Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
radarcontactlost_gw

I need your opinion please

radarcontactlost
13 years ago

I know we have covered this in abundance, but I figured before I pitched a newly acquired plant I would ask you guys for your opinion. Is this TMV? Thanks

{{gwi:376615}}

Comments (16)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

I'm thinking yes....it's a little hard to see, but it looks rectangular and patchy to me.
    K

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

I was thinking yes also, but was afraid to dredge this subject up again with out a more definitive photo. Could you possibly take a closer, clearer photo? Was this one of your new bulbs this year, and where did it come from...? Is there more than one leaf and did this already bloom..?

Donna

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Newbie here. :-)
    What are we looking for/at? Is it the very bright green area?

JoJo

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Sadly I say yes too :(

Kristi, a Hadeco or two is starting to show symptoms :( I plan to write Hadeco to inform them, it's my "FanFare" :(

• cindeea
    13 years ago

What's with abbreviations? People use them when IDing plants even... TMV I am guessing a virus? It sure would be helpful to new folks and slow old people like me if we all could type out names etc. I am not a texter so I do not know the short cuts. Some plants, ailments etc may be very common to a lot of people but not to everyone. NOT complaining, just wishing to be part of the conversations.

• paul_
    13 years ago

TMV = tobacco mosaic virus

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

TMV is an abbreviation but it's actually a scientific abbreviation so it's a bit different, sadly it's always referred to as TMV or HMV for Hippeastrum Mosaic Virus :)

• radarcontactlost
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So i pitched the plant and in doing so found another from the same seller that was infected. Sorry the picture was so bad but I had a heck of a time focusing on such a small leaf. Its a San Antonio Rose and I have been looking for them for quite some time. Finally I found some and its infected. I have another pot of it that is not showing symptoms yet, but im going to keep an eye on it. I got these from an ebay seller this year but they are a licensed nursery. Some things just slip through I guess.

• misss
    13 years ago

Hi, I have been lurking around here for years and just love this forum. I just ordered 8 bulbs from this source. Do these plants show symptoms from the start? What do I need to look for?

• radarcontactlost
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I dont believe I mentioned who I got them from, but message me and well see if its that same place. I really dont want to hurt someones business. Things happen that are beyond are control, but I made them aware of a potential problem.

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

I sent you a message via gardenweb :) How did they handle the news?

• radarcontactlost
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They denied they had a problem actually. They said they have never had a problem and their other plants show no signs. I def don't think it's from me as both the plants came from the same vendor. I haven't seen a lick of TMV since early summer when I pitched some plants from another vendor. It's hard to find good sources. Especially when your looking for harder to find specimens.

• mariava7
    13 years ago

Hmmmmm....
    Is this grower/nursery from FL?

• radarcontactlost
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yessss they are in fact. Email me and I will compare notes with you.

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

I'm assuming you had problems as well Maria?

• mariava7
    13 years ago

Joshy...You better safeguard your precious specie collection from these newly acquired hybrids most specially ones that were grown in fields.

I'd hate to see/read such a nice collection go to the burning pit someday. I'm tellin ya..."IT IS NOT WORTH IT"!!!

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!