Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jodik_gw

H. Minerva - My Only Bloomer for 2013

jodik_gw
11 years ago

The large Minerva bulb I was gifted with bloomed true to her name. She's beautiful, but then I've had a soft spot for this common variety since I discovered Hippeastrum bulbs!

H. Minerva
{{gwi:55988}}

With one scape yet to bloom...
{{gwi:55989}}

Thanks for looking! I should have more views of her soon... I've been fighting this awful cold/flu that's going around.

Happy Growing!

Comments (13)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

She's beautiful Jodi, looks like you got a second scape that will be full of beautiful flowers to enjoy too. Healthy looking bulb!!.. Hope you're feeling better soon..Donna

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Donna! I appreciate the good wishes.

We went north for Christmas, had a great time, and managed to bring home a bad case of this cold/flu that's traveling the country. It's a terrible lung/sinus type of cold/flu that takes a long time to completely recuperate from. I really hope no one else gets it, or has it!

This Minerva is taking her sweet time to bloom, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it!

I wanted to post sooner, but a few days before Christmas, my monitor blew up. I'm on a loaner laptop, and I'm finally figuring out how everything works so I can read and share pictures... and I'm finally feeling well enough to sit down for more than a few minutes at the computer.

I hope everyone enjoyed their holiday's... and I must say, I've really been enjoying peeking at everyone's flowers! They're all so lovely!

Happy Growing!

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

Remember Jodi...nothing more beautiful than the classics!
    Hugs,
    K {{gwi:374798}}

• haweha
    11 years ago

It looks healthy and powerful, but it is not a "Minerva" which never produces a Ring of dark-red Spots in the Center.
    The last picture shows "Minerva"!

11 years ago

Dear Hans-Werner,
    I also questioned its true identity....what do you think it is? Not quite Mega Star and not the right shape for Gilmar. My best guess is Stargazer!
    Regards,
    K (in very chilly temperatures...TX)

Here is a link that might be useful: Emaryllis gallery...Stargazer

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

I was kind of thinking Star Gazer too, here's mine, mine might look a bit more orangy though...

11 years ago

They look like twins to me!!
    K

• Fred Biasella
    11 years ago

Hi Jodi,

She sure is beautiful and I'm sure she's helping you feel better. Here in Boston the "Plague" has affected soooo many of us. Feel better and enjoy your lovely Minerva.

Warm Regards,
    Fred

11 years ago

Maybe her first name is Minerva and her last name is Stargazer. Sounds like a beautiful name for a Hippi child!
    ;-)
    Minerva Stargazer!!
    K

• jstropic (10a)
    11 years ago

Jodik,

She is a beauty no matter what you call her!
    -J

11 years ago

Jodi's like a lot of us long timers...we obsess over getting IDs correct. It's just that if we make our own crosses/hybrids it's important to have accurate names. I'm sure some of the newbies (and not so newbies) obsess just as much!!

No doubt her new bloom is beautiful!!
    K

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, everyone! I rather thought she didn't quite resemble my original Minerva, but I'm just happy to have the bulb and have it bloom for me... especially while I'm sick! Whatever red and white it is, I'll take it! I think Stargazer, too.

Either way, it's a strong bulb with strong scapes... and it appears that selfing will produce seed.

The second scape is about to open... more pictures as it happens!

Believe it or not, we're still entertaining the tail end of this plague! This is the worst cold/flu I've had in years!

11 years ago

They say that the flu epidemic has reached its peak and so it's only going to decrease cases from here. I sure hope they're right Jodi. Sorry to hear that you all are so sick. I know you must be miserable. I am very thankful that I got my flu shot and that so far have avoided getting the flu. My dogs are extremely talented but have yet to learn how to prepare soup and serve tea!!
    Hugs,
    K

PS, I had the flu one time just after I graduated from college and I remember being in bed in a dark room for 10 days. Aside from the two weeks that I spent in the hospital with mono I've never been so sick in my life. Ugh!!

Sponsored