Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pansyloverandgrower

All of amaryllis stalks broke

I have(more like had) a really pretty amaryllis, had HUGE pinkish blooms, it had two flowering stalks, each had about 5 flowers. and today i noticed both stalks broke and fell. i have never had an amaryllis before, so i am wondering if i will die? I will feel really bad if its a goner, since my grandma gave it to me, and it was super pretty. It didnt produce any leaves. I didnt throw the plant out yet. It it is still alive, what can i do for the plant so it recovers and is healthy again?

Comments (14)

• bloomingcelery
    13 years ago

Well, if you put the stalks into a vase, they will continue to bloom. Put the pot with the bulb in a nice sunny window. In time, the bulb will put up the leaves that fuel the flower development so it will bloom again next year. Just make sure you don't overwater since the bulb could rot if it is too wet. Only water when the soil is nicely dry. They are not hard to care for which is why they are my only houseplant.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

So, the plant has to have leaves in order for it to bloom ? I have about 4 amaryllis that already have a tall stalk, but no leaves. Does this mean that they will not bloom? This is going to break my heart. I watch these plants, its whats getting me thru the winter blahs. Seems like it taking forever for them to bloom, maybe that why. I thought it was an old case of the watched pot. Should I cut off the stalk, and wait for another stalk after it starts to get leaves? These bulbs were just planted about 1 month ago, from Lowes $1.75 SALE.. Barbra.

• Carl
    13 years ago

pansyloverandgrower wrote "i have never had an amaryllis before, so i am wondering if i will die?"

No! No, you'll be fine! Although Hippeastrum are known to be pretty poisonous. As long as you don't lick your fingers after touching the broken parts, you'll be all right ;-)
    (Yeah, I know it's a typo)

For real now, the blooms last for a more than week. After that the stalks wither and can be pulled out.
    Foliage normally appears after the flowering stalk, so just wait a little.

@Barbara: You too, just be patient. Don't overwater them, they just need a good gulp of water to wake up. The flowers use up a lot of energy, but the bulbs should be big enough for that.
    Make sure that you'll put them in a real sunny spot and feed them regularly so that they'll bring out lots of leaves for next year's flowers.

• bloomingcelery
    13 years ago

Your bulbs should bloom fine. Amaryllis have leaves over the summer. To get them to bloom for Christmas, the growers put them into a dormancy period where all the leaves die back and the bulb rests for roughly 6 weeks. Then, when replanted and watered they use all that stored energy to bloom. Some will put up leaves while blooming, some will wait until done blooming, but all should leaf out again so they can start rebuilding themselves for next year's bloom. This season's blooms came from the energy stored from last year's leaves.

• pansyloverandgrower
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay thanks! i was scared! i know how to care for them( just to let some of you know), but i had read somewhere that the plant dies if the stalk fell off, which i didnt really believe, but i didnt want to keep a dead plant, so thankds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Thanks, for all the information. Today it is 29 degrees in San Antonio, I have my bulbs covered. Not so lucky for the bulbs in Rockport. It will get down to 31 degrees tonight. What is the freezing temp for amaryllis bulbs outside? I have 13 newly planted bulbs in Rockport. Barbra

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Hi Barbra,

If the temps only go down to 31 or so.. only at night.. for a short time it shouldn't really hurt the bulb as long AS THE GROUND DOESN'T ACTUALLY FREEZE..it takes a week or so of below 32 degrees to actually freeze the ground. Now, I'm assuming that the bulbs themselves are completely buried beneath the soil, if they are half out of the soil, then you may have a problem... the leaves if any, will surely get mushy and die...even if the bulb is totally buried. Hopefully, you've got some leaves that you didn't clean up this fall all over the bulbs, that will surely help. Of course this is advice from someone is MA where we are buried in snow and the temps are going to go below ZERO this weekend.
    Good luck..

Donna

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Oh, I may have a problem, the bulb is half out of the soil. There is no protection with mulch, but I have them planted on the south side of the garage. For some reason, I did not think the bulbs would freeze in zone 9b. I will keep my fingers crossed. Barbra

• pansyloverandgrower
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, and i am wondering....I have 3 small amaryllis(not nearly as impressive as my broken stemmed one), and they are forming seeds, so im keeping them. But they are in water and peblles. The water in moldy, they keep falling out, and the water smells REALLY bad. do you think they would grow in soil?

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Please,Please,Please, Plant them in soil and get them out of the moldy water!! Your poor bulbs are begging for some help..

• debbiecatherine
    8 years ago

Hello my amarylis got broke at the stalk. It has four blooms on it. Is there anyway to preserve them? I tried putting them in water but the water just got gross.

• thomas_vb
    8 years ago

Hello,

You can keep it blooming by putting the stalk in a vase. Some people advice to fill the hollow stalk with water first. That way, it should preserve longer :)

Good luck!

Thomas

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    8 years ago

Debbie,

The stalks are hollow so cut clean across the bottom, then turn it upside down over the sink and fill the "tube" with water from the tap. Hold your finger over the cut end of the stalk and lower it into the water. The stalk should bloom for a good long while if you do this. You'll need to change the water every 3 days or so.