Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houstonpat

Yikes mites ?

houstonpat
16 years ago

After reading about virus and mites I find now one of my new bulbs, 'Sumatra', bought at Wal-mart, marketed by EuroBlooms, product of Netherlands has started to produce a flower stalk. Sorry the photos are sideways. What do you think about the red streaks?

{{gwi:377635}}

{{gwi:377636}}

Comments (41)

• paxfleur
    16 years ago

Hey Pat, I hope you don't mind me editing your pictures.....but here they are....upright. =)

{{gwi:377637}}

{{gwi:377638}}

Oh, and yes....:/ I am afraid you DO infact have a mite-infested bulb. Please place this poor specimen in appropriate isolation.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

I don't know... it could be bruising, considering its location on the stem... on the other hand, it could possibly be those mites that I can't pronounce or spell... tarsonamid? Hans can spell them, and tell you more about them and how to get rid of them...

I think I may have some on a couple of my bulbs... I've given them a spray with a 3 in one miticide from Schultz... time will tell if it worked...

• paxfleur
    16 years ago

Or perhaps its Stagnospora curtisii??? But I don't think it's bruising.....bruising isn't suppose to do that to the scapes....

• houstonpat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for tipping the photos upright, and the thoughtful responses. The scape was fully inside the bulb when I bought the bulb. I understand soaking the bulbs in 110F water for 30 - 60 minutes should kill the mites, if that is what is causing the red streaks. I could also soak it in systemic fungicides if its stagnospora.

• houstonpat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What do ya think Hans-Werner, ARIF, Soultan and others?

• brigarif Khan
    16 years ago

Some of my bulbs both in pot & beds are affected. But I have never been able to locate a mite even under a lens.
    The ambient temperature of 120F in summer should kill them,but it does not. Why it effects the stem which becomes distorted and stunted and not the leaves.
    This year I have removed leaves of mature bulbs and would spray them with insecticid and see what happens.
    Most affected bulbs produce normal stalks coming year.
    ARIF

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

I have sprayed the ones I found to have this mite damage, but I think I'll have to wait until it blooms again to see if the miticide worked...

• houstonpat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks ARIF and jodik. Any other thoughts? It seems the Charisma I got from Wal-mart is also affected.

• mariava7
    16 years ago

Looks like mites to me too Pat. I have a Gilmar with 2 scapes like that. I waited for the leaves to come out and then sprayed Orthenex all over it.

• JaapM
    16 years ago

Definitively caused by mites !
    Use Orthenex and / or hot water treatment ( you 'll probably lose your flower ) and / or hot air treatment ( You may have blooms )

Here is a link that might be useful: See my posting

• houstonpat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks much all. I wonder if it is worth the effort to get ahold of the vendor and ask them why they send out contaminated bulbs? I suppose they expect people to bloom them then throw them away. Geeze.

• paxfleur
    16 years ago

Pat - I would usually recommend that you contact the vendor and express your concerns but....it's Walmart! You'd probably be better off talking to a wall because in my experience, Walmart does not give a care about anything.

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Pat, have you been able to get the mites on the run? Let us know. I am concerned because so may of my plants are in pots or containers and I fear that invites pests. I usually use a very diluted spray of water and pet shampoo to keep my orchids, amis and other potted gems in check.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

I keep forgetting to bring the doggie shampoo in from the kennel to make a diluted mix... I've been using Shultz's 3 in 1, but I think I might need to switch out to something else... I'm kind of scared to use too much insecticide around all my plants and bulbs... I don't want any of them to croak from a dose that may be too much!

• houstonpat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The vendor I was refering to is EuroBulbs in Grand Blanc Michigan. They are a husband and wife company that apparently imports the bulbs from Holland, packages them and sells them to Wal-mart, who sells them for $6.96 each. I suppose you get what you pay for. My concern is that the numb skulls at EuroBulbs are spreading mite contamination across the country's collections. I'll just hunt 'em down and see what they say.
    Since these two bulbs, 'Sumatra and 'Charisma' are neither rare nor expensive I have no problem wacking them with pesticide to see if it works. I do have another "top quality" 'Sumatra' if this one is a victim of my tests.

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Keep in mind guys, I use just a couple drops. I figure if it is safe for pets, it can't be hurting the plants. Jodi, the shampoo I use is Sargeants Gold. I only had to use shampoo on my cats once, that was when a skunk got up to the outside of the pool cage, alerted the cats and then sprayed them. YUK, we had to close the cats outside the rest of the night. They smelled so bad and they were sulking around knowing they were stinky!

• haweha
    16 years ago

That kind of damage is typical for these tarsonemid mites.
    If you have crowded collection of knight star lilies, particularly seedlings, these animals can mean the ruin for the entity, because they spread so very easily.
    I even read about fungus gnats which can serve as air taxis for these unloveable critters. But, distribution by the hands is more likely. Veronica (Hippeastrum - The Gardener's Amaryllis") uses serious words while she describes these and their possible impact, respectively, and she dedicates half a page for this pest (p. 237) "...can result in the total destruction of a crop or collection"

If I visualize the scenario that someone might have a collection of old, unreplacable heirloom hybrids on his/her windowsill or in the garden, and another person would give him/her a "modern" bulb that does mean: "Contaminated with mites" - and then these mites would go and destroy that collection... Horrors! For my part, I do regard this as a CRIME to eject contaminated bulbs over the whole world!

Shame on these distributors, and dirt, pitch and heavy pebbles upon them!

• elizabeth_jb
    16 years ago

Patrick,

I received about 10 of the EuroBulbs from Walmart as a gift, and none of this same brand have shown any of these markings. I can take pictures, if you wish, of the ones that are already in scapes and/or have bloomed.

Last year, I purchased some of them (different varieties), and never saw any markings on those, either.

Do you think that perhaps it was this particular batch of bulbs that was infested before EuroBulbs received them?

Two of the gifted ones were Sumatra. One is currently blooming now (two scapes) in my bedroom. The other is in the patio, subjected to cooler temps (at times) and warmer at other times. The latter has one scape. I have seen no markings on any of them.

Thanks for posting this. I will certainly watch them for any signs of mites.

• houstonpat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This case remains interesting.. I contacted a fellow grower that bought 3 or 4 dozen of these bulbs. Some appear infested, some don't. I contacted the owner of EuroBlooms. (I'm afraid I came on a little strong in my voice mail to him). Anyway, the guy seemed nice enough. HOWEVER, he hadn't heard of the Torsonemid Mite !! Again, Yikes !! Someone that makes a living selling Hippeastrum bulbs wholesale and he's not familiar with one of their major pests. The way his company is licensed by the Michigan Dept of Ag, he's not required to inspect them for pests or vectors, as they are supposed to be inspected by the grower. References note that the Netherlands has been known to export tarsonemid infested bulbs. Though, not commonly, apparently.

• paxfleur
    16 years ago

Pat - hopefully you'll be able to convince Eurobulbs to talk to their growers. I think this issue is more serious than we are thinking....can you imagine all the possibly infested bulbs they are bringing into the United States and possibly into the home of serious hippeastrum collectors? How devastating....

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Last night, while inspecting some of my bulbs, removing spent scapes and just doing general care and maintenance, I saw a tiny, tiny critter crawling on one of my Red Lion bulbs... too small to tell what it was, but large enough to see movement... so I got out the insecticide spray and misted the bulb in question and all the bulbs in the vicinity...

I think it was one of the larger species of spider mites, but don't quote me... anyway... death to all bulb critters!

I think that my potted bulbs have been here long enough now that any little plant eating creatures have found them... so now is the time I must take action, even if a plant isn't infested... an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Hey Pat, last night while taking my jacuzzi soak, I was browsing through an old Orchid Society magazine, 2005, I think. In the "Help" section, the pro was recommending a product for the writer that contained Pyrethrins, to help with prevention of mite and pest infestations on her potted orchids. SEE??? I ain't all that crazy using pet shampoo on my potted orchids, AVs and amaryllis after all. The pet shampoo contains these pyrethrins!

• werqa
    16 years ago

That is definitely Stagnospora curtisii.
    I suggest that you show the picture to an agricultural pesticide supplier and he or she can suggest a fungicide for treatment and prevention. Sometimes the leaves are also affected forming redish veining or patching. It is controllable but I suggest that you set aside any infected plants until well treated.

