Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

What to put on papilio

Hi All,

I have a papilio scape that should yield the usual two flowers in a week or two and I am in a quandary as to what to put on these two flowers as I don't want to waste them! It appears that this is all I will have for papilio flowers this season.
Of course I will put pap pollen on everything and anything that comes along just in case, but I have a limited supply of fresh pollens to use on papilio.

This is what I have: Lima, Chico, PapEsStasy, Tango, Rio Negro & Exotic Star (which I've already done and won't do again) plus, Sweet Lilian. I've got a Magic Green that will be out in time, along with Half & Half, Showmaster and Amigo.

I would love to put Ruby Star on papilio but that is nowhere near bloom time.

I was thinking Tango (being pink might make pretty flowers) but not so sure about Rio Negro..all thoughts would be appreciated!

Donna

Now that I think about it I forgot that I had decided to put Chico on one flower so, that just leaves one choice..I want to make some flowers like Hans-Werner has. I already have a few of this cross but I'm down to 4 bulbs that survived. Four is not nearly enough...

This post was edited by dondeldux on Fri, Jan 4, 13 at 15:16

Comments (12)

• bluebonsai101
    11 years ago

I'd offer some pollen from a Worsleya, but honestly, that has almost zero chance of actually yielding a cross so sort of a waste of your flower to be honest :o) Dan

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If I had a half dozen flowers to play with I'd jump at the chance to try at least one flower but, as you say no sense wasting one of only two flowers and your precious pollen. Thanks for the thought though...
    We can dream of someday walking through those French Doors to our conservatories with a blue papilio sitting there waiting for us.... :-) Donna

• lenanen
    11 years ago

Oh what prospects! It will be thrilling to follow this conversation.

Donna, of my two papilio flowers I pollinated one with Tango (27th of December), looking good so far... But anything can happen anytime, as we all know.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Leena,

Tango with papilio should produce some unique flowers, I would imagine they might be like papilio and Chico but hopefully on the pink side..so, It will be very interesting to see how your pod develops. I might have better than two weeks (probably 3) before my papilio is ready, so in the meantime we can see how yours progresses.. how exciting!! If yours is still viable at the time mine is ready then prehaps that would be a good choice. Thanks!! Donna

• lenanen
    11 years ago

I'll keep you informed, definitely! Needless to say how much I'm hoping the pod would make it...

• pupu999
    11 years ago

Dear Donna,
    I suggested Tango or Chico be used as pollen parent if you have no other choice:)

But for me, I prefer use Bogota', 'Machala', 'Quito' or 'Night Star'

Pupu

• haweha
    11 years ago

LOL! The Title totally misleading, I am giggling!
    I read it as: "What should I cover my outdooored H.papilio Crop with, in order to have them survive throughout the winter in my garden?"

I would pollinate from "Chico" -
    you will obtain tons of seeds, up to 140 per seed pod!

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

Definitely cross with a cybister! Oooooh!

Any suggestion from haweha, is worth taking! He has far more experience creating crosses than most of us do.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone!! I am going to do one flower with Chico. The other I may use Tango and someone has offered to send me some frozen Ruby Star pollen from last season and since I read somewhere that Ruby Star has papilio in it's parantage I may mix the two pollens (Ruby Star and Tango) to use on the second flower!! Thanks, again...Donna

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

Ruby Star is a gorgeous flower! It's one of the few hippies that I have more than one bulb of. So pretty!

• mikep_cfl
    11 years ago

I should have plenty of fresh La Paz pollen in the next few days. Let me know if you are interested.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Mike, but I think I have decided to use Tango which is pink, actually acquired by mistake by purchasing a La Paz! I really like the Tango as it was most definitly pink, and not pale at all. So the chosen ones this time around will be Chico and Tango. If I should be so lucky as to get another papilio scape then perhaps I would take you up on your generous offer! Thanks again, Donna

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions