Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scape watch 2013 has begun in the GH!

Posted by kaboehm 9a (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 19:43

A couple of weeks ago I started checking all of my bulbs to look for signs of scapes starting to peak out. I didn't see anything but there were several leaves that were starting to grow. Last weekend I decided to give the bulbs that had leaves starting to grow a bit of water. Since I don't have saucers under each pot there was no way to in sure that plants beneath weren't watered from drainage.

So today, just four days later I started poking around and found a scape. Well then I really started looking around and found a total of 11 bulbs that have the tips of scapes just starting to peek out between the layers of the bulb.

The excitement has started with these bulbs, some of which are many years old reblooming. My oldest bulb goes back 21 years!! Now I need to be sure not to check every day but only check maybe two times a week otherwise I'll drive myself crazy looking for scapes!!

K

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scape watch 2013 has begun in the GH!

Congrats, Kristi!

I do check and even try to part the bulb layers to find emerging scapes, too :)

Crazy us, huh?!?!

Xuan

o

Xuan,
It's part of CHAD!! I think....
Kristi

o

We love to see the progression of the scapes, I thought that was part of the fun

o

Devon, it is part of the fun, but it can make you crazy looking for them!! It's fun and exciting when you discover a scape, but looking and not finding scapes can make you crazy!!

So out of the 200+ pots in the greenhouse, the first 11 have scapes. You would think there should be more, but these are the "scouts"! The first ones that are a bit early. If I look every day (and I have) I have found no additional scapes. If I would just wait and look in a week I would find a few more. Looking everyday is the way to make you crazy!! I should know...

This is the 4th year with a greenhouse. Before that, it was just, "... Hey look... A scape!"

Kristi

o

If the pots were out in the open, when would be their natural blooming time?
Arif

o

"200+ pots" how big is your green house

o

Arif,
The ones in beds that are mulched during the winter (we do get freezing nights and the rare snow) bloom in April - June. These were "put to bed" in late November and so they have rested for a couple of months and are waking up.

Devon, the greenhouse is just 9' x 9'
15 shelves that are 2'x 3' and lots of floor space.
There was a post about me putting it up by myself!!
:-)
Kristi

o

I have scapes too! I have no idea which ones they are since i had to treat them last year for that awful Narcissus fly.
It will be interesting to see which ones recovered. I had so many, couldn't keep them separated while treating them.

o

Well, be sure and post photos so we can help you relabel all of those bulbs!!
K

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here