Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_17497

pretty flower

HU-17497
10 years ago

I finally found one of Komoriya's bulb s that I want. now I just need to convince myself to buy it, its called "Autumn Rose Lady". check it out, I would like to know what ya'll think.

Comments (37)

• macroclemys
    10 years ago

Wow, $60! Sounds like you want to be talked into it, so go for it. Money cannot buy happiness, but it can buy you the next best thing, the Autumn Rose Lady.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Well Devon, I had been waiting for that one ever since I first saw its picture!

So, when they finally listed them a few weeks ago for the first time I ordered 2 when the price was a mere $50 and they arrived shortly after. I received one good sized one and the other was smaller but both appear healthy. It's a lot of money plus the $20 shipping but I think it's one of the most beautiful flowers they sell. (just my personal opinion). Of course there are no guarantees that these two bulbs will fair any better than the others, but it's a gamble I was willing to take. I don't know if I were you that I would plant this outside though as you do but treat it as a pampered houseplant. Go for it!

One can only hope that since they raised the price from $50 to $60 that you will be getting a bigger bulb??

Donna

• HU-17497
    Original Author
    10 years ago

okay so let's say I purchased this Komoriya bulb, are we having better luck/success at putting them in the fridge and forcing hibernation when they first arrived or are we having better luck at planting them and pampering them. with all the issues and problems that everybody was having with this company and with flowers not acting the way they were supposed to I didn't think I would ever buy one of their bulbs

• HU-17497
    Original Author
    10 years ago

duplicate post, I hate it when that happens

This post was edited by Devonfawn on Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 13:23

• HU-17497
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ok they all sold so including me who else was conned into buying one of these for 80 bucks (including shipping). I guess I now have a house plant, heaven forbid I plant this outside and it dies on me. so here's the next big question, when and if it blooms do I self pollinate or do I try Crossing it was something else.

10 years ago

Cheer up Devon, I bought two a few weeks ago and the larger one is already sending up a scape and it looks healthy!! Someone else I know also bought a couple and hers are also sending up a scape!!!

And no, I would never put this one outside! As for selfing this bulb we could try but unless we've all got some roots I have my doubts that it would take. We can all talk about what to put on her when we all get flowers!!

Donna

• dragonstone
    10 years ago

Devonfawn - Why not both? :) If you got the flowers and the interest, go for it.

Good luck to you both with your new komoriya bulbs! :D

• Ray Schuck
    10 years ago

I e-mailed Komoriya nursery and asked if the bulbs they sold are hardy and can be planted outside. They responded that while they see some cold in the nursery, they did not recommend they be planted outside. They will stay in pots along with most of my species.
    Maida

• HU-17497
    Original Author
    10 years ago

She arrived, but all red and blistered.

10 years ago

Devon,

Just peel it down to a clear layer and I'm sure it will be fine as long as there is no obvious rot. Your bulb looks a bit larger than either of the two I got and mine had red marks all over both of them.. After I peeled them some of the red marks were still there and I didn't dare to peel any further so I just let both bulbs dry on the table for about 10 days and the red spots turned brown as the bulb dried. Then I just sat them on the moistened soil and voila one bulb sent up a bud! I'm sure yours will do the same. Post a picture after you've peeled yours and lets take a look. How does the basal plate look?

Donna

10 years ago

Here is my Autumn Rose Lady as of this afternoon. I can see 3 flowers and hopefully there is a forth around the other side. I am excited! There is also a bud poking up on the 2nd but smaller bulb. Love love love that color!!

So Devon, how is yours doing?

Donna

This post was edited by dondeldux on Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 16:02

• blancawing
    10 years ago

Oh Donna! She looks so beautiful. Please keep us updated as her petals unfold.

Cheers,

Blanca

• HU-17497
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've had no change other than the blisters dried up, no roots, no foliage and no stem.

10 years ago

Here she comes! Just the 3 flowers, I had to sit on my hands to keep from pealing the bud back looking for that 4th flower; three is OK.

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Yayyy for Donna! Finally you're getting something that you have been wishng for from your Komoriya bulbs.

• dragonstone
    10 years ago

Wow! Looks beautiful already! :D Can't wait to see them open!

• berkeleysgr8
    10 years ago

I love the dark veining! I can't wait to see the open blooms!

10 years ago

Well, here she is finally. When she opened at first she was wide eyed and within half a day she had changed her shape to a butterfly type shape, not that I think she has any papilio in her, but just the shape. I think that reticulatum var straitifolium more or less has the same shape.

{{gwi:375732}}

Then as the shape changed her size went down to just 3 inches, I never did measuring her when she first opened but she was at least an inch wider and she is on a 7 inch scape.

{{gwi:375733}}

The second flower opened immediately in the butterfly shape.

{{gwi:375734}}

I find this bulb has much wider white midribs on all the petals than the one in Komoriya's picture but I'm not complaining as the white midribs really stand out but I think I can see less white in the second flower that has opened.
    She seems to have finally settled on this shape.

I have a second scape of Tinkerbell # 2 that should be open in about 4 days and I'm hoping that Autumn Rose Lady's pollen might take on Tinkerbell # 2 but I had no luck with the flowers on the first scape.

