Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

H. Tango or H. LaPaz...it's getting worse!

I thought I would start another thread so that this does not get buried in a thread about H. Papilio!

Yesterday, as mentioned in another thread..."Who am I if not H. papilio?", I wrote my contact at KAVB with our H. Tango vs H. LaPaz identity question. They were very helpful when I registered H. Gordie.

Here is the content of my note, followed by today's response from the KAVB registrant:

Dear _____,

There is "heated debate" here in the USA regarding the two hybrids of Hippeastrum, H. LaPaz and H. Tango. One is being sold as the other and it is clear that they are not identical.

Is it possible that you could send me the written description of each from the Official KAVB Registry so that I can share it with a large group of international collectors and hobbyists? While it is not going to be the end of the world if we cannot resolve this, it nearly is so for those of us who insist on proper labeling of bulbs in our collections!

We see (illustrated in the photos below) that the bloom of what is being sold as H. Tango has tan pedicels, the lower petals are straight and extend outward at ~45-degree angles, whereas H. LaPaz on the right has green pedicels, the lower petals are curving inwards. Generally there are very similar colorations between the two hybrids with subtle differences.

As the Registering Authority, any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
Kindest regards,
____
Spring, TX

Their response follows:

Dear _____,

With reference to your email I am sending you some photos of the two cultivars. A Pdf with de description will help you further, I hope.

The following link http://www.azaleas.org/index.pl/rhsmacfan1.html gives all the colour numbers we have used. They may have the actual colours as well on their site, but I could not find them this quick.

with best wishes,
_______
Taxonomist / Librarian

I have also attached a photo (screen shot) of the photos I sent them and what they returned.

PLEASE NOTE that H. Tango that they registered in no way even resembles the H. Tango that I have and that all of use have been growing. It is clearly different than the registered hybrid H. LaPaz!!!

Here are the descriptions in Dutch and a rough translation to English:
Tango
5 bloemen. Binnenzijde: dorsale helft paarsrood-actig ca. 187B/C maar iets meer oranjeachtig, ventral overwegend groenachtig ca 1C en met zeer fijne roodachtige streping/spikkeling. Helmdraden en stijl lichtgroen-achtig met fijne vlekjes/streepjes. Bloemsteeltje met sterke sterke anthocyaankleuring. Steel met zeer sterke anthocyaankleuring aan de basis. Blad met anthcyaan.

5 flowers. Inside: dorsal half purple red-187B actig ca./C but slightly more Orange like, ventral predominantly greenish ca 1 c and with very fine reddish streaking/spikkeling. Helmet wires and light green-like style with fine spots/stripes. Flower stalk with strong strong anthocyaankleuring. Steel with very strong anthocyaankleuring to the base. Leaves with anthcyaan. (English)

LaPaz
Binnenzijde: donker paarsrood 185A, onderste bloembladen met geeigroene 150C/D streep. Helmdraden geelgroen 150 C/D. Stijl geelgroen 150 C/D. Bloemsteeltje met anthocyaan. Steel met anthocyaan aan de basis. Blad met anthocyaan.

Inside: dark purple red 185A, lower petals, bearing geeigroene 150 c/D stripe. Helmet wires yellow green 150 C/D. style yellow green 150 C/d. Flower stalk with anthocyanin. Shank with anthocyanin at the base. Leaves with anthocyanin. (English)

Part of me is laughing at this whole thing...and I'm ready to call my H. Tango, LaPango (per Hans-Werner's suggestion). My H.LaPaz has been verified as LaPaz...but that plant was a gift last year, was highly virused, and is of no use to me.

Today I responded to their note with kind thanks and asked if they recognized the bloom that we have been calling H. Tango. I'll keep you posted!

THOUGHTS??
Kristi

Comments (8)

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

So, who was the 'Paul Aden' of the Hip. world? He really messed with our hosta world.

Lemme guess, they were in it for the money and said, 'wink wink nudge nudge' when it came time to register them on a Friday afternoon at 4:58 … right before a three-day weekend.

We'll pass it now, and see what's in it (describe it) later.

dave

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dave...

These 2 were registered nearly 6 months apart back in 2001-2002.

The problem is that what we are buying as H. Tango, apparently doesn't really resemble the registered H. Tango....and blooms from what we are buying as H. Tango and H. La Paz are nearly identical. Perhaps you could fill us in on the Hosta problem. Or start another thread with that sage about Paul Aden

I put this thread up because several are struggling with these IDs right now and the bulbs were sold by many distributors. I thought that this would be a great reference with the registry material.

Kristi

• blancawing
    9 years ago

Dear Kristi,

For many years, I was able to access a detailed database via the De Koninklijke Algemeene Vereeniging voor Bloembollencultuur (KAVB) site, which listed information about each registered Hippeastrum cultivar. After reading your most interesting post, my helmdraden (i.e., filaments) are twitching! ☺ I am wondering if KAVB has altered/augmented/updated some of the information contained in its Registry, or if perhaps, there is a difference between the information contained in the official KAVB Registry and their database.

In 2012, I was researching Hippeastrum cultivars whose descriptions in the KAVB database included the color purple . As the descriptions of both ‘La Paz’ and ‘Tango’ fell into this category, I saved their detailed information, which is shown directly below this message.

Please Note:

At that time, the salient differences between the registered cultivars were as follows:

The Primary Color of ‘La Paz’ was listed as Royal Horticultural Society (RHS) 185A, and it was further described as eenkleurig / egaal (monochromatic/having only one color). In contrast, the Primary Color of ‘Tango’ is RHS 187B, and it was specified as tweekleurig (bicolored/two-tone).

Thank you very much for your efforts! I hope that you will receive additional information, and an ID. Meanwhile, I continue to be curious, mystified, bemused, and amused. Until we are able to resolve this perplexing issue, I will adopt Hans-Werner's apropos moniker ‘La Pango’ with pleasure and merriment!

Cheers,

Blanca

LA PAZ - Spider Group
    Flower Primary Colour
    RHS 185A RHS
    UPOV dark purple-red
    NDS1 donker paarsrood
    NDS2 donkerrood
    NDS3 rood
    Variegation of Colour Flower eenkleurig / egaal

TANGO - Spider Group
    Flower Primary Colour
    RHS 187B
    UPOV dark purple-red
    NDS1 donker paarsrood
    NDS2 donkerrood
    NDS3 rood
    Variegation of Colour Flower tweekleurig

Flower Secondary Colour
    RHS 001C
    UPOV yellow-green
    NDS1 geelgroen
    NDS2 lichtgeel
    NDS3 geel

This post was edited by blancawing on Sat, Jan 24, 15 at 5:32

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

Suffice it to say, there once lived a man who loved hostas. He visited many people's gardens, including breeders, and things would disappear. He himself claimed to be a hybridizer, though no one knows where he might have had such a facility. He was responsible for naming and registering many, many, many plants. Without him, one could honestly say, we probably would not have as many as the over 6,000 cv we now have, because no one else was registering them. After he died, the dirty little secret emerged. Now there are some in the hosta community that want to take the registered names away, and in some cases switch them

Anyway, it is a mess.

dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Paul Aden Story

Original Author
    9 years ago

Dear Blanca,
    There was more info on the sheets that I received, I just copied the written description. You can see that for H. La Paz the primary color is dark purple-red with the lower petals bearing yellowish-green.

Hmm, the mystery deepens as your descriptions don't seem to match what I was sent. And the photos show blooms that don't really look at all like each other. I did ask about the blooms with tan pedicles. Waiting for a response.
    K

Original Author
    9 years ago

I just looked at the RC sight.., and for H. Tango, they have a photo of a very dark flower (courtesy of a forum member) and it looks just like the bloom that KAVB registered as H. Tango. At least someone has the right bloom!!! (Wink M!).

The tan pedicels still throw me. Maybe those blooms are a sport of H. La Paz!! Still gravitating towards LaPango!
    ;-)
    K

• fishing_dentist
    9 years ago

My Tango, as it will be sold here in Europe
    {{gwi:2122295}}

Original Author
    9 years ago

Looks like the KAVB registered one as far as I can see! MORE red for sure!!
    ;-)
    K