Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

What's the secret to getting seeds from H. reticulatum?

grant_in_arizona
12 years ago

Hi all,

I love all the posts and pics on this forum, and I check in often to enjoy all of the eye candy. :) My name is Grant and I live in Scottsdale, Arizona where I grow quite a few different Hippeastrums in the ground and in pots in my garden. Hipps have been a favorite of mine since childhood, like many of you have mentioned too. I also grow a lot of other bulbs in pots and in the garden too.

In any case, I was wondering, is there a secret to getting viable seeds using H. reticulatum as the pod parent/mother plant?? I've been growing it since 2000 and it's become several nice big clumps that send up blooms a couple of times a year (not necessarily from the exact same bulb, but certainly from the same clump, LOL). I've tried pollinating it several times and have only gotten ONE seed pod that contained one nice fleshy seed (the seedling croaked at about six months, grrr). I did a quick search on the forum and saw several nice pics of H. reticulatum (lovely!), and a few threads about using it as the POLLEN parent, but none with specific success using it as the seed parent.

I've pollinated quite a few of my other hipps and have gotten lots of seedlings that I've grown to maturity, so while I'm no expert, I do have *some* success with other types, but I really would like to get some viable seed with H. reticulatum as the mother/pod parent. I'm sure I'm not alone so I thought I'd check in to see if anyone has tips/tricks or suggested pollen parents??

Thanks for any thoughts or comments. Keep the fun pictures and posts coming.

Happy gardening!

Grant

Comments (18)

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Grant,

I usually get 5 - 10 seeds per selfed pod of H. reticulatum, the best idea is to cross two separate clones which should yield quite a few seeds per pod!

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I do use different clones each time I give it a try, and have only gotten the one seed pod in the six or seven years that I've been trying to pollinate its blooms. It sounds like I should just keep on trying with different varieties until I find one, or time things, so that they work. I just thought I'd check in to see if there was a specific type or variety compatible (or incompatible) etc., so it sounds like I should just keep on trying. I do get plenty of pods and seeds from my other types, so have been wondering if there was some special approach for H. reticulatum.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it!
    Take care,
    Grant

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Grant,

What do you use to try and pollinate it with? It's a species Hippeastrum and is diploid which makes it somewhat picky, do you remember what you were successful with?

I guess I thought you meant you were self pollinating it.

Josh

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Josh. So it sounds like you're saying I should use another diploid to pollinate it with. Does that mean avoiding the big commercial hybrids? I have a dozen or two of those (many with duplicates of course), plus I have a gigantic ever-expanding clump of H. striatum and one of H. johnsoni. I have tried self-pollinating the reticulatum too, with zero good results, LOL. I used 'Charisma' for the one almost-viable seedling.

Thanks for the replies, they're really helpful.
    Take care,
    Grant

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just for fun, here's a pic of my H. reticulatum blooming in mid-December out on my patio. I'd sure like to get some viable seeds from this puppy some day, LOL.

{{gwi:375846}}

Happy gardening,
    Grant

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Grant,

This isn't H. reticulatum var. striatifolium, this is an old hybrid of reticulatum named 'Ms Garfield'. It's beautiful none the less!!

The stripe down the middle on mature leaves will be more of a greenish line as opposed to a pure white. The new leaves will appear white until they have matured with a greenish cast. Sadly many of these 'Ms Garfield' bulbs are being sold as the true species.

Josh

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Well... if that isn't just a beauty..!! Good growing and hope you have success with seeds some time soon...that's on my wish list....

Donna

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Josh! I've always wondered if it was the species of 'Mrs. Garfield' and never was quite sure how to tell them apart. Good information!

Here's a closer view of the foliage, back when it was in a smaller pot before I repotted it after Thanksgiving. Donna, if you want a small bulb from this plant, please send me a private email when it's warm enough in your part of the world (grant_in_arizona@yahoo.com). Happy to send you one.

{{gwi:375847}}

Thanks again all. I've been reading along quietly on the forum for awhile. I'm glad I jumped in with some posts. Thanks for all of the quick, friendly, and helpful replies.

Take care,
    Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Grant's online photos, all gardening and plant related

• hippiezep
    12 years ago

Hmm, intersting. I did not know about this Ms Garfield, and wonder if this one I've been calling reticulatum striatifolium is also a Ms Garfield. This one is quite common here and grows in a lot of the gardens, and blooms at times when no other Hippiastrum are blooming.

I've tried crossing it with itslef, with other similar individuals and with a variety of other kinds, but I have never had a seed pod develop in three years.

{{gwi:375848}}

{{gwi:375850}}

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Zep,

That also appears to be Ms. Garfield which is often passed on as H. reticulatum.

Josh

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    11 years ago

STILL no viable seed pods this year, grrr, but I haven't given up, LOL.

Just for fun, here's my largest clump of 'Mrs. Garfield' out in the garden where she stays all year, just about busting out of her pot (Wilson the tennis ball tucked in to show relative size).

{{gwi:375851}}

Take care and happy gardening Hipp fans!
    Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics from my garden June 2012

11 years ago

Hi Grant!

Here is a picture of my Mrs Garfield..she just shot up a new fat leaf..look at the size of it and the wide stripe and with smaller stripes on either side of the middle one, if you can see it.

She has a way to go to look like her "mother", but she is well on her way and very happy, as I am!!

Donna

{{gwi:375852}}

{{gwi:375853}}

• HU-17497
    11 years ago

Donna, is that a small bowl of seeds? i looks like your stock piling them ;). And Grant when your looking to thin out and transplant Mrs. Garfield, let me know i would love to swap a bulb or two if your interested.
    Devon

11 years ago

Devon,

The other pots are clivias, and those "seeds" at the bottom of the picture, (you've got a good eye), are sunflower seeds, I sit in a chair out front and feed the chipmunks, they come right up to me, I keep the seeds inside as the critters now go in the garage searching for their seeds...:-)

Donna

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hiya Donna, Devon and all,

Great stuff! Donna, your baby 'Mrs. Garfield' looks great! She's made a lot of progress and that new leaf is really nice. It's great to see her so happy and growing there. Thanks for the update. Devon, I'll definitely post or get in touch when I break apart this clump of 'Mrs. Garfield', or whenever she breaks her pot, whichever comes first.

Thanks for looking/commenting all, happy gardening!
    Grant

• eroslo
    11 years ago

Hi from Mexico Grant and Donna beautiful plants, I'm writing you asking for a big favor, if you by chance have some seeds to share please send me an e-mail eroslo10@hotmail.com
    thanks so much

• amaryllisstudygroup
    11 years ago

Hello Grant, your problem is your location mostly. Your dry hot (as opposed to humid hot) climate makes it difficult for pollination. When you get a scape growing, bring the pot inside. It will enjoy about the same range we amaryllis caregivers do. 68F - 82F. Although it can take much higher &lower temps, the dryness where you are makes the hot temps difficult. Mist the leaves every 2-3 days. If you can't put the pot inside during flowering and pod growth, put it in lots of shade, but not the solid shade of a building or wall. And especially
    mist the leaves every 1-2 days with water or chamomille tea in addition to what you give the pots.
    What is your pot mix?
    If you are trying to pollinate your outdoor cluster of bulbs, use a shade cloth with misting & irrigation. The reticulatum striatifolium in the ancestry is what makes it difficult. Mrs. Bury in England made the cross, reticulatim striatifoliumXDefiance=Mrs.. Garfield
    The story is interesting and you can search it on the net . It was presented at the London Arboretum in 1885, I think. I talked to a grower in se Florida a couple years ago who grows reticulatum striatifolium in a high humidity greenhouse.. He grows them in thin green plastic 5 inch pots with loose organic mix. And.says it offsets like crazy for him very profitable
    He bought 6 bulbs 20 years ago and sells a thousand $ worth each year.

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    11 years ago

HIya amaryllisstudygroup and all,

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. I'll see if I can bring it indoors next time it's blooming. Your timing is great as my biggest pot is producing a fun off-season stalk right now, so I can give it a try. I'll go search for the story about the creation of Mrs. Garfield too, thanks for the tip.

Happy hipping everyone!
    Take care,
    Grant

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor
More Discussions