Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help,Tell Me Exactly What To Do Now..

Posted by bulldinkie pa (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 14, 12 at 21:14

Ihave 3 plants,done blooming.What now,I was told put out in flower bed pot & all for summer,then bring in fall,it bloomed in june.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help,Tell Me Exactly What To Do Now..

Cut the flowers stalks and continue to grow the leaves. Make sure to feed it regularly too. After danger of frost put outside for the summer.

o

It appears you live in Pennsylvania. Don't put your bulbs outside until the danger of frost has passed. Please read the FAQ - do not reply to them - for complete information on how to get the most from your bulbs.
Kristi

o

Do you plant or just lay somewhere?Thank you for the info..

o

Bulldinkie.. (why does that name bring a smile to my face??)

You can take them out of their pots if you wish and plant directly in the ground, or..you can set the pot half in the ground, or.. you can just put the pots on a deck or somewhere in your garden area..making sure to water occasionally and feed with 1/2 strength fertilizer each time you water because hippeastrums are heavy feeders since they have to grow 6-7 strapping leaves during summer in order to bloom again for you next year. Several hours of sun or dappled sun is necessary..a good amount of sun..helps..doesn't have to be full sun.

Donna

Oh, And when I plant directly in the ground(no pot) I cover the entire bulb with soil..and I find that they can take more watering and more food when planted directly in the soil. (of course, I have a sandy well draining soil, If you have clay, I would water less frequently.) I've found they do grow better in the soil directly..just my personal observation...

o

My Hippeastrum grow really well in the ground, I have clay soil, I planted mine out last spring and their blooms were amazing, much better than if they were in a pot! The flowers were twice as big and the colors were amazing. I should've taken pictures..

Josh

o

Thank you all that helped,you like bulldinkie huh?Its the name of our one mini donkey she doesnt have the usual markings on her face,she looks like a baby moose,So we weresetting up computer.My son was suppose to use bulldinkie,for password instead user name,I do hear about it,but no not a bulls dinkielol lol

o

ROFL Pictures, Images and Photos

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here