Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fishing_dentist

ID please

fishing_dentist
12 years ago

First of all a happy new year to all of You connected with all my best whishes for You and Your families!!

{{gwi:375110}}

3 Years ago i got this Hippeastrum as an variety of vittatum. A good friend did pick it up at the island Reunion as a present to me. It does�nt looks like a vittatum.

For an estrela the colours are too strong for me.

Anybody an idea?

Thanks a lot and best regards

Comments (24)

• berkeleysgr8
    12 years ago

It looks similar to "Opal Star/Seductress/Cherry Crush" (three names of the same cultivar), but yours has more red. It isn't dark enough for a "Ruby Star". It is very pretty and has a nice shape! I'm new to this hobby, I'm sure some of the more experienced growers will offer better ideas!

Tina

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Hi Frank..Happy New Year to You and Your Family!!

It does look a bit like Estrella, your picture isn't that clear, not many pixels so it's a bit hard to determine. Estrella has a couple of traits that you might recognize. It most always has 4 to 6 flowers per scape and it is fragrant. Also, it seems to bloom twice a year on most years..and the color can be an intense as yours, so I wouldn't entirely rule Estrella out. Do you remember the number of flowers per umbel this put out? I've had my bulb for 3 or 4 years now and although I suspect it is virused, it grows as if nothing is wrong..very strong and vigirous bulb. I almost forgot, it is a semi trumpet too!!

Donna

Compare these to yours...{{gwi:375111}}{{gwi:375113}}

{{gwi:375114}}

Hope I could help..

Donna

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

I agree with 'Estrella'

It is for sure not any of the Israeli hybrids.

• fishing_dentist
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks at You all!
    When i see Your pics Donna, it looks different to me! All the pics i did foud in the web , where much more pale than Yours. Very nice! Dont matter of the virus!
    My one has 4 flowers and brings up a new spike now.
    best regards

• oleg9grower
    12 years ago

Frank,
    If, as Donna wrote, the strong aroma of flowers - it's Estrella.

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Frank,

Where did you get it? This might also help?

• fishing_dentist
    Original Author
    12 years ago

How written from Reunion! :-)and it is not fragrant. (Or my nose is to bad for that scent fragrance)

12 years ago

Frank, When your flowers have opened take some new pictures..front, and side views and we'll all take another look at them...

Donna

• oleg9grower
    12 years ago

So it's not likely to Estrella, the fragrance does not feel impossible.

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Frank,

Can it be a one of the Komoriya hybrids?

• fishing_dentist
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No for sure it is�nt!
    I would love to! :-)
    Here are 2 more pics for You. 2 stems with 4 flowers each.

{{gwi:375115}}

{{gwi:375116}}

Thanks for helping me and best regards

Sorry i dont know why this is pixeling so much!

• hippeastrumadmirer
    12 years ago

Why do your photos look so pixelated, is it because of copyright issue?

12 years ago

Frank, I still can' tell, your flower seems to have more red in the throat, but that might be an illusion..your flower seems to be curled back more too..I just don't know..and you say yours isn't fragrant..can you smell the fragrance on Apple Blossom..maybe it's your sniffer and maybe it's not...Here is a close-up of the throat, look at yours again and maybe you can tell
    {{gwi:375117}}

Donna

12 years ago

I just noticed that the last inch of the filiments on mine are orange..yours appear to be clear...?

• oleg9grower
    12 years ago

In Russia, a traditional potted in the windows like a common Estrella hippeastrum without flavor. It is unknown hybrids that have been preserved from the 19th - early 20th century, or arising in traditional breeding varieties.

{{gwi:375118}}

• fishing_dentist
    Original Author
    12 years ago

{{gwi:375119}}

{{gwi:375120}}

Sorry the pics have been so bad!

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Frank,

A big question, Where did they come from?

• fishing_dentist
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Joshy i did get it from the island Reunion and a friend did bring it as a gift for me. He did say to me, it is a kind of vittatum.

• SummerPerson
    12 years ago

Is this a Gervase? It is 14 inches tall. The bloom is 4 1/2 inches wide. This is a soft pink color.

If it's not a Gervase, what is it?

Thanks.

{{gwi:375121}}

• johnsonm08
    12 years ago

I have the same one marked Gervase!
    Mike

12 years ago

I would say it's Susan..my Susan has a little tiny bit of pink in the eye, but had that same slight curl to the petals on the first blooming..got much better the second and third time around...but there are other soft pinks as well, maybe someone else has a different idea. Most certainly not an adequate substitute for Gervase....
    Donna

• mariava7
    12 years ago

Blushing Bride with it's fat/"ballooning" buds.

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Frank,

Sadly, that isn't H. vittatum, it seems like it's a hybrid of so.

Josh

• fishing_dentist
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes Josh i did realize that but i had no idea, what could it be. Thanks You all. I did write a label with Estrella on it. Especially when i know, that Estrella is an old hybrid and Rheunion in the indic ocean not is on the main- deliverylist of the dutch! :-)
    Best regards

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm