Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

~~~Tinkerbell~~~

Hi Everyone, Now I know this is a no-no and this should be added to the Half & Half thread, but since Tinkerbell is definitly NOT Half & Half I thought she should have her own thread albiet small, before she sinks into oblivion...

She has most definitly turned into a SWAN..and she is just lovely..her color..her form..and her size..plus.. she bloomed 6 flowers on both of her stalks. Now I do hope that someone else out there ended up with one of these along with myself..These will be the last pictures I will bore you with, (unless she sets seeds) so here she is..just imagine what she would look like it she wasn't stressed and had roots!!

{{gwi:376733}}

{{gwi:376734}}

{{gwi:376735}}

{{gwi:376736}}

and with Apple Blossom for size comparison...

{{gwi:376737}}

{{gwi:376738}}

OK, I'm done...

Donna

Comments (19)

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Much better looking.

My sophisticate turned into 'Apple Blossom'... I'm not so happy..

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Apple Blossom? How in the world could THAT have happened??

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Exactly!! Must be a mix-up at the retailer, huh?

• blancawing
    12 years ago

Hi Donna,

You never bore me. However, your post of 'Tinkerbell' has created a quandary. Let's just say I am in lust!

Should I wish for one or more of my Half & Half bulbs to mislabeled??? But - I sure don't want any of my 'Sophisticate' bulbs to turn out to be a mislabeled 'Apple Blossom.'

For Josh: So sorry that this happened to you. Have you contacted Saad - Assaf in Irael about the mislabeling problems with 'Half & Half' and 'Sophisticate,' or just the retail company?

Best,

Blanca

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Blanca,

I am in contact with "K" from ETGB and she says she has forwarded some of my pictures (which I sent her) to Saad Assaf and due to vacations..she hasn't heard back yet. This was about 2 weeks ago so, I will send her my pictures of the final flowers and if I don't hear from someone within the next few weeks, I will contact them directly with pictures..

I think Josh's Apple Blossom was the distributors fault..that's a shame..My Sophisticate doesn't seem to be growing..the bud will whither I fear, but I'm sure the bulb will live. It most definitly is not Apple Blossom, as the bud and leaves are the same chocolate purple..very lovely coloration on the leaves and scape on both of these varieties. I can't wait to see what Sophisticate looks like, I've seen the picture on Emaryllis but it doesn't really show the shape..

I am very pleased with these Israeli bulbs..my Ruby Star is just opening in a re-bloom and it appears that is it going to be just as lovely as last year...

Back to Tinkerbell, I would like to put her pollen on minis and I did do one with Evergreen..too early to tell. I'm wondering if Misty sets seedpods..I have 2 Misties, but neither appear to be in any hurry to bloom. I may have to freeze some pollen. I have a Neon about to bloom, but alas, I know that is pod sterile...any ideas? I have tried several selfings and none appear to have taken..that's a shame, I don't really want to pollute the lovely salmon pink color..maybe I can get some to self on this second scape...

I have a good amount of pollen so I will most likely put her on this and that and give the seeds away, but I would like something special to keep and grow myself...What would something like Tinkerbell do on a Cybister.. I have several Cybisters that are thinking about blooming...?

Thanks for your interest,

Donna

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Tinkerbell is very beautiful even though it is a tiny blossom.
    Will look forward to see her bloom again next year.
    Bobbie

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Bobbie,

There is a whole group of amaryllis/hippeastrum that are classifed as minis..some breeders have different names for them but, they are all very small..some people like just the minis as they take up so very little room..I have several and personally, I find them more difficult to grow..they don't seem to want to re-bloom for me and the bulbs just won't get any larger..infact they seem to get smaller! Maybe it's something that I am doing wrong regarding these guys, but I'm hoping that "Tinkerbell" is't one as I do think she is the smallest one that I personally own..but, a few of the minis do well for me, Neon and Misty come to mind..Thanks,

Donna

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

Donna...are you going to add many more mini bulbs since they take up such little room!? That way DH can't complain that you have too many bulbs!!
    ;-) (wink)
    K

Original Author
    12 years ago
    12 years ago

My favorite fertilizer too!! Too bad they don't have an alpaca poo-ing. Guess it wouldn't be quite the same (hehehe).
    K (no DH to complain....)

• blancawing
    12 years ago

Hello again Donna,

I agree with you about the Israeli bulbs. Ruby Star and Opal Star were among my favorite new bulbs last year (even though they would not set seed for me).

Regarding Misty, yes she will set seedpods although I have only been successful using the pollen of known diploids on her blossoms (e.g., papilio).

You asked,"What would something like Tinkerbell do on a Cybister?" The problem with pollinating your 'Tinkerbell' (wow - her edges are so intricate!) is that we don't know her ploidy.

If she is diploid, the probability is good that her pollen would be accepted by Evergreen and Misty. Alas, if she is tetraploid, the probability of Tinkerbell getting excited by being dabbed with diploid pollen is very poor (but some have reportedly succeeded). Of course, there are other ploidy possibilities (e.g., triploid, etc.), but at least you have six flowers with which to "play bee."

If she were mine, I would try selfing two flowers, use diploid pollen on two flowers, and tetraploid pollen on two flowers. Your results will not provide definitive proof of her ploidy, but you will likely obtain some seeds and enjoy a fun experiment.

If I could wave a magic wand and make Tinkerbell a definite diploid, I would love to try crossing her with 'Evergreen,''Salmon Trumpet,' 'Melfi,' 'Pink Floyd,' 'Night Star,' and 'Misty.'

After experimentally trying her pollen on the flowers that are currently in bloom (and that you think would produce an aesthetically pleasing hybrid) definitely freeze some of the lovely, diminutive Tinkerbell's pollen. After pollinating six of her flowers, you will have some clues about her ploidy, which will help guide your selection of future recipients for her pollen.

By the way, even though Neon Rose is pod sterile, I have used its pollen on a few tets. The number of viable seeds produced was less than a handful, but I may not have found her ideal mate yet. Sooo...if Tinkerbell is a tet, Neon Rose's pollen might yield a few viable seeds.

Sorry for the long reply. Please keep us updated on Tinkerbell's true identity.

Cyber hugs,

Blanca

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Blanca,

Thank you for your most informative suggestions for pollenating with and on "Tinkerbell"'. Alas, her first scape on which I had selfed a couple is starting to shrivel (the scape itself)..I dare only to self several on the second scape as I am deathly afraid to contaminate her with some of my currently blooming flowers until I'm sure they aren't virued. Yes, I am a bit paranoid.. especially concerning "Tinkerbell" as I may never see the opportunity to buy her again. And then again, she may be offered to us next year! I had fully intended to put Evergreen on her but I have chickened out.. Anyway, I will do the bulk of my hybridizing with her pollen on others. I do have another scape coming on Evergreen (new bulb)..I will most definitly dab some on at least 2 of the new flowers...and when my Misties deign to bloom, I will dab on one of them...I have a Neon just opening, (older plant) so Neon will go on Evergreen...
    Wouldn't it be lovely.. if they do introduce her.. that they saw fit to keep her name..as they do have a couple others with Bell in the name..you never know...

Thanks again..

Donna

Original Author
    12 years ago

I just emailed Saad-Asaff as to the ID of "Tinkerbell" I do hope they get back to me, I encluded about 5 pictures...Hopefully I got the correct email and that someone there can speak English....

Donna

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Donna,

I have had quite a few conversations with this company via e-mail and I understood them, HAHA!

Josh

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Guys,
    My curiosity has gotten the better of me and I just HAVE to know if someone else got a "Tinkerbell" also?? Don't tell me I'm the only one?!? I was NOT successful with any selfing attempts on her. I have put her pollen on this and that.. including Evergreen and failed. But, I DO have a pod or two on my Ebay # 2..and they have taken!! AND, I have a pod of Fairy Tale x "Tinkerbell" also..not what I originaly had in mind, but better than nothing I guess. My Misties STILL have not bloomed...grrrr
    I never heard a word from Saad_Assaf (I emailed them)..so if any of you (Josh ?) would like to take the reigns from here, please be my guest! I know some of you do have a verbal rapport with them..unfortunately, not me. And, I never heard back from ETGB either as to her ID (she was going to try and find out also).
    Thanks guys and hope to hear from some one of you soon...
    I still have pollen and I did freeze some (If I can find it)...hopefully it didn't glue itself to the bottom of a Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia :-) and get thrown out!!

Donna

• blancawing
    12 years ago

{{gwi:376739}}

Hi Donna, I still don't know what I have growing ever so slowly here.

Waiting, Waiting, Waiting...

...and trying to be patient.

Blanca

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Blanca!

It would appear to me that your Half & Half may in fact be Half & Half..Tinkerbell has a VERY chocolate purple scape as well as the leaves.. which appeared at the same time as you can see by my picture..Alas, unless you have more of these bulbs it doesn't appear that you have a "Tinkerbell"..But I am looking forward to see the "Real Half & Half" so all is not lost!
    Your Sophisticate looks like mine, which never bloomed..so I will enjoy seeing yours! In fact, Sophisticate and "Tinkerbell" looked the same..both with the chocolate purple scape and buds..so, maybe with a little bit of luck one of your Sophisticates will be a "Tinkerbell"!!
    Thanks SO much for posting the pictures!!

Donna

{{gwi:376740}}

{{gwi:376741}}

12 years ago

uh oh...these look like the Ruby Star bulbs that I got as replacements for my RvR (NOT) from ETGB....
    Kristi

• TigerFox
    11 years ago

Dear Donna
    Congratulations on your getting this unique variety "Tinkerbell " ,and hope you can developed many beautiful hybrids from her.
    Cheers and happy gardening!
    Tiger

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus
More Discussions