Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
radarcontactlost_gw

White Amaryllis

radarcontactlost
13 years ago

I thought that last post about the yellow amaryllis was fun to see all the different varieties. Let do it again and share our mostly white kinds!

Comments (53)

• Carl
    13 years ago

{{gwi:376675}}

{{gwi:376676}}

Sydney

I hope my three ones bloom this season again!

• mariava7
    13 years ago

One of my favorites...

Picotee...a classic!

{{gwi:376677}}

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Beautiful blooms everyone! I really love the white ones. (Noni, is yours a Maguires? It's amazing.)

Here's my whites:
    Christmas Gift (White Christmas):
    {{gwi:376678}}From Spring 2010

Breck's "hardy" (Alfresco?):
    {{gwi:376679}}From Spring 2010

and Spotted Witch:
    {{gwi:376680}}From Spring 2010

Alana

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Oh oh oh - I can't believe I forgot Moonlight:
    {{gwi:376680}}From Spring 2010

and Amputo:
    {{gwi:376681}}From GardenWeb pics

Green Goddess:
    {{gwi:376682}}From GardenWeb pics

Alana

• cindeea
    13 years ago

ahhhhh
    Beton that Sydney is beautiful and elegant! Love the background sccene too!
    Donna Alfresco is delicious! Great photos everyone

and thanks for the reminder Maria-here's one of My Picotee's
    {{gwi:376683}}From Amaryllis 2008-09

This lovely gift was supposed to be Flair...glad it's not!
    {{gwi:376684}}From Amaryllis 2008-09

• Carl
    13 years ago

Thanks! But that is of course not Sydney but Amputo (like Alana's), stupid me.

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Amputo is really difficult for me to get to rebloom. Anyone have the secret? And of course, I had a cut and paste error above - sorry about that. Looks like Moonlight was hiding, here's the real one:
    {{gwi:376685}}From 09 / 10 hippi season

Alana

• Noni Morrison
    13 years ago

{{gwi:376686}} Green Goddess,

{{gwi:376687}},

{{gwi:376688}}Trentino,
    {{gwi:376689}} Antarctica, my favorite white!But the bulbs were not good keepers.I don't know whether any of them have survived.

• mariava7
    13 years ago

A beautiful constant performer...

Aphrodite
    {{gwi:376690}}

{{gwi:376691}}

• fishing_dentist
    13 years ago

Baby doll

{{gwi:376692}}

Siberia

{{gwi:376693}}

Snow crest

{{gwi:372908}}

Best regards

• Noni Morrison
    13 years ago

Anyone else salivating to buy new whites?! In looking back through my photos I was surprised how many of the ones I Had over the last 4 years are not available now. It seemed like everyone was offering them when I bought them! That tells me to make sure I have good healthy specimens of the ones I like while they are available! I saw so many that were glorious but that I haven't seen since as I Looked through my old photos. So if you have one you like, take real good care of it!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Well, I forgot about Aphrodite, and of course she is basically white.. so I'll add a few of mine..

{{gwi:376694}}

{{gwi:376695}}

and I guess this is pushing the envelope, but Rebel IS basically a white flower... sorry..

{{gwi:376696}}

Donna

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Pretty white blooms - and almost-white blooms too. Snow Crest is one I haven't seen before. Lovely!

Donna, your Rebel is impressive. The seeds you sent are starting to germinate. Were they a self or were they a cross with something else?

Alana

• Carl
    13 years ago

{{gwi:376697}}

An unknown, pretty perfect, big white one from a friend of mine, the red spots appeared when he started to feed them regularly.

13 years ago

Alana, They were selfed, as I didn't have anything else out at the time except Indian Fairy, and now I'm glad I didn't put her pollen on Rebel, since I suspect she is "sick"...a real bummer. But Rebel is as healthy as a horse...I didn't have much luck pollinating the Maguires, but I got 6 seeds from Surprise x Party Pooper and they germinated and I was all excited and a few weeks after I planted them the fungus gnats moved in and they all died..! I was keeping them on top of the TV cabinet and they stayed too warm, and I think that's why the gnats moved in so swiftly, they loved the warmth..plus the fact that I'm afraid I let them dry out, I'm usually much more diligent, but the warmth from the cable box and the TV was a bit too much. I've never quite had that trouble before with seedlings.

My Rebel seeds have all germinated and they have been planted and I am keeping them very cool and I put lots more perlite in the potting mix and so far so good.

Actually, I have two selfed pods on Shirley May, so far so good with those, I do think they have gone past the critical point...and I suppose I should mention that I selfed Tangellino, and harvested the seeds, I'm not even going to grow those, but the other pod of Tangellino, I had a tiny bit of Blossom Peacock pollen that I used and then a day or two later I threw a dab of Aphrodite on too. They have been harvested and I am soaking a few of those, but I didn't even bother to offer the rest up as I didn't think it sounded like much of a cross...want some...;-) ?

Donna

• Noni Morrison
    13 years ago

Donna, or anyone else with Maguire's selfed seeds....want to make a trade for selfed "My Picotee"? I would love to have some of your Shirley May, as mine was one of the bulbs badly frozen when it was in bloom. I think I have saved the bulb but it will be awhile before it blooms again I think. I lost about half the bulb. Sure glad I had gotten to enjoy the flowers, and I did enjoy every day with them! IT looks as though I will also have seeds on Eternal Princess which is a BEAUTIFUL hot pink flower with a triangular shape,. I am only interested in trading for other Maguire's crosses or selfs.

13 years ago

Noni, Ok, I'll email you when my Shirley May Pods ripen, there are two of them,(both selfed) they aren't all that large, but they look really good. I thought the colors in Shirley were so amazing, I just hoped there would be another few flowers that would come close to those amazing colors..didn't want to add anything else to the mix. I have one other hippie friend who might want some of those also so I know I'll have enough to share with you. I'd love to have a few of any of your selfed Maguires...Your My Picotee was beautiful...It's too bad I didn't think to offer you some selfed Rebel,(I offered them up to people on the other forum... you propably didn't see it) I mailed out 6 to 9 seeds to 7 people..I had 97 seeds in 2 pods and I kept 20 of them and every single one of them germinated and have been planted. In the future when they are old enough to travel, (and that would be quite a trip) I can send you a few of the bulblets if you'd like. I sent some to DR in
    Colorado and believe it or not, they got lost in the mail...he never received them..I hope they'd come back to me eventually, but I think for sure they will have been frozen by now...

Donna

• Noni Morrison
    13 years ago

That would be Awesome, Donna! I may have other bublets to share too.

• brigarif Khan
    13 years ago

Hi
    some of mine
    {{gwi:376698}}
    {{gwi:376699}}
    {{gwi:376701}}
    {{gwi:376702}}
    {{gwi:376703}}
    {{gwi:376704}}
    {{gwi:376705}}
    {{gwi:376707}}
    {{gwi:376709}}
    {{gwi:376711}}tobucket">
    {{gwi:376712}}
    {{gwi:376713}}
    {{gwi:376714}}

Others later
    Arif

• fishing_dentist
    13 years ago

very nice Arif!
    I like Your doves too! I had these, when i whas a child :-)!

• Noni Morrison
    13 years ago

"What lovely delicate coloring in many of your "white's"!

• anna_in_quebec
    13 years ago

Such gorgeous photos everyone! Here I am adding my Intokazi, a Hadeco Symphony bulb - it is supposed to be pure white, but as you can it has some faint red striping (not all the blooms have it):

{{gwi:376715}}

{{gwi:376716}}

PS - I have taken the pollen off as this window garden is frequented by the feline residents:

{{gwi:376717}}

This is Sylvester, a neighbor's cat actually, but loves to warm up at our place - today is -20! Pure white Tristan would have made a gorgeous pic with Intokazi, but didn't sit still long enough :).

• wakechick
    13 years ago

beautiful! i am still waiting for mine to come back this winter!

• brigarif Khan
    13 years ago

{{gwi:376719}}From Amaryllis 2010Untitled Album

• brigarif Khan
    13 years ago

Hi.
    PLEASE SHOW ME A WHITE WITHOUT A TING OF ANY OTHER COLOUR.
    AREAL PURE WHITE

• mariava7
    13 years ago

For you ARIF...

{{gwi:376720}}

• brigarif Khan
    13 years ago

It is lovely white with a blush of red.
    Is there a pure white with a white throat and no hint of yellow or red.

• brigarif Khan
    13 years ago

For Maria;
    {{gwi:376721}}

• aacor11
    11 years ago

Lovely!!!

Thank you all for your beautiful white ones!

• brigarif Khan
    11 years ago

White for me is un-adultrated white, here is my this years seedling it is huge XL but has only two buds I have crossed it with 4 flowered L size the third photo.
    {{gwi:376722}}From Anaryllis 2013
    {{gwi:376723}}From Anaryllis 2013

{{gwi:376724}}From Anaryllis 2013

Arif

• sun_worshiper
    11 years ago

What a great thread to browse though on a Saturday morning. They are all so lovely!

I am intrigued by Snow Crest especially - I love the red throat. Does it set seed? If so and you'd be willing to trade some seeds, please send me email. I have an orange star pass along that has a red throat (most likely voodoo), I would love to see crosses with Snow Crest. It would be neat if the result is a variety of patterns, all with red throats.

Here's my only white. Anybody know the name? I got it as a vendor mistake - I had ordered a rain lily bulb!

{{gwi:376725}}

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

Fantasy, Moonlight, and Luna.
    K

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

sun_worshiper, that might be a Molto Bello? Is it a miniature? I'm just basing my guess off of the photos on emaryllis.com. I really like the strong white/green contrast! -Tina

• sun_worshiper
    11 years ago

Tina, thanks for the suggestion. That looks pretty close. Now you bring up something I had been curious about. What exactly does "miniature" mean? Is it scape height? Flower width? Specific varieties? This one bloomed once, right after it arrived, and the scape was very short, maybe 6", but the bloom was around 5" wide. I planted it in ground after it bloomed and the foliage is smaller in height than average (around 10"), but average width. It stayed evergreen over the winter, and has shown no signs of either sending out new leaves or blooming yet this spring. So I'm still waiting to see if that short scape was a fluke because the bulb was stressed, or if that is its normal size.

• sun_worshiper
    11 years ago

Hey, turns out my mystery bulb is sending up a scape - yay!

Arif, do you know what the parentage of any of your whites is? I too love whites, they just glow out in the garden. I have the mystery one, a picotee, and a white Xmas. Of those, the picotee and mystery seem to be good garden specimens, but the white Xmas is not. It grows healthy foliage, but the bloom scapes are stunted and deformed. I'm interested in knowing if you have suggestions for which whites are best suited to garden growing? That way I can be on they lookout for seeds from the hardier types.

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

The miniatures that I've had have had smaller bulbs and shorter foliage than other hippies (like big, Dutch hybrids). Despite their small size, some of them put on quite a show in terms of the size and number of flowers.

I think Snow Crest and Molto Bello (?) are my favorites. So many gorgeous forms and variations.

• brigarif Khan
    11 years ago

Hi
    Sun Worshiper, All my Hippes are blue blooded yet all are Mutts. I am not the only one pollinating them; my insect friends are also very active. No, sir the parentage canâÂÂt be confirmed. If interested I can send you some seeds of 2nd white X 3rd white shown above.

Miniature for me is Small bulb and small flower
    The mother {{gwi:376726}}From Anaryllis 2013

The daughter
    {{gwi:376728}}From Anaryllis 2013

Arif

• sun_worshiper
    11 years ago

Arif, I would be so pleased to have some seeds from your white cross! Thank you for the offer. I will send you an email. I'll be happy to send you seeds in return, if you are interested in any of the varieties I have, mostly pass along garden varieties with no names.

• jane__ny
    11 years ago

I am speechless! I have fallen in love with them all. What beautiful whites.

I have to have some of these. I'm an orchid grower who visited here after moving into a new house with Amaryllis popping up in the yard. Didn't even know what they were.

You must share where to buy these beautiful bulbs. I especially loved the ruffled whites.

I just posted above about my first purchase. Well, now I know my orchids have competition.

Absolutely beautiful growing. I'm so impressed.

Thanks for the eye-candy...

Jane

• haweha
    11 years ago

I like mine, which I bought as potted bulbs from the Local Supermarket = No name provided.
    {{gwi:376729}}

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

Welcome, Jane! You'll find that many other board members also grow orchids. At one point I had a collection of about 130 orchids, but unfortunately an infestation of scale has reduced my collection to about 20% of what I used to have.

Haweha, that is a great flower! It has the sparkly luminescence of Jewel but without the messy, crumpled, inner petals. I love certain aspects of Jewel, but I hate that it lacks a nice, neat form to the petals. -Tina

• aacor11
    11 years ago

Very pretty whites! Pity I don't live near you to buy some bulbs or seeds

• sun_worshiper
    11 years ago

My mystery bulb does look to be a miniature, the bloom is starting to open and the scape is only about 6 inches tall. A second scape is forming, so doesn't seem like it is short from stress.

Jane, welcome. To get started, I stopped at houses in my neighborhood that had hippis forming seeds pods and asked for some seeds. Gardeners are very generous and everyone I've asked has shared seeds.

Arif, I sent you a mail regarding seeds. Let me know if you didn't get it, gardenweb mail seems to have been a bit hit and miss lately.

Angela

• bunnynomnom
    11 years ago

This thread is great. A related question to Angela's question on the miniatures. I have a couple of Hadeco varieties such as Joker, Ballerina and Cupido. The bulbs and scapes are quite small compared to the Dutch bulbs. So does that mean a "big" miniature bulb will be around 18cm, not 32cm like the Dutch bulbs?

Well, here is my Jewel, but all the flowers are cupping and do not open fully. It's been like that for 3 days already. Is it because of something I do? I have Jewel near the window with a lot of sun.

My

• sun_worshiper
    10 years ago

Curious, I don't know what causes the flower to not fully open like that. Maybe lack of water, but I'm not sure.

Here's my possible miniature. It did continue elongating as the blooms opened. It topped out at 12" tall, which is still quite short. So is that "miniature"? Regardless, it works out great in this spot where it glows against the dark water, and isn't obscured by the screen cross braces.

{{gwi:376731}}

{{gwi:376732}}

• aacor11
    10 years ago

Very pretty the last ones! Do they have a name?

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

Thanks for the ideas. The neighborhood we've moved to doesn't seem to have a lot of gardeners. Some houses are rentals and just have basic landscaping. I'll have to buy some of the whites. I love the photos, those flowers are beautiful.

Jane

• aacor11
    10 years ago

When they bloom next would you like to exchange some pollen? The flowers are gorgeous and perhaps some would make equally great hibrids...

I have nothing to offer now except some seeds of a very old Ukrainian orange hippeastrum promised to me by a friend. Happy growing everyone!

PS
    If anyone has a good remedy against chronic sinus infection, please do not hesitate to send me an email.

• sun_worshiper
    10 years ago

I got this bulb as a vendor mistake, but I think Tina's guess of Molto Bello is correct. This one won't bloom again until next year, but could do a pollen exchange then. You'll have to inform me on how that works, I've not tested the storability of pollen.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
More Discussions