Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weldontx

seedling question

weldontx
12 years ago

I am a RANK amature, especially with seedlings. These are the first I've grown. I have an appoximatly 10 X 24 inch planter with 20+ seedlings. Many have put up a third leaf. How soon can I start transplanting? and would a 1 gal. black pot for each be sufficient for the next year or two?

I just read the "Rules of the Forum" post. You guys and gals are GREAT!! Love the humor.

Comments (8)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Hi Weldontx

As for your seedlings.. I personally think that planting in a 1 gallon pot is a bit overkill..It doesn't hurt them to grow together for a year or more..If you have the room for 20+ 1 gallon pots with nothing more than a seedling in each.. than go for it, but I usually plant 4 seedlings in a 4" x 4" pot and leave them until they get all crowded and about the size of a grape..by then, you'll know if some are more vigirous than others (and there are usually big differences) and then I transplant to a larger pot and usually I still leave them together (I'm lazy and I just don't have the room).. Now it appears you are in zone 8 in Texas so you most likely could plant at some point directly in the ground..as long as you mulch them heavily in the winter..(if you have a winter..I know winter means different things depending on where you are..) seedlings grow like crazy in the ground..I have to pull them in the fall, but I am going to plant more and more of my seedlings in the ground and nature will cull the weaker ones out for you and you will just be left with the stronger more vigirous bulbs..These are all just suggestions from as I say, a lazy person..so planting directly in the ground (come spring) is most definitly the easiest way to go!! Make up your own mind though...
    Here are some pictures just to show you how crowded I really do let them get....

when we pulled these out of the ground late this fall, we did not seperate them, just plopped them in very large pots and put in a light filled cellar..continuing to water them lightly and in the warm spring I'm going to put the clumps right back in the ground (not separating)and by the end of next season, I should have some blooming size bulbs!! (Am I optimistic or what!)

{{gwi:375765}}

{{gwi:375766}}

what I might do with seedling like these in late spring is seperate the varieties, but not the individual bulbs and plop them directly in the ground (making sure they are properly labeled is a must with critters around...by fall, some of these will be the size of large grapes..maybe even larger if a feed the heck out of them (which I do!!)

{{gwi:375767}}

Donna

• weldontx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Donna, thank you so much for the feedback. Not only do I have very limited space (inside and OUT), but I too am a lazy gardener. Also getting too old to heft heavy pots around. My want to keeps outrunning my can do, How old are your seedlings in the bottom picture? I can readily see that mine will be just fine where they are even for another year.
    I'm a nut for planting seed and propagating. I need about 10 acres! I have over a dozen rose cuttings going and maybe 40+ daylily seedlings in gal pots. Come spring I'll be ready for some trades!
    I have a sign that says: Gardening is the best alternative therapy.

12 years ago

Hi, Believe it or not those seedlings are only the better part of 8 months old! They are not a cross I did, but someone from another forum this summer offered them up and I got about 15 of them. very generous...each one sprouted (see picture) and I have to say they are THEE most vigirous seedlings I have ever grown..papilio x chico two species and I think the flowers are going to be just gorgeous..The seedlings in the rear of the tray are from a cross of mine done earlier this summer. I plant all my sprouted seeds in these silly trays and the roots grow sideways, as they're not deep. Then they go out in the ground and the roots can take off in any direction they want..hopefully downward! I've seen pictures on this forum posted by Hans of the same cross and the flowers are out of this world (of course you have to like cybisters) take a look sometime when you've got time from toting around all those heavy pots...

Donna

This picture was taken July 15 2011.........

{{gwi:375768}}

• seaj
    12 years ago

I can't wait to see them when they bloom Donna!

Jared

• weldontx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Likewise, Jared. Also, I'll be watching for chances to
    obtain (trade) seeds.

Weldon

• TigerFox
    11 years ago

Dear Donna
    I'm looking forward to this H.papilio x chico combination blossom,I think the flowers are going to be just gorgeous too!
    Cheers and happy gardening!
    Tiger

11 years ago

Hi Tiger..Currently they are planted outside in the ground and I'm hoping they will double in size as my seedlings from previous years that I planted directly in the earth have done. Unfortunately, when I plant directly in the ground I always loose a few,and this cross I didn't have many but, hopefully those were the weaker ones and the strongest will survive.

Donna

• TigerFox
    11 years ago

Dear Donna
    Thank you very much for you teach this H.papilio x chico combination valuable planting experience ,I will plant this H.papilio x chico combination��if I have�� in gal pots,not plant directly in the ground.I'll plant other varieties stronger seedlings in the ground In the spring of next year.
    Cheers and happy gardening!
    Tiger

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions