Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alanlou

Hippeastrum angustifolium

AlanLou
12 years ago

I was told that Hippeastrum angustifolium is an aquatic species. A few months ago, I received seeds from a friend and have sown seed in pure sphagnum moss. The seedlings are now 6 months old and grow happily. However, I do not know if sphagnum moss is an ideal growing medium for H. angustifolium. Any advice, please?

Alan Lou

Sacramento, CA

Comments (16)

• berkeleysgr8
    12 years ago

Since this is naturally a bog plant, you may want to keep a saucer of water under your pot to ensure the proper moisture level. I know with bog plants such as most carnivorous plants, it is essential that they not be fertilized and they need very pure water (like reverse osmosis water). I'm not sure if the same holds true for this plant because I haven't been successful in finding much regarding how to grow it. Ironically, the flower reminds me of Sprekelia formosissima, which grows in almost the opposite conditions... it likes to be sunny and dry! It has a very striking shape!

Tina

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Alan,

Contact me privately for information about growing this beauty

JoshuaY46016@yahoo.com

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Alan,

I forgot to mention I grow about 40 different species and varieties of species including aquatic Hippeastrum which are grown differently than other aquatic plants.

JOsh

• AlanLou
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Tina for your useful advice. I have read that in the wild, bulbs are entirely submerged in river during growing season and the long leaves are floating in the river current. I sow seeds in pure sphagnum moss to retain as much moisture as possible for the tiny bulbs. However, I shall have to replant the bulbs in the pond when they grow larger. By the way, do you have any idea how long it will take to grow H. angustifolium from seed to flowering? Tina, your suggestion about using very pure water is a good one. I shall change to use pure water. I also like your comparison between H. angustifolium and Sprekelia formosissima. The flowers of the 2 species look so similar yet their natural environments are considerably different.

Alan Lou
    Sacramento, CA

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Alan,

The reason I was asking you to contact me via e-mail is I have an article about Hippeastrum angustifolium and it's growing habits that I can only send through e-mail.

The biggest issue is nutrition, H. angustifolum isn't a typical bog plant, it's found growing in sugar cane fields that can be seasonally flooded so the environment is a bit different.

I have a good article about potting mediums for certain Hippeastrum, I grow H. breviflorum which is also grown in the same conditions and it grows very well for me.

• berkeleysgr8
    12 years ago

Alan, take Josh up on his off for you to email him. He's DEFINITELY one of the experts on this forum. If you need solid advice, Josh is your guy! Good luck with this beautiful plant!

Tina

• AlanLou
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tina and Josh, thanks for helping out with notes of cultivation of angustifolium. Josh, I have sent you a PM, please check your mail box. You certainly have a very impressive Hippeastrum collection. What other bulbous plants do you grow? Are you also into orchids?

Alan
    Sacramento, CA

• Anna_Lopes
    12 years ago

I grow mostly Amaryllis hybrids and am thrilled seeing the beautiful flowers in on-line photo galleries. Any chance you can part with some seedlings? I live near San Jose and travel to Sacramento quite often.

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Anna,

I think it would be a good idea to start with other Hippeastrum species first as H. angustifolium is incredibly difficult and need very different care from the Hippeastrum hybrids. I have known only very few to be at all successful as this is probably the most difficult species to grow as it isn't suited for cultivation at all.

Hippeastrum cybister 'Chico' is very beautiful and is a pure selection of Hippeastrum cybister which is a species and has a very similar appearance as angustifolium but much, much easier.

• TigerFox
    11 years ago

Dear Alan Lou
    Admired you very much have the Hippeastrum angustifolium variety.
    You look like you have the structure of the breed how to raise good tips,
    Hope you can post some photos of Hippeastrum angustifolium seedlings, let us enjoy it, thank you!

Please Allow other users to send you email via forms at this forum,you must enable this feature on your Preferences page by checking off 'Allow other users to send you email'.

• TigerFox
    11 years ago

Dear Alan Lou
    Admired you very much have the Hippeastrum angustifolium variety.
    You look like you have the structure of the breed how to raise good tips,
    Hope you can post some photos of Hippeastrum angustifolium seedlings, let us enjoy it, thank you!

BY THE WAY:Please Allow other users to send you email via forms at this forum,you must enable this feature on your Preferences page by checking off 'Allow other users to send you email'.

• Tropical Gardener
    9 years ago

I am looking for Hippeastrum angustifolium, Hymenocallis coronaria (especially) Hippeastrum formosissimum; and any other Hippeastrum that will grow in bog and/or true heat: the tropics. And I have many rare plants, seeds, bulbs, corms of other tropicals to barter. You can reach me at tropicalgardenener@gmail.com Used to live in San Diego :) Thank so much! Frank :)

• papillonmina
    6 years ago

Hello,

I would like to know if someone here could give me some growing experience for Hippeastrum angustifolium and the best medium mix. I will get a bulb which will be arrive in a few days and of course I want to use your experience if possible.

Please let me know if you have an tips.

Thank you!

• Luca B.
    5 years ago

Hi Jana, have you found some information about growing h. angustifolium?

I got a bulbs too ...

• Elena75
    5 years ago

Hello to all! Does anyone have any information or personal experience in growing H.Angustifolium? Share please.

Best wishes,

Elena.

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling