Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeromej13

Orange Sovereign

jeromej13
18 years ago

Nothing out of the ordinary, I know, but this is my first OS. I'm delighted with the 6 flowers on each stalk and the rich orange. It's a keeper.

{{gwi:376282}}

Jérôme

Comments (37)

• susanan_gw
    18 years ago

Just what one needs to see on dark dreary winter days such as these. Thank you for the pick-me-up!!!

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

Wow that's cool. It may not be anything special to you, but it's new to me. I'd never seen one before. Thanks for sharing your pic.

• mariava7
    18 years ago

I love it! Orange is my favorite color. Will have to get one of that. Thanks for sharing Jerome.

• jeromej13
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for your comments. I only meant that this particular hybrid has been around for a while, but I'm impressed with it too! It sometimes look a little more reddish, depending on the light.

• kniphofia
    18 years ago

Orange is my favorite color too, and surprisingly I've not had this variety before. A friend gave me a potted plant for Christmas and I've really enjoyed the intense color.

Gorgeous photo Jerome!

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

This is a pretty one.....I don't have this color either.

Wow that one must really stand out!

• shebob
    18 years ago

Thanks for sharing the beautiful photo. My first amaryllis was an Orange Sovereign given to me by a student 23 years ago. I still have that bulb; it is bigger than ever and blooms beautifully every year on two or even three scapes. It has also produced several offsets that are doing well for our friends. Despite all the other beautiful Amaryllis that I have seen (and am beginning to collect!) OS never disappoints. It is a beautiful and reliable performer that has a special place in my heart!

• jeromej13
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Shebob, I'm delighted to hear that your OS has been around for more than 23 years and that it's such a reliable bloomer.

The last two flowers on my first scape are opening up, and they don't give a hoot about symmetry. The plant looks like it's crossing its legs. (-:

{{gwi:376283}}

• Amanda (asarumgreenpanda, z6MA)
    18 years ago

I really like the "crossed legs" picture, Jerome. Great angle, and also highlights one of my favorite characteristic of OS - the purple-y tone on the exterior of the blooms.

Amanda

• jeromej13
    Original Author
    18 years ago

One more picture, featuring flower No. 5. I think I'm obsessed!

{{gwi:376284}}

• haweha
    18 years ago

That "#5" is a GREAT snapshot {{gwi:27144}}

for your wonderfull image files you are sharing.

Liebe Gruesse
    Hans-Werner

• caflowerluver
    18 years ago

Beautiful amaryllis! I love the color. I will have to put that on my list of ones to get.

• soultan
    16 years ago

Oh, this is the thread where I should post my friend, Molnarka's picture of her office co-worker:

{{gwi:376285}}

• woodthrush
    16 years ago

lol - that's flower power Soultan!
    What a beautiful orange. I'm looking for a pot big enough to put Orange Souvereign and Rilona together, but it's hard to find nice pots at this time of the year.

• hopflower
    16 years ago

It certainly is a wonderful flower. And picture. It has made my morning. I just got up a bit ago, and this has made a great start to my day.

Now, of course, I have to have one.

• soultan
    16 years ago

You see: average sized bulb and monster blooms. I love Orange Souvereign. I think I have more than one. No wonder.

• hopflower
    16 years ago

I was referring to picture #5. Amazing.

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Holy Sox! That is one huge bloom! Very very pretty and glad to see you posting more Photos my friend, Soultan!

• soultan
    16 years ago

Thank you Cindee. At least you are my friend, because my enemy here tries to cross my way all the time. :o) I prefer you as a friend.

• mariava7
    16 years ago

Ahhhhh...Just lovely..

Soultan...WOW!!! I cannot believe those huge flowers coming out from that size of a bulb. Amazing.
    Was that an established bulb with good roots already? Or a newly planted one? What variety is it? How does these Jumbo bulbs perform after giving out all those blooms?

• soultan
    16 years ago

Maria dear,

That was my initial impresson as well.
    It was a newly bought bulb. Orange Souvereign. The bulb itself is not jumbo, as you see. Probably about 32-36 cm size. I have a jumbo from Royal Colors, It has bloomed for me with three impressive scapes, 5 flowers on each scape. Right now, it is out in the flower bed. I will lift it probably next month, then we will see how it does this year, so I will be able to tell you about repeat performance. In the mean time, I bought a Jumbo Carmen. It should arrive any days now... I can't wait. Oh, and as you know, I bought a Jumbo Mont Blanc not too long ago... It is interesting that they are out with these Jumbos now all over the place.

• mariava7
    16 years ago

I was browsing over my photobucket and found this. Only now have I realized how much pics I have stored in there...405 as of tonight!!! Anyway, this pic was taken early spring this year inside the garage where I let some of the amaryllis bloom. Back left is Orange Soveriegn, back right is Pamela and front is Ludwig's Dazzler. Oldies but goodies...

{{gwi:376286}}

Soultan...Give me one more growing season and I will make my amaryllises bulbs Jumbo too. Some of them have 37-39 cm bulbs already. Then I'll sell them to you...LOL!

• soultan
    16 years ago

Okay Maria,

If they are varieties I don't have yet, I will buy up. :o)

• beetle_2007
    16 years ago

thats what the name said on the kit.[along with a pic] To me, its more reddish than orange.
    {{gwi:376288}}
    {{gwi:375193}}

• soultan
    16 years ago

Indeed, it does not look orange to me either. Seems more deep pink like Telstar.

• beetle_2007
    16 years ago

Telstar sounds interesting. I wouldn't mind if this is it.

• soultan
    16 years ago

That is my suggestion. Deep pink-cyclamen.

• beetle_2007
    16 years ago

No pics this time..promise he he..but a question. Does any one have a pic of telstar? Love to see it.

• hopflower
    16 years ago

Here is a link to a picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Australian Bulb Society

• soultan
    16 years ago

Beetle,

The Australian Bulb Society's page is incorrect. Telstar is pink.

• beetle_2007
    16 years ago

Thanks for giving me an idea of what this bulb is..I love the color, and I think I remember some one saying, if you are happy with it, thats all that matters. 'an Orange Sovereign..by any other name...lol!

• soultan
    16 years ago

No problem. I'm glad you like it no matter what.

• haweha
    16 years ago

The second image (against the daylight through the curtains) does suggest the "gracilis" hybrid "Donau" - it shows exactly its correct color. If the flowers are rather SMALL then my diagnosis can be declared "almost confirmed"

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Hans...Is that you??? So happy to see you my friend!

• soultan
    16 years ago

I just bought Donau for Tünde in Hungary. I wish I could buy it for myself.

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Soultan, why can you not get one for yorself? Doneau is a beautiful rich lavender red flower! Could you get one for you and have your friend send it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Doneau

• soultan
    16 years ago

Where to get it from? Tünde lives in Hungary. The Hungarian Forum managed to put in an order and there was Donau in it, so I ordered one for Tünde, but it cannot come out to me... She would get my bulb for $5, get the phyto, then shipping... And I am over $50 on one single bulb. I am just realistic and will wait till I can find any available for me. Most of the European retailers don't sell to us. I tried.

Sponsored
More Discussions