Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Cybisters (continued)

Posted by haweha 7/Germany/W (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 17:49

The Page did already get sooo long, so I decided to show the #15 to #18 of H.cybister "Chico" x H.papilio
here.

Photobucket
Largest flower diameter was from #18 (RIGHT)

Final stage
Photobucket
#18 produced 4 much prettier flowers from their 2nd scape, and as is clearly visible, extraordinary Diameter (17 cm)

Closeup on #18
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Cybisters (continued)

Hans-Werner,

I think the mating of chico with papilio (either way) is one of the best cross anyone can make, after looking at all your gorgeous results..endless.. one beauty right after another, even though I know you have your favorites.

I have 5 remaining seedlings given to me of papilio x Chico and they are quite large. I also have a big fat seedpod sitting atop my papilio scape x Chico and I can't wait to see the seeds. If I end up with no other seeds this season other than the two pods on papilio, then these will keep me happy... Donna

o

• Posted by haweha 7/Germany/W (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 14:50

You say it, Donna!
I recommend that Private Breeders, whose Area is limited, consider breeding these - their consumption of space is so little. Their leaves are rather small. Conspicuously small in comparison to their well sized bulbs of 25+ cm in circumference.I LIKE THAT! The result is, huge containers become them well - yet the required area is small. Everybody who grows the common TETraploid Hippeastrums knows, that the leaf FAN will require times and times more area as compared to the area the container requires for itself.
The left side of the following pictures and of the first 2 pictures above show #16 which is the strongest sibling. It produced 2 scapes w/5 florets each, and two Daughter bulbs, one of these prematurely blooming.
Photobucket

Closeup on individual flowers, and, considering the vigor of the sibling, I regret, they are not overly attractive to me:
Photobucket

The 2 Flowers from the tiny Daughter bulb are, surprisingly, barely smaller (13,5 cm in diameter) than the flowers of the 5-umbel (14 cm)
Photobucket

o

Thanks for the "prize" for finding the small scape! The photos are gorgeous. I agree with Donna, "Chico" x H. papilio is one of the best crosses out there! The colors and form is a great combination! -Tina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here