Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lord_baal

Belladonna indoors

lord_baal
13 years ago

So can They be grown inside like a hippe or is it not worth it to try cause I was thinking it would be cool to have some inside to bloom after the red lions are done for the year and before the oxalis is it worth a try?

Comments (6)

• haweha
    13 years ago

The belladonna Lily (Amaryllis belladonna)does not make a good crop at the windowsill. NAMELY: If you manage, to elicit appropriate growing behavior THAT it eventually leads to build up/maintain bloomable bulbs, this means that you have to deal with a bunch of long, thin, straplike leaves that these do not support themselves, and have to be thoroughly stabilized.
    So far I had been entirely unsuccessful with bulbs that I had purchased.
    I have one seedling that grows bigger y for y though, and it looks promising. Its leaves (2 to 4 cm wide) are 1 m long and tied up between two stakes, and this looks funny but ugly.

• lord_baal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's too bad I liked the color and shape of them from what I've seen online but best go with what works best inside I guess. Are there any other plants that work well inside that I'm not thinking of? So far for color I came up with oxalis, hippes, caladiums, and flowering maples. I would love to add some more to my collection it anyone had any ideas please share?

• haweha
    13 years ago

For color and shape...
    Yes, there is at least, let's say, a half-caste OUT of Amaryllis belladonna available namely Amarcrinum, that it fits your desires and, even though it is not the custom to grow it at the windowsill, it does there very well, confirmed by my own experience. It was created through crossbreeding Amaryllis belladonna and Crinum bulbispermum and it does not only produce occasionally, leaves during summer but, at least indoors, it will surprise you with an additional nice whole bush of leaves in autumn! (Due to the parentage of Amaryllis)

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Here is a picture of my Amarygia which is Amaryllis belladonna x Brunsvigia josephine. I grow it indoors and it blooms for me in the fall!

{{gwi:377026}}

• lord_baal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh wow cool that looks awesome I really want one now! How hard is it to find these hybrids? How expensive are they usually?

• haweha
    13 years ago

Cool!
    The shape of Amarygia or Brunsdonna flowers is superior to Amarcrinum. There is even one white form, namely Parkeri-alba that is extremely beautiful They might be more tricky to be cultivated though, as compared to Amarcrimum, that is a vigorous "crop".

Sponsored
Thoughtfully Designed Outdoor Living Spaces in Albemarle County