    12 years ago

Kristi - since I already led this discussion off-topic anyway: I don't know how serious you are about citrus, but your growing conditions seem very, very similar to mine. We are both at approximately the same latitude. Thought you might be interested in seeing my posts and photos about satsumas in the Florida Gardening forum, linked below. (I didn't start the thread but I chimed in.)

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Satsumas

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Oh Carol!! I am sooo envious!! The first two pictures you posted..is that tree actually growing in that pot or is it an illusion?!?! Truthfully, my mouth was watering when I saw those pictures of those oranges so carefully pealed..just made me want to reach in and just grab one!!!

Donna

Original Author
    12 years ago

My parents and I laughed and laughed at that photo - it sure enough looks like it is growing in a pot - and wouldn't that be something?! The trick was unintentional and yeah, the satsuma is planted in the ground.

Seriously, the peeling is not done carefully. Satsumas have what is called a "zipper skin" because it easily rips right open and the fruit falls out. They are really good and if you know anyone passing up/down I-95, I'll send you some! But they are so darn expensive to ship - last box I sent cost $15 in postage - and that was a flat-rate box. :( If you lived closer, you could come pick all you want. My folks opened their tree to the neighbors and church friends just yesterday after all of the family had left. If you can believe it, there are still lots on the tree.

Carol

12 years ago

Road trip to Carol's for fresh citrus anyone?!?!
    K

PS...if we send you $$$ do you ship!?

Original Author
    12 years ago

Boy, I would love to, but I start the Kaplan Review course for the nursing state board exam this week. Today was kind-of my last hurrah before I plunge myself back into studying. Let's talk again next year and if life is "normal", I will be happy to send some!

Carol

12 years ago

Hope you picked then all before last night...saw that temps were in the 20s!

Good luck with the boards!!
    We'll take you up on the offer next year!!
    K

Sponsored
More Discussions