{{gwi:375735}}

and no flash..

{{gwi:375736}}

I'd be interested in seeing anyone else's flowers of this variety to see if they have the wide white midribs also. So please add to this thread any pictures that you might have of yours.

Thanks,

Donna

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

She's very pretty Donna. I like the PINK!!! She sure did change her shape! Worth the wait, I bet!
    K

• HU-17497
    Original Author
    10 years ago

She looks great, still no change with mine

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Beautiful! Love those dark pink veins!

• lenanen
    10 years ago

So beautiful!!

• agapanthe64
    10 years ago

Here are mines Donna ,

I was a little dispointed the pink was different than komoriya's picture , but maybe next year it will be better ?
    And the bulbs are immediatly sending root's .
    And here's my evening butterfly :
    there wasn't many light , and I didn't used flash.

this one is absolutly not rooted.

This post was edited by agapanthe64 on Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 6:05

10 years ago

Hi, Beatrice,

Thanks for posting your pictures!! Your Autumn Rose Lady looks just like mine so now I'm not so sure that they will look any different next year but that's OK with me, I think they are adorable just the way they are! And of course next year they 'should' be well rooted so the flowers should be even cuter!

I also think your Evening Butterfly is very lovely. Mine has rooted but no flowers so far. Yours does look like Komoriya's picture I think.

I'm still waiting for my second scape of Tinkerbell # 2 to bloom so as to put the Lady's pollen on and I have a nice full pot of reticulatum var. straitifolium that I would just love to see a scape on; that cross should surely take!

Donna

• HU-17497
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm a little jealous, mine still has no flower or leaves but I am happy to say that there are a couple of roots that have finally showed up. your flowers look beautiful by the way.

• HU-17497
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm a little jealous, mine still has no flower or leaves but I am happy to say that there are a couple of roots that have finally showed up. your flowers look beautiful by the way.

• blancawing
    10 years ago

Hello Donna and chère Béatrice,

After seeing your photos of Autumn Rose Lady, GeorgeâÂÂs photos of his Autumn Pink Lady, and comparing them with KomoriyaâÂÂs photos of those hybrids, I am very curious about the filament, style, and stigma colors. Would you please describe these?

It is very difficult to discern, but it appears that in the Komoriya photos of Autumn Rose Lady the anthers are white, filaments are rose pigmented, and the stigma is white. In KomoriyaâÂÂs photos of Autumn Pink Lady these parts all appear to be white. In GeorgeâÂÂs photos of Autumn Pink Lady, I think that I can barely discern slightly rose speckled styles and stigma. I am unsure because this may just be an illusion due to differences in photography. However, if these are actual differences, they might help us to make an ID.

I will post a quick message about this on GeorgeâÂÂs thread too.

Curiously yours,

Blanca

P.S. Béatrice, your rootless Evening Butterfly is beautiful! Mine has not bloomed.

P.P.S. Devon, your flowers will likely be very beautiful when your bulb blooms after rooting. Hang in there.

10 years ago

Blanca, I have a third flower that is just about to open on my Autumn Rose Lady and I will take some hopefully telling photos of the mentioned above parts of the flower rather than try to describe myself what they look like....Thanks,...Donna

10 years ago

...and I was actually thinking of ordering an Autumn Pink Lady for further comparison but you know how things would go, it wouldn't bloom for a year or more....Donna

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Petal color and filament/style pigmentation are affected by light and temperature exposure. Cool temps with bright light results in brighter darker colors. Have yours leafed out yet Donna?

10 years ago

No leaves yet and no leaves on my September Rose Line which appears to be rooted but sits in it's pot like a pet rock!

My Autumn Rose Ladies have been kept fairly warm although not as warm as Georges I'm sure with day temps between 70ð and 72ð F and even though we do turn the heat down at night, it sits on a window ledge that is above a cast iron baseboard heater. Lots of bright light and sun (until the flowers came out of course).

Did you succumb to the temptation and buy a few of these??

Donna

This post was edited by dondeldux on Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 12:03

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Well I hope this pic of Autumn Rose Lady's leaves help you guys out later to confirm your bulb IDs. This is Komoriya's picture. Good luck!

• agapanthe64
    10 years ago

Dear Blanca ,
    Thank you for your help , here's a picture , from my autumn rose lady. Unfortunatly I've just removed the pollens.
    There is some pink on the upper part anthers but the style and stigma are all white.

• mariava7
    10 years ago

No I did not Donna. Not this season anyway. LOL

This was what I got from them in 2009. I didn't acquire anymore of their reticulatum hybrids after that.
    {{gwi:375740}}

10 years ago

Blanca, Here are my pictures that I just took.

{{gwi:375741}}

{{gwi:375742}}

{{gwi:375743}}

{{gwi:375744}}

Actually, my pollen color is more accurate in the first 3 pictures, hope this helps in your sleuthing!

Maria, your Tosca is gorgeous!! It that cute little flower in the lower right a double or a conjoined flower and what was it supposed to be?

Donna

• mariava7
    10 years ago

That is a conjoined flower. I don't know what it's Japanese name is as my Japanese friend just translated it to me as "Fragrance Dancing Princess".

Sponsored
More Discussions