Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anna_in_quebec

Advice re. lights needed

anna_in_quebec
14 years ago

Hi folks - Lee Valley had just put up for sale: Verilux® Full-Spectrum Compact Fluorescent Bulbs. Might these be at all useful for lighting up a hipp or two? Do lights need to be very low over the foliage or can the lamp be adjusted higher? Would one lamp be good for 2 or only one (if it's adjusted high)? Should it be full sun or part sun? I like the idea of not having to build anything (no time, no help, no car, no $ :)

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valley CFL Bulbs

Comments (27)

• bluebonsai101
    14 years ago

You can buy bulbs cheaply at www.1000bulbs.com This is where I got my 105W CFL bulbs.....this is true 105W fluorescents which translates to 400W incandescent.....they are still plug-and-play, but throw serious light......I still hang them within a couple of inches from my plants......one light for several plants.....just something else to think about, but more money of course, but much more wattage :o) Dan

• ryan820
    14 years ago

Like Dan I do something similar. I use a metro cart (wire rack) that is a restaurant industry standard and it is capable of holding a ton of weight-- but instead of CFLs I bought 4 foot long shop lights. Half are T12s the other half are T8s (T8s being more energy efficient and capable of better light output. Anyway, in total I maybe spent 250 dollars for the entire set up, bulbs and all. It seems to work ok for me during these long winters. The phal orchids LOVE the set up.

Ryan, Rocky Mountains

p.s. I got all the materials I needed from Lowes.

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

My setup is similar to Ryan's, except my lights are hung on chains from the ceiling. I have everything on a cheap light timer, and they come on and go off at the same time every day. The fixtures are T12's, but in each are one T8 and one T12 tube.

I do believe I spent less than Ryan on my shelving units, though... I got the little greenhouse units, which are 4 shelves and a plastic cover that zips over it. They were on sale for $7 each.

I keep in-growth plants on the top shelf and resting bulbs on the next shelf, and the bottom shelves hold my supplies and books and things. I'm sure everyone has seen my Jungle photos.

The lights and shelving units are from Lowe's or Home Depot, and the timer is a WalMart or Meijer's item, I think.

• anna_in_quebec
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So let me get this straight, and please don't laugh at my ignorance: you can use ordinary fluorescent bulbs, one cool, one warm (or does that matter?)- and they act as grow lights??? Do you have to install such things as ballasts and reflectors as well?

• salpal
    14 years ago

Yes Anna, you can use ordinary T12 or T8 bulbs. You need a "shop light" type of fixture to put them in- the fixture contains the ballasts and have a sort-of reflector. I think they are phasing out the T12 fixtures, but if you ask the folks at the store they will point you in the right direction. You can go cheap (me) or more expensive, but if you are spending alot you might as well buy the REALLY fancy lights described in other posts.

The light fixture is already put together, you just put the bulbs in and plug it in! Of course you want to hang them, I use wire shelving units and lots of little hooks, sometimes chain and sometimes various books, boxes or platforms to place the plants on to get the close to the bulbs. It is quite easy Anna! After time goes by your lights may not put out as much and you might need to replace bulbs but they last pretty long!
    Sally

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

The florescent tubes are probably not the ultimate in grow light setups, but the really good ones designed specifically for year round indoor growing are way beyond my budget! I'd look for those at a hydroponics store or a store that deals specifically with those growing items.

But for simply getting our bulbs through the winters, or for supplementing the sun coming in the windows, the shop light fixtures with florescent tubes are excellent! My plants perked up shortly after I installed the pair I use!

As Sally says, the fixtures are ready to plug in right out of the box. Just put in the tubes, plug it in, and voila!

You can spend from around $18 on sale, to about $40 for a high end fixture, any many prices in between for different fixtures... all depends on your budget. Most home improvement or hardware stores carry them. I think WalMart and other stores may even have one or two different types on the shelf.

• anna_in_quebec
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone!

• anna_in_quebec
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I forgot to ask one more thing: such lights are useful even in a pitch-black basement where no natural light comes in? Can one start seedlings under them?

• salpal
    14 years ago

Anna, I use them as a supplement to natural light for seedlings. (like Jodi, I set them on a timer for 14+ hrs a day for seedlings) I couldn't do without them for keeping seedlings from getting too leggy. So my shelves, which I take down much of the year and put up as I require more and eventually they take over, are set in front of the windows and extend beyond them. I know you winter sow- which is great for alot of stuff- but I like the lights for toms, peppers, coleus and flowers and the cuttings I begin to root. The hippy seedlings do well under them too. (see I'm on topic!)

I like those wire type shelves which were a little pricey when they first came out but which are now quite reasonable. I wait until they go on sale. What is nice about them is that the shelf height is adjustable, you can change the height according to your needs. This is better than fixed shelf heights.

I haven't tried them in complete darkness, but I think some do. My basement is almost complete darkness. I think that might be a good place to try growing things like pansies,(once germinated) since it is so cool right now. If you try this be sure to report back your opinions. This would certainly be a great time of year to invest in a few "shoplights" I think you'll be impressed!

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

While our basement isn't exactly pitch dark... there are a couple of tiny windows up high... those windows don't let in enough light to be considered useful... so, I would say, yes.

We successfully started and grew a ton of seedlings using only banks of shop light fixtures. We turned them on in early morning, and before we went to bed, we shut them down.

{{gwi:374917}}

{{gwi:374918}}

{{gwi:374919}}

Between the warmth of the basement, the lights, and one small oscillating fan to keep air circulating, we did it!

• anna_in_quebec
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Again, thanks. Yes, I do winter-sow and it is fabulous for a variety of perennials, and even some half-hardy annuals, but I'd love to get a head start of annuals such as cosmos, geraniums, etc. but I suspect I'll need heat mats as well. Hmmm.... Of course, this will be for the hipps as well...

• monet_g
    14 years ago

This my newly constructed set up. I used the wire rack system. I picked mine up at âÂÂSamâÂÂs Clubâ for about $90. This one is on wheels and 6 adjustable racks. I only used 4 of the racks. With the 2 left over, I can create a new station with additional posts that I saw offered on eBay.

The pots are on âÂÂboot trapsâ (eBay) to catch any spillage. Under each âÂÂboot trapâ is a seedling heat mat (eBay). Above each shelf are two shop lights on chains.
    I needed a timer, but felt challenged by all the cords. This particular set up has 12 cords. 6 are for lights and 6 are for the heat mats. Through searching I found this 8-outlet timer. 4 of the outlets are timed. These control the lights. The other 4 are on at all times and control the heat mats. There are two outlet timers on this unit. I found it at Home Depot.

I also cover the unit with a white sheet and foam core to reflect light back to the plants and to hold some of the heat in. In the end, IâÂÂm very pleased with this set up and so are the plants.
    Gail

• monet_g
    14 years ago

Oops, photo link didn't work. Let me work on this.
    Gail

• monet_g
    14 years ago

Sorry about that.
    This is the set up.
    {{gwi:374920}}

This the timer.
    {{gwi:374921}}
    Gail

• anna_in_quebec
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow - I'm getting very inspired! You are all so kind to help me figure this out. Why did I not know about fluorescents as grow lights? I feel so dumb! Might someone check the attached and see if that is suitable?

Here is a link that might be useful: Lighting at Home Depot

• monet_g
    14 years ago

Anna,
    Those are 24" lights. Is that what you're looking for? I think most of us use 48" as you can put 2 flats lengthwise under them. I picked up a couple in the last several months at HD. I think the unit (without lights) ran about $10. and one light runs about about the same or less. The older units had more of a reflector at the top, however, you can control this by putting something white over the unit. I'm surprised how cool these run. If you want to buy one with more of a reflector, I think you can get one, you'll just half to pay more.

FWIW, I can't say enough about the seedling heat mats. I fought spending the money for years, but I'm finding they make an incredible difference. Locally, if you can find them, they cost over $30 plus sales tax. I found mine on eBay for $24. including shipping and no sales tax. Tip: If you don't see the low price on the first search, wait a few days. Sometimes they are sold out until the seller can get a new shipment.
    Gail

• anna_in_quebec
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ah - I see. So most of you also use single units, rather than double? (Am I annoying yet? :)

• monet_g
    14 years ago

Anna,
    No and... no, lol. These are twin lights and you're not annoying. I/we love helping out (we've all been there!). I use to have to scourge through books to get information only to find there were still other possibilities, options, corrections and updates. What's wonderful about forums is that if someone offers advice that is, well, a bit off, someone gracefully will come in to offer another perspective. We are all learning!

Usually, what we use are 48" double lights. If you look at my unit behind the timer photo, you can see that the two light units have different housings. The one toward the back is an older unit that has more of a reflector. The one closer, is a newer unit.

