Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

Photos of La Paz crosses

I have a H. La Paz that is just opening up. Can anyone post photos of crosses they've made or give me good ideas on what will take as either La Paz as the pollen parent or that I could put La Paz?

I'm very anxious to make some good cybister crosses.
K

Comments (17)

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

*swoon* I can't wait to see what gets posted. I love cybisters... even though they haven't been as reliable bloomers for me as the big Dutch hybrids.

• haweha
    11 years ago

I take "La Paz" for identical with "Tango". Which is my Personal Opinion and I shall not discuss it furthermore. That being said, a seedling from crossing of (asserted/alleged) "Tango" with "Pink Floyd" is shown in the Link beliow.
    It is obvious, that the frilly edges of "Tango"/"LaPaz" can be retrieved in the Progeny. For this reason, I have decided to use it for crosspollinations now, I have "Striped Panther" in mind.

MY "Tango"/"LaPaz"
    {{gwi:377923}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Frilly Trumpet

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok... my bloom is more brown and green. Is this really La Paz? I did an Internet image search and there was a lot of variation posted as La Paz?
    K

• haweha
    11 years ago

No, this is either "Jungle Star" (Doran) or "Lima" (Meyer). IOW: It is a typical result from crosspollination of H.papilio and H.cybister

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well heck!! I thought it looked familiar and already have a bunch of Lima... They are very prolific!
    Thanks Hans-Werner.

• lila888
    11 years ago

Last year, I bought La Paz from John Scheepers and also got Lima which I already have. Yes, Lima is one prolific cultivar.

Original Author
    11 years ago

If anyone needs a Lima... Apparently I have spares. I probably have 20 offsets!... And now this!

Ok... If anyone has any ideas on what crosses I can make with LIMA...is it a good donor? I think I recall Donna's is a good seed parent.
    K

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Not my Lima, last year I tried like crazy on this and that and on all 4 Lima flowers and ended up with nothing. This year I currently have one tentative pod of Sweet Lilian x Lima. And again, nothing on Lima.
    Tango so far, is a different story. I have a Tango (with frozen Ruby Star pollen) on papilio, I have a larger (larger than Lima) Sweet Lilian x Tango, and I have two Magic Green x Tango jobbing out!! (don't ask me why I made that cross)..

If you'll notice on Hans-Werner's photo of La Paz/Tango the pedicels are tan, they were tan on my Tango (ID on the forum) too..my Tango was frilly also as well as quite pink!!

I do intend to put Tango on Exotic Star and a few other things too in the near future..(if you'll remember I bought La Paz but got Tango instead and I was happy enough with that switch)!!

Notice the tan pedicels on Tango..

{{gwi:377924}}

I did not attempt to put any pollen on Tango as I think I stressed out my Lima last year (both unrooted bulbs) and my Lima died...didn't want to chance loosing my Tango!!

Donna

I also just want to add that last year my Lima pods got at least half way there so I really bummed out then they shriveled, one by one...

This post was edited by dondeldux on Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 11:04

Original Author
    11 years ago

Wonder if Lima would be a good pollen parent!?
    I am really dismayed at the current "batch" of mislables....I didn't get: Pink Surprise or LaPaz...however many of the $$ bulbs were perfect: Sweet Lillian, Evergreen, Green Dragon, Jade Serpent, Jewel, Tempation, Cherry Crush, Opal Star, Half and Half, etc...

Showmaster is teasing me with a split bud....still a week away from blooms. Amigo will be blooming again in a few days as well as another Everygreen. More Green Dragon scapes are coming up, Estella (I think) and ......EBay #1 from Donna. And that's not counting anything in the greenhouse.

I have a few really fat seed pods, but am not counting on them until they are ripe, due to some disappointments. Why is it that the ones you really REALLY want take months to ripen!!??

Sorry to be rambling. Very sad that the Lima isn't a La Paz....argh!
    K

11 years ago

I don't see why Lima shouldn't be a good pollen parent, went searching and finally did find "2" puny seedlings of Evergreen x Lima..Evergreen was another one last year that I tried and tried and they all shriveled..again a stressed unrooted bulb.

Wasn't it PuPu who last year came up with some absolute beauties using Lima?? I think it was..
    Do you have any more scapes on Sweet Lilian? Mine is sending up a third..I might give one of these last flowers another try with Lima...

My Showmaster opened partially with gorgeous flowers with such frilly edges but the flowers couldn't quite open all the way to look as nice as I know it can. When I pulled off the pollen I think I may have selfed a few...
    Here is my best shot of Showmaster..not very good...Donna

• haweha
    11 years ago

Bulbs with poor roots on them, are inclined to produce
    - short stems
    - extremely short Pedicels,
    - individual flower showing upright
    - Tepals with frillier edges as usual.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Donna...is your Showmaster well-rooted??
    K

11 years ago

No....It's got another scape on the way and about 3 or 4 short leaves..so I"m sure it's started rooting.
    It's got the potential to be really pretty especially if it retains it frilly edges and it's got a lot of white which makes the red pop..lets see how yours does...Donna

• ajsblu_eyes
    11 years ago

K, I'm crossing my fingers you get some seeds from your lima (pun intended)

Donna your showmaster is beautiful! May I ask is it a newly acquired bulb? If so which company is the seller? Or was it one you uprooted and primed to bloom?

Ashley

11 years ago

Ashley,

Lima beans are tasty if you buy the baby ones...I hated them as a kid..would fill my mouth with them and then go spit them in the toilet...luckily we didn't have them that often...

My Showmaster was a new bulb this year that I found at Russell's Nursery (which I frequent each year). The flowers didn't open correctly but I'm hoping the second scape might do better. The center star is striking as well as the frills so I'm very glad I finally found one, as I've been wanting one for a few years!!.. Donna

• lila888
    11 years ago

I once had luck with Lima as a seed parent. The pollen parent was Rosario. Unfortunately, I lost all of the seedlings due to not having enough time to care for my plants. Luckily, I still have the reverse cross Rosario x Lima.

11 years ago

By the way, did I forget to mention that Showmaster has some fragrance? Well, it does..mine does anyway..

Sponsored