They are putting on quite a show!

K
{{gwi:378716}}

{{gwi:373080}}

Comments (13)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Just Beautiful!

This must be the time for Papilio no matter where they live, mine are blooming now too. The second picture is a knock-out also.. and it is....?

• jacqui.kam
    13 years ago

Hi Kristi and a Happy New Year to all.
    I have to report that apart from 2 huge tall leaves, about 2 feet tall,I have had no flowers, despite repotting and feeding, indoors in the warm and light. Did I leave it too long in that small pot? Might she flower later? If not what do I do?

• blancawing
    13 years ago

Kristi,

They are simply splendid!

Love ya,

Blanca

And Donna,

Here are two clues to discover my guess about the identity of the bulb in Kristi's second photo.

1. Look up the verb (in Spanish) for "to love" and find the first person, present tense form of the verb.

2. Combine the word you found in step one with a swamp grass that is widely cultivated as a source of food.

Voila! Now you know and WOW she sure is floriferous.

I wish that both of you would remind my papilios that they should be blooming.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jacqui-
    These came prepped and ready to bloom. Your bulb will bloom when it is ready. It might even skip a year, so just keep it healthy. Mine usually bloom March-June when they are own their own schedule. I bet he will give you blooms them.

Donna - Blanca is right....think of LOVE in Spain or Italy....and licorice. Combine those two words (remove the lico-) and you have the ID!

This is the first Papilio bulb that I have had successfully bloom.
    K

• cindeea
    13 years ago

Kristi...Lovely blooms. and that 2nd photo looks professional...even if I don't know it's name....something to do with Amore, I am guessing, Blanca.

I have a Papilio from a dear friend that has never bloomed for me. (sigh) Maybe this year?

• blancawing
    13 years ago

LOL! Cindee, do you love rice???

-B

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Boy, you Guys are about as subtle as an elephant..! If I can figure it out, (I did think that was what it might be, but didn't remember the first picture posted as being so wavy, and curvaceously beautiful) then the "photo thieves" can figure it out too! ;-) Anyway, it is a treat to see 2 scapes bloom at the same time. Doesn't happen all that often...!

Cindee, I hope your Papilio blooms for you..I've already pollenated 2 flowers and they seem to have taken.. Jewel( I wanted white and that's all I had) and I selfed the second flower and then thought better of it thinking I would be wasting the flower, so the next day I put some Lemon Sorbet on too)Looks like that one has taken too, still early, but they look good! I've got another flower ready to accept pollen, but can decide what to use. I have Shirley May, Rebel, scrawny Misty, Lilly Star, Rebel, a dab of Indian Fairy, Lemon Sorbet and Sweet Nymph and Green Dragon..and Red Peacock... ANY SUGGESTIONS??
    Thanks,

Donna

• blancawing
    13 years ago

Hi Donna,

Just havin' a wee bit of early morning fun.

Misty may be scrawny, but papilio should accept her pollen.

If more papilio flowers are forthcoming, send me a message and I can send you pollen.

Best,

Blanca

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

I LOVE #2, it's much more relaxed than you originally see in pictures! Did you buy your butterfly ready to bloom or is that a past acquisition?

• hotsummer
    13 years ago

I thought, the point was not to be so direct...
    Are you guys sure the second part of the name is related to food and not to something cold and solid? Does anyone know a translation of the whole word? I noticed that lower petals don't look that wide. May be because they are curved...
    Donna, follow your intuition, last time you had great success with Papilio.

Helen

• ryan820
    13 years ago

I always love a pap but I agree, number two is gorgeous!

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Kristi, love the pictures - nice job!

Donna, I agree with Blanca. Misty, albeit scrawny, could be just the ticket for your papilio.

Alana

• mariava7
    13 years ago

I'd be more adventurous....Indian Fairy.

The results (if blessed) might not be doubles but veined/picoteed butterflies with Indian Fairy's color would be awesome.