Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

Making a notebook for pictures of amaryllis blooms

honeybunny2 Fox
12 years ago

My amaryllis plants will not bloom until this April. I am going to be ready so I can mark them correctly. I have made a notebook with pictures, height, size of blooms etc. of all the amaryllis plants I could find. I am hoping to label them correctly. Last year they bloomed, but since I do not live there, most had bloomed before I got to see them. I had some at home, but the mother load was at the coast. This year I will be ready. I will post pictures once they start to bloom. I want to put all the same named bulbs together, so I can keep track of them. I did find out the name of the bulb I just bought from Lowes clearance, it was suppost to be a Christmas Story, it is Nymph, it beautiful. I will post pictures once they start to bloom in the spring. Right now they have alot of green leaves, except for the one I gave sheep manure tea to, I kinda burnt its leaves. The manure tea did wonders for my dayliles, so I put some on one of the amaryllis plants, and it burned the leaves. Barbra

Comments (7)

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Barbara,

Manure in any form is not recommended for Hippeastrum or bulbs generally, it carries bacteria that promotes rot and disease in the bulbs. I would check out the bulb and see what it's looking like.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

Josh, interestingly, Maguire's "Growing Instructions" state, "When you receive your bulbs, unpack immediately. Prepare your soil by digging and adding some organic material such as horse or cow manure if you can get it, if not blood and bone would be quite alright." Is that contrary to most authoritative sources?

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Maguire's Growing Instructions

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Carol,

Hadeco, a really large bulb supplier advises against it, I will supply a link below.

Many people do things very differently but this is the view I look at it from, manure feeds the bad bacterias that causes bulbs to rot, why subject your bulb to that? Another big issue is you have no idea what amount of nutrients you're feeding your bulbs? Manure, unless investigated is uns This probably has a lot to do with the burning of the leaves of Barbaras Hippeastrum, manure cannot be controlled the way forumlated varieties can.

I learned this from a biochemist friend of mine as well as Len Doran that cultivated most of the Hippeastrum species and Fred Meyers who both produced many of the beautiful hybrids we have now! I'm really thankful that these notes were passed down to me. I've learned a lot from these Amaryllid experts.

While I think manure has its purpose it's unpredictable (hence the leaf burning barbara experienced) and feeds bad bacterias that can cause many diseases in bulb species including rot which can cause bulb death.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hadeco

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

I want you guys to know, if it works for you and you're happy with the results then by all means, keep using it!

I'm not trying to tell anyone they're wrong at all, I just am sharing the information I was given by the experts that have grown these plants and happily shared their information they documented while growing their plants. Most of these growers grew in California and some in Florida and I really value their advice.

I don't put a lot of stock into what Maguires Hippeastrum Farm says, I don't find them totally trustworthy for my own reasons, I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Joshy, thanks for your input. I really thought it would be good for any plant, but I think it may have been too rich for the amaryllis. It does wonders for the dayliles. I wonder if it will work on my plumeria in the spring. I only used the water that the manure had been sitting in, so I thought it would be ok. I will check the bulbs when I go down this weekend. I don't think they will rot, since its been in the 60's down there the last couple of weeks. I will have to remove the bottom leaves, since they look so bad. I do not plan to use the manure tea anymore on my amaryllis. It really did burn the leaves, I will have to remove the bottom leaves for sure. I can't wait to see them bloom this sping. Barbra

• dragonstone
    12 years ago

Sounds like a good idea, honeybunny2. I always refer to my amaryllis as "Red" because I was never told their names but from what I've seen through looking other pictures on here, I believe I have one Red Lion and a batch of Amigo with the red/white throats. Might as well get them ID'd when spring comes around and they're back in full force.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well I dug them up on Sunday, the bulbs are fine. They have doubled in size from last year. I will remove all the leaves and replant them on Friday when I go back down. Barbra

Sponsored
More Discussions