You can also get a quad unit. Again, for more $$$.
    Gail

• salpal
    14 years ago

No Anna- you are not annoying. All of us who garden in the north become like missionaries when we find a good thing- we really wish to "share".

But not single units- double like you showed from home depot only 48" (convert to cm in Canada) instead of 24". 24" is too short. Also make sure your shelves are 48" wide. Also, there is a variety of depths available and I would recommend 18" for that. These shelves are cheap. I can buy them on sale for 50-60 bucks for a 78" high model. You can leave out shelves if you don't want them all. Anna this WILL revolutionize your gardening experience! Now will you help me with some probs I have with winter sowing? I need help in this area... if you are willing I will email you.

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

You're not dumb at all, Anna! I was just as clueless when I first began looking at supplemental lighting... there's a lot to know!

Mine are all 48" in length, double tube fixtures. We got them on sale, but I know we didn't pay more than $24 per unit.

The amount of lights you see in my pictures above is really not enough... but it's adequate. There should be two more fixtures per table, ideally. Some of our seedlings did stretch toward the lights, but that's all we could hang from the ceiling above due to obstructions.

To start seeds, heat mats aren't really necessary, but in many cases, do help with faster germination. So, don't worry so much about heat mats... one or two small ones should be enough. Most of your regular perennial, annual, and veggie seeds should sprout just fine without bottom heat... as long as the ambient temperature in your basement is relatively warm.

As you seedlings grow, even beforehand, good air circulation will be a necessity. I suggest an oscillating fan to stir the air and move it around. You're less likely to experience fungal issues, and the moving air will help your seedlings develop sturdier stems.

Please, Anna... ask all the questions you need to! We all began somewhere... and most of us felt clueless at first... I know I did!

I hope this helps... :-)

• anna_in_quebec
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK - lest anyone think I am off-topic, I do indeed intend to start some hipp seeds - I am especially hopeful for Supreme Garden that managed to produce a lovely seed pod before rotting and dying :(

Now, and this could be one of my last questions on the subject - does the average shoplight setup use a lot of electricity. I don't want the RCMP coming to my house! ;)

Oh - and - my basement hovers around 65, never any higher in the winter/early spring. Is that too cold?

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

That's about the temperature of our basement, I believe. It feels cool, but it's not cold. I sometimes wear a sweater when I work down there.

And no... I just asked Larry the other day how much power these lights used, and he said they use very little. Don't forget, you won't be running them 24 hours a day.

Of course, if you're gonna hang a basement full of lights, expect some increase in your power bill... but not enough to break the bank! What we have probably raised the bill a maximum of $8 to $10 per month.

Sorry to hear about your Supreme Garden... it will be interesting to see what the seeds produce!

• ryan820
    14 years ago

My grow shelf has allowed me to keep growing plants... period. I have an apartment that faces only North and that doesn't give enough light to grow many things except the run-of-the-mill house foliage plant, which I don't care much for any longer. My grow shelf has helped me care for my phal orchids. Thankfully, the room I have it in gives the perfect temps, too. 60 at night 78 in the day... all but two orchids are in spike now.

I love my grow shelf!

Ryan

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

Can't wait to see those Phals in bloom, Ryan!

• anna_in_quebec
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK - I am psyched, and getting closer! Now, which fixture would be best - nboth at Home Depot? The "contoured one is $35, while the other is $45. Both are 32w - what is the wattage of preference?:
    {{gwi:374923}}
    {{gwi:374924}}

• monet_g
    14 years ago

Hi Anna,

I like the second one because it has more of a built in reflector.

I thought of our discussion when I was at Home Depot the other day and looked at their lighting selection. They have a unit with no side (winged) reflector for about $10.00 and the lights ran less than $5.00. They don't seem to be showing the less expensive lights on their website.

I don't think wattage is a concern for this use, but I could be wrong. Hopefully someone else will comment.

Gail

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

On one of the older threads, I wrote down all the specs from the box my light fixtures came in... I can't recall everything I wrote... I know they're 48" fixtures, T12's, cold starting, quiet running, and good for damp areas.

I'm not sure of wattage... but ours, in the basement, look very similar to the bottom one you've got pictured.

It doesn't seem like the website lists all the models in the actual store, though... I know we got ours for a lot less than $45... more like $20, or thereabouts.

Sponsored
More Discussions