• haweha
    16 years ago

Well, we can find an agreement by the description "Tarsonemid damage superinfestated by red blotch (Stagonospora)"
    The precondition of this kind of damage is the presence of these mites!
    Veronica states: "Tarsonemid Mite (Steneotarsonemus laticeps
    By the time the bright orange-red streaks, stripes and scars are visible, infestation is severe and bulbs should be destroyed immediately" (p.237)

The genuine manifestation of an infestation with Stagonospora curtisii is "Red spots or blotches may become long cankers with red borders and brown or gray centers"

The latter is typical and it is suitable to perform a differential diagnosis. The centers of the fungal lesions are, to describe it in my own words out of my own experience soft and DARK

However, I do not agree with Veronica in her subsequent estimation "Although the condition looks unsightly and weakens the plant it is not fatal"

If mites and red blotch work together, then finally the entire bulb might be transformed into a rotten pulp.

• msmarion
    16 years ago

So If I understand this discussion correctly. I should dispose of my four plants that have this red steaking?

• haweha
    16 years ago

That is in fact what Veronica Read recommends on p.237
    Her introduction into the Chapter "Pests and Diseases" - p.236:
    "Some gardeners have developed their own remedies to solve particular problems with varying degree of success. Some of these remedies have limited application and, since not officially endorsed,they are omitted from this chapter"
    With these omitted remedies she refers, this becomes clearly visible in the context of her subsequent statements in that chaper, to chemical treatment! The one and only method described in order to eradicate these mites (and red blotch as well) is the hot water treatment. And, since that does depend on accurate technical equipment (or is told to depend on) ;) a private gardener without this utility has to discard infestated bulbs... :(

• houstonpat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good question msmarion. As I mentioned above my intent is to carefully isolate my plants, and try a spring time hot water treatment. Then I will maintain them (if they are still alive) in isolation throughout the summer and see if this technique is effective. I acknowledge that having them at my home places the balance of my collection at risk. I will endeavor to be careful. My lot is quarter acre so I use a combination of physical distance, sanitary garden practices, a broad range of appropriate fungicides, pesticides, and natural controls. Speaking last night with a fellow that has these bulbs, we both intend to slice in half one or two suspicious bulbs each in order to see if there is any observable indications inside the bulb. I suspect there will not be, as similar pigmentation depends on the presence of oxygen. Also we know that the mite is likely to be to small to see. I have a great digital microscope but the manufacturer no longer supports the software. Hans-Werner- I read you open letter answering Jim Shields question on the mater of mites and treating with pesticide. Excellent thoughts on the subject.

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Marion, I agree with Pat. Before doing the desperate thing, try isolating them and treating them. Keep in mind I have plenty of seedlings to share with you, so you will never be without amaryllis if I can help it.

• houstonpat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Today I provided the vendor of these bulbs with photos and various opinions. He concurs that the photos of his bulbs show a "suspicious" condition. He is contacting the grower in Holland that provided the bulbs to him, regarding the situation.

• msmarion
    16 years ago

I have only one purchased bulb. I'm unsure if it came fron Wal-mart of HD two years ago. While it produced a few leaves it's scape was only 4-5" and the bloom really didin't do much of anything, if I remember correctly. The others were gifts from Cindee and Butterflygardener.
    The bulbs infected were on a bench under the hedge row only receiving morning sun. Pardon my inexperience.

I brought three infected bulbs into the screened patio within the last two weeks, wanting keep a better eye on them, not realizing what the red streaking was. I placed them next to several other bulbs and now one of them is showing signs of mites.
    LOL Live and learn.

• JaapM
    16 years ago

There is an article in dutch which reports about research into predators upon the tarsonemid mite.( steneotarsonemus laticeps )
    Pictures of the mites and afflicted bulbs are given.

Some translations:
    in 2.1 the commercially available predators are mentioned, with their size.
    in 2.3 in the table is given how many trials ('pogingen') of predation, and succesfull ('effectieve') predations were done by these in 5 minutes.
    Size of the predator is very important ( fig 4 ).
    Most promising predator: Neoseiulus barkeri

You probably can't do anything with this information - it just makes it visible to us what we're dealing with....

Here is a link that might be useful: predation trials

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Nasty little bugs!!

• salpal
    16 years ago

I have a supposed "red pearl" which not only is infected with the tarsonemid mite, but which also is a dark red double. I called my local nursery and at first was told that "it's not our fault it's not as labled and you gave it the mites." I argued this and was told "you are hostile",suprizingly after I explained that this is caused by the dutch(I asked this person whether they knew what this is- they acted like they did and appeared to finally look it up) then as I explained the issues with it they actually became quite nice. Is it just me but lately when I've made complaints(2x) I'm called "hostile" yet I work in Health Care and we are never allowed to do this "the customer is always right." What is going on here?

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

There must be a full moon... it seems like a lot of people are hostile lately...

I think, perhaps, that the person in question may have been embarrassed by the fact that they work in plants, and yet know very little about their job? It seems to me that quite a few people talk down to customers, thinking that we are stupid and don't know what we're talking about when we bring a complaint to them...

I've had this happen, too, Salpal... it's very frustrating and irritating...

• salpal
    16 years ago

Thanks Jodi, I quite happily put that dang bulb out in the freezing back porch after a certain amount of internal consideration. (should I/should I not) all in all I disliked the blossom anyway and even tho it was putting out more scapes they appeared deformed. I simply decided I don't have the space this early in my hippe blooming season for a heavily infested bulb. I'll have to try for a Red Pearl next year.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

I hope you get a good one, Salpal... Red Pearl is a lovely variety! The color is such a deep red, and the petals are almost velvety in how they look! I have seed pods on mine right now, so I know it's a fertile one! I'm glad I got that particular bulb!

• frank27603
    15 years ago

I found some nasty-ness on my bulb today after the scape looks to be drying up and the leaves look redish and ugly at the bottom...little black bugs were running up and down in there. OH NO! My guess is that they are mites of some sort?

I've tried to read and figure out what I should do, but I can't decide between spraying something down into the bulb that could harm it, or doing a hot water treatment. I am not entirely sure how to do said water treatment either... Does anyone have a tried and true method of ridding bulbs of mites?

Pat, what became of your bulbs and situation?

This poor fella was labeled 'Minerva', but was blooming when I bought it. It clearly wasn't 'Minerva', but I found the bloom to be quite pleasant and with another scape to come I thought it was a good buy...Here are the photos:

When purchased:

{{gwi:377639}}

EEEEEK...Now: {{gwi:377640}}From Amaryllis that needs HELP!
    {{gwi:377641}}From Amaryllis that needs HELP!

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-Frank

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Me, personally... I would spray a little Schultz's 3 in 1... which is an insecticide, miticide, and fungicide... right down into the mess. Not gobs, mind you... but enough so it got down in there and killed whatever is alive.

I'd also spritz the soil and the rest of the plant, and follow the directions on how often to reapply so you get any hatchlings.

I've never done a hot water treatment, and quite honestly, the process scares the heck out of me. I hope I never have to do one! I'm not the one to ask about hot water treatments!

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    15 years ago

Frank I'd say that the condition looks ripe for something to lay eggs that will eat the insides of your bulb. I did the hot water treatment and have described it in detail back in August 08! It's easy and effective.

Good luck bulb buddy!
    Kristi

• salpal
    15 years ago

I have a bulb from last year putting up a scape with suspicious red streaks (on the scape) I'm intending to totally isolate it, it may just have to try bloom in the basement. I haven't heard of a good treatment (must go back and read about Kristi's hot water treatment). I haven't heard of a good pesticide that works and don't care for them anyway. I detest this mite and don't want furthur infestation. I think any infested bulbs will end up in the compost pile I should throw it in tonight, do you think the blasted mite could survive 20 below? (too bad the bulb can't) Anyone who has dealt successfully with actual infestations of this microscopic mite- Do Tell!

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I had a couple of small problems with these red streaks last year... I used the Schultz's 3in1 spray, as directed, and I haven't seen it reappear.

I don't like using pesticides, either... but I hate getting rid of bulbs that can be saved.

Sponsored
More Discussions