Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agent1xe13

To Canadian hippeastrum addicts, other can read too!

agent1xe13
15 years ago

Most of the readers on this forum know that the bulbs we buy come mostly from Holland, and we are starting to slowly get some from South Africa as well. There are 2 countries that produce some outstanding hippeastrum, but unfortunately, their bulbs are simply unavailable in Europe and North America. These 2 countries are Japan and Australia.

Importing bulbs from Australia costs an arm and a leg and half, which explains in part why they can't be found anywhere. But if we get a group of addicts like me together, may be we could order from Australia, meet the minimum 100 bulbs for an order and spread the very high costs over that many bulbs to make the import more affordable. So far, the research I've done tell me that the price of a single bulb would be around $20 each for an order of 100 bulbs. There are still some costs that I'm missing and I'm waiting for some confirmation as to what they could be, so the price per bulb could be higher than what is mentioned above. But I'll know later about that. And remember, these bulbs are unique, collector's item and can't be found anywhere else.

So far, there is only one place in Australia where these bulbs can be ordered from: Maguire. I for one would order some 25-30 bulbs from them. Have a look at what they have, it's nice and somewhat different to what we are used to. The bulbs would likely be shipped in June.

I'm already in touch with the Maguires, I still miss some important information, but if there are a few more persons as sick as I am that would be willing to commit to participate in that "foolish" experience with me, I would appreciate knowing about it. You have to be very serious to participate and commit yourself. Once you will be in, if this thing works out, there will be no turning around since we would all depend upon one another for this deal to work out.

If you are interested and are very serious, send me an email stating where in Canada you are located, how many bulbs would you like approximately (no need to give name or very precise quantity, this is not yet an order, only an exploratory proposal), and expect that $20/bulb will be a minimum, most likely more but that is yet to be confirmed. Don't expect an immediate response to your email, you'll all be notified at the same time once I have enough valid information to give you. For the time being, I don't really have all the answers to all the questions, this post is only to find out if we can work it out or not, if its worth continue on or stop now.

The reason I didnt mention the USA is that it would involve more costs and paperwork to send these bulbs from here in Canada to the USA after they arrive from Australia. But if anyone in the USA is willing to do something like I inted to do, it will be a pleasure for me to pass on the information I have to that person.

Lastly, I hope I'm not breaking any rules of this forum in doing this, if I do, please forgive me and remove this post altogether. The rules says "no advertizing", I hope this is not considered as such, it is just meant to help other addicts to get their hands on something out of the common. After all, an addiction has to be fed properly, right? (:

Laurier

My web site

Comments (6)

• anna_in_quebec
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I for one am gasping and salivating at "Naughty Norma" and "Kaitlin" and "Natalie" and... Laurier - you are evil!!! (but expect an email from me :)

• agent1xe13
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Anna! I forgot to mention or maybe I was not specific enough, the $20/bulb is for the $10.50 bulb. Better said, add $10 to the price of the bulb you want. That is more accurate. A $17 bulb would cost $27 for example. But that will certainly be higher due to the fact that I'm still missing some costs. Sorry for not having been clear enough.

Laurier

• bluebonsai101
    15 years ago

Hi Laurier, I actually got a few bulbs from OZ before.....not that big of a deal......yes, shipping is expensive, but beyond that you only have to pay the phyto fee and your wire transfer fees. There were no other unknown costs when I did it 2x from OZ and the other 30 or more times from various countries around the world. I checked their site previously, but they did not have anything I wanted.....was hoping for rare Crinum, Amorphophallus and Typhonium from OZ, but they did not have any....total bummer :o) Dan

• agent1xe13
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Dan, The figures I have so far are this from their email:

"Costs involved in exporting to Canada (or anywhere else) are high. Quarantine costs here would cost about $160.00 plus courier costs to AQIS for inspection about $120.00 and also export certificate about $100.00. These are approx figures but wouldn't be far out."

That's more than $400 (canadian) and it doesn't include shipping yet, a figure that I should get sometime soon with more precision, so far I only have a very rough idea that tells me that the additional costs per bulb would be around $10 more than listed on their site (including all fees).

I haven't had a look at their other stuff since I'm after hippeastrum only and found they had some cultivar not seen anywhere or different enough from the ones we know well, enough to be of interest, to me anyway, and may be to several other persons. I fully understand though that they may not be of interrest to many peoples, for all kind of reasons: not different enough, costs, etc.

I suppose that if anyone wants anything very rare, he/she must find that one special dealer that has these items, establish a particular relationship in order to gain access to that treasure. At least, that's what I used to do when I was importing orchids for myself or for group orders similar to what I'm trying to do with this order.

Say Dan, have you ordered from Maguire before or was it only from somewhere else in this country? If you have ordered from them, would you mind sharing what was your experience with them? They seem very reliable and Veronica Read only has good words for them in her book.

Thank you for sharing that information Dan, and if anyone else has more to add, they are more than welcomed to do it.

Laurier

• bluebonsai101
    15 years ago

Hi Laurier, Wow, that is rediculous!!! I have not ordered from them, but individuals have obtained proper permits to ship plants to me from OZ. There were no quarantine requirements to obtain the phyto and they went to the local AQIS site so did not have to courier the bulbs (Dracontium, Hippeastrum, Typhonium, Amorphophallus) and saved that cost as well. I can believe that the phyto is $100 because the guys in OZ charge more than any other country in the world (or atleast more than China, Thailand, Latvia, England, India, South Africa), but as I said, the small suppliers (3 different ones) I purchased from did not have the other costs so I have no idea why this place does.....maybe they are too big and can not manage like the individuals I have dealt with!! Good luck with your order though :o) Dan

• agent1xe13
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello again Dan,

Would it be too much to ask where you ordered from, their web site for instance? If you don't want to post them here, you can always send me an email. How long ago did you order from this country? Could these fees be somewhat new because of new regulations? I know that as a rule, it seems that companies involved in selling bulbs are very reluctant to order from Australia because of the very high costs and the very high price they would have to ask for their bulbs.

I like the fact that Maguire has many different cultivar to choose from. Do the smaller merchants you have dealt with have a good choice or is it limited to only a few?

Up to now, I have for around 50 bulbs from 3 potential participants. Let's hope we can work it out!

Laurier

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions