Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lila888

Komoriya on Ebay

lila888
11 years ago

I was browsing on Ebay today and found Yume Mitai on auction.

Komoriya Nursery

Comments (132)

• mariava7
    10 years ago

It looks exactly like H. Pink Floyd! The only difference I know of is in their prices with Pink Floyd ready to bloom bulbs sold for like $15@.

• blancawing
    10 years ago

I agree with Maria completely. Whenever Komoriya has listed a Hippeastrum species, it has been specified as such. I'm not at home, but when I return later tonight I will try to find a photo of PF. With my dial-up connection and aging computer, I may not be able to post the photo. Maybe I could email it to someone who would kindly post it here. Any volunteers?

Best,

Blanca

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

Wow.... After a couple of days Oborozuki looks like a different bloom all together.
    K

This post was edited by kaboehm on Thu, May 9, 13 at 8:51

• berkeleysgr8
    10 years ago

I liked the original shape, but I like the new ruffly edges even more! Beautiful! -Tina

• jimnpa (zone6a PA USA)
    10 years ago

The maven has spoken.

This post was edited by jimnpa on Thu, May 9, 13 at 11:56

• mariava7
    10 years ago

H. Pink Floyd with the gang.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Kristi,

Very nice! I think I like the shape of Lemon Gold better but, your color is much better! Now if Lemon Gold had Oborozuki's color....!! How many flowers?

Both of them are very nice and worth owning. I must admit I'm not all that crazy about the feather series...maybe they will grow on me.

Maybe another time I'll try for an Oborozuki. It always amazes me how the true shape comes in after several days....Now you've got one more yellow coming correct....can't wait to see it!

Donna

This post was edited by dondeldux on Thu, May 9, 13 at 8:20

• blancawing
    10 years ago

Hello Jim,

Do you really think that Dennis TsangâÂÂs photo is a âÂÂdead ringerâ for the Komoriya auction photo? It may just be me, but to my eyes the blooms produced by my Pink Floyd bulbs are more similar to the photo shown in the Komoriya auction than DennisâÂÂs photo of H. doraniae. By the way, you credited DennisâÂÂs photo to the Pacific Bulb Society, however, it is actually located on the website of the soon to be disbanded International Bulb Society.

I am not suggesting that there was any misrepresentation in this auction. I have nothing but esteem for Hiroko Torikai. Over the past months, we have exchanged cordial email correspondence most recently on Wednesday night. Indeed, I was the first to bid on this auction even though I thought that the pictured photo was of Pink Floyd, and the opening bid was high. Although I have several PF bulbs, I was pleased to find a potential opportunity to acquire another mature bulb.

In the future, it would be interesting if we could learn whether or not the bulb sold in the Komoriya auction produces 4 flowers per scape as my PF bulbs usually do, and if it produces a bounty of offsets, as is PFâÂÂs habit. Personally, I think that PF is an H. doraniae hybrid created by Len Doran or Fred Meyer (some sources do credit Meyer). I hope that expressing my perspective will not offend anyone; it is simply my opinion and nothing more.

Kind regards,

Blanca

• blancawing
    10 years ago

Sideways photos continue???

10 years ago

Donna,
    4 blooms.
    K

• joshy46013
    10 years ago

Hi guys,

Supposedly the Fred Meyers "Pink Floyd" is a hybrid between H. doraniae and H. neopardinum, a colleague of Fred told me this.

I honestly cannot tell the difference between the two but I've not bloomed either in person. 'Pink Floyd' is off the market and my H. doraniae croaked... I do have a picture of Alan Meerow's doraniae that he sent me, it is significantly different from 'Pink Floyd', it's much curvier for starters. In all reality though, people are paying for a name, most wont know whether it's true or not... DNA studies would be helpful but I can't imagine someone would go through the trouble with a plant labeled with hybrid..

I bid on the doraniae on e-bay but literally, the last second it was gone..

This post was edited by joshy46013 on Sun, May 19, 13 at 12:11

• jamaicanmecrazy
    10 years ago

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone is worried about the radiation from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster affecting these bulbs?

• jamaicanmecrazy
    10 years ago

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone is worried about the radiation from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster affecting these bulbs?

• mariava7
    10 years ago

I am not worried about radiation effects as the bulbs I received that bloomed here looks like they have normal flowers. No signs of abnormalities...yet. What I am more worried about is the "actively growing - leaves/scape/roots cut- shipped out" bulbs that I received. Some bulbs from my last shipment seem to not appreciate this being done to them. :-(

10 years ago

It seems that plants are good indicators of radioactivity as they are very sensitive. If there was a problem, there would be irregularities in the blooms that have been seen. Of course, since each bulb only puts out 2-6 blooms, it's not quite the same as what is seen in a field of dandelions. The attached link offers a good explanation.

My blooms have been normal and gorgeous. Apparently we have a Geiger counter at work....hmmm
    K

Here is a link that might be useful: Radiation damage in plants

• mariava7
    10 years ago

I am very confident that Mr. Komoriya would not be releasing bulbs worlwide if they have any kind of doubt of their bulbs being affected by radiation. Accidentally anyway.

Some Japanese plant hybridizers have experimented using Cobalt 60 though to see it's effects. Here is one of the results of it's use on a clivia miniata.

This post was edited by mariava7 on Mon, May 20, 13 at 12:26

10 years ago

Maria,

My Yume Mitai arrived with cut leaves and a scalped basal plate..finally sending out a few roots! Also, my September Rose Line is sending out a few roots too. But... unfortunately my Yellow Gorgeous has done nothing...I would love to see if anyone bought a Yellow Gorgeous and if it has bloomed for them..I'd like to know whether another year I should pursue buying another. I'm wondering just how yellow is it? Even though Lemon Gold wasn't as yellow as I had hoped it was still very beautiful and I just love it!! Against my better judgement I have attempted to self 2 of the flowers and put Tinkerbell on the other 2....time will tell.

Me thinks they probably should have stopped selling for this season but we just keep on buying them don't we!!

I admit ,I did buy 4 more last time, I'm a bit apprehensive as to what these might look like...I may have to set up an ICU for these bulbs which will obviously stay in doors no matter what!

As for the bulbs being radio-active I wonder just how far are they from the Fukushima disaster...and I wonder which way the wind was blowing that horrific day?

Now if someone tells us we're glowing, we'll have to think twice!! (bad joke....)

Donna

• mariava7
    10 years ago

My Satsuki Midorii's leaves were cut before shipment and I could tell that there were young center leaves growing when this was done. The wounds from the cut of the older leaves healed ok but the wounds from the cut of the young leaves did not. And I can see the browning go down to the center of the bulb. I hope it has not damaged the very center of the bulb.

I have been wondering why Komoriya is selling/releasing these actively growing bulbs now on eBay while they used to offer their dormant bulbs within Japan during winter/early spring. Pre-order starts in November and shipping in Jan/Feb. Hippie bulbs need to grow at least 8 leaves to bloom next season. We'll be very lucky if the bulbs we bought would be able to do so this growing season. If not we'll see them flowers in spring of 2015!!! That is "IF" they get to recover from this trauma. So far, only 6 of my 19 "confused" bulbs have bloomed/blooming. A lot of the rest are just sitting there.
    And yes maybe it is also 90% our fault as we keep on buying their bulbs inspite of this unconventional practice of selling Hippie bulbs.

I have bought a few batches from them with 6 bulbs per shipment. First shipments were ok but the last one with more bulbs (7) was shipped in a smaller box with no newspaper (just bulbs in a box), which ended up smashing my Lemon Gold's growing scape! Hopefully I'll still get to see a yellow/yellowish petal from this. This scape looked so pathetic when I got the upside down bulb out of the white net. I really thought that it would just dry out or rot away. Thank goodness it pushed out more and developed further a week or two after planting.

This post was edited by mariava7 on Mon, May 20, 13 at 11:19

10 years ago

I agree with Maria. I think the bulbs are probably fine, except for the physical damage from cutting leaves etc. Maria, I'm sure you are giving your bulbs the best chance possible due to your good care practices.
    Kristi

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Thanks Kristi! You're being too nice dear. We all try our best but most of the time, we can only do so much for them. So good luck to all of us Hippie addicts!

Now this is Orange Swallow's unusual flower spathe.
    I hope it does not give out freakish flowers. LOL

10 years ago

Uh Ooh..Do I detect a glow to that 'strange' looking bud? ;-) Just kidding.... We'll all be sitting on the edge of our seats waiting to see this one!

I was thinking of ordering a couple more this time but my better judgement tells me to wait...hopefully they will do this another year and we'll all get a second chance and will have hopefully viewed each other's flowers so as to have a better opinion what to choose. And of course there are probably dozens that they haven't offered this time that they will add to their repertoire next year. Gives us addicts something to look forward to!
    Donna

10 years ago

That is odd! Don't think I've ever seen one so lumpy/bumpy. Will be interesting to see what the blooms look like.
    K

• mariava7
    10 years ago

This is too funny!!!

Crumpled Swallow

10 years ago

Ohhhhhhhhhh.......I'd say "freakish" is an appropriate adjective.
    K

10 years ago

Hmmmm....does it glow in the dark??

10 years ago

I have a leaf emerging from my Yellow Gorgeous!! No roots yet but the leaf is a start in the right direction...

Also here a picture of the seedpods on Lemon Yellow still too early but they were begging me to take their picture. This is a rootless bulb so I'm not expecting miracles but who knows...? The one that failed is a self, the two Tinkerbells are hanging in there as is one self!

Donna

{{gwi:379020}}
    {{gwi:379022}}

10 years ago

Maria... Thinking back I had a Jungle Bell look the same crumpled way. Just odd...
    K

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Yes Orange Swallow practically freaked me out! LOL
    No wonder it had that "lumpy dumpy" flower spathe. It's flowers were already blooming/opening up inside it with the spathe not splitting up to release the buds. I had to help out the poor thing and opened the spathe myself. I hope it is not it's regular habit and that it is just due to stress.

Donna..Lemon Yellow X Tinkerbell is yummylicious! Good luck and may they make your dreams come true. :-)
    I do have a few seedpods forming here likewise from my Komoriya bulbs that bloomed. Exciting times ahead for us huh???

I forgot to mention this...5 out of the 7 bulbs that were sent to me in my last shipment had flower scapes cut out. Bummers!!! Komoriya's spring blooming varieties must have all been done blooming by now so be aware of this if you are planning to purchase any of their bulbs now.

This post was edited by mariava7 on Sun, May 26, 13 at 0:31

• berkeleysgr8
    10 years ago

That bloom looks like it came out of the bottom of the laundry basket! LOL I've never seen anything like that. Hopefully there will still be pollen and the potential for new crosses! -Tina

10 years ago

Good mental image Tina!!
    :-)

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Tina...Yes I did save the pollens and pollinated one of the flowers. Other flower snapped due to a weak pedicel that could not take the weight of the flower. Oh well...

Donna...If your Yellow Gorgeous does not show any signs of a scape cut out, then you still have a chance to see it bloom this season. Hopefully in summer? Some of my established Komoriya bulbs are just now waking up due to our too cold and long winter.

Anyway, did any of you noticed that they lowered down the starting price of some of their offered varieties like Oriental Lady? It used to start at $60 last March. Now it starts at $35. Law of supply and demand???

This one is one of the luckier ones that got to bloom for me.
    It was from their March listing that bloomed in April. It's flowers look like a small star shaped Moonlight. It is now June so most probably most if not all of the bulbs of this variety are done blooming in their nursery. Komoriya does not harvest all of their bulbs and store them in fall/winter like the bulb growers in Netherlands. They "used" to only do this with their pre-ordered bulbs in November/December. Only the ones that were ordered and paid for were processed. I wish they'd likewise follow the schedule of the Dutch growers. That way we'd get ready to bloom bulbs next spring.

I will try to share pics in here but will not mention their names. Google is an amazing tool but it does open the doors for picture thieves to come in here. Happy Memorial Day to all!

This post was edited by mariava7 on Mon, May 27, 13 at 21:16

• fishing_dentist
    10 years ago

{{gwi:379023}}
    Top Pico
    {{gwi:379024}}

Yellow Gorgeous

Sorrry folks lack of time. Only want to show You the pics especially Donna with the Yellow
    Greets

• fishing_dentist
    10 years ago

{{gwi:379025}}
    Devils smile My old one whas more beautiful

{{gwi:379026}}

Himegimi Mitai

• bunnynomnom
    10 years ago

Wow, they all are so beautiful. My favorites are Devil Smile and Top Pico. You're blessed!
    My

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

Very beautiful! But the pic of yellow gorgeous makes it look more cream than yellow - is the color accurate?

Thanks again for sharing.
    -J

10 years ago

Hi Frank, Thanks so much for posting your pictures. I see a yellow with more color in the left hand corner of your picture of Top Pico which is very beautiful by the way. Would that be Yellow Gorgeous also? From your labeled picture of Yellow Gorgeous I think I like the form of Lemon Gold better and it may be a bit more yellow. I doubt that my Yellow Gorgeous will bloom this season but it does appear to be alive, it's slowing sending up one leaf. But I am glad to see that you have more than two flower on yours...

Maybe in a few months after a few more pictures of the yellows have been posted we will be able to determine which ones are the best.

Himegimi Mitai appears to have four flowers and when they are all out I'm sure it will be very beautiful!

:-)...Donna

• berkeleysgr8
    10 years ago

Mariava, I'm happy to hear you were still able to get some useable pollen. Hopefully it will create viable offspring!

So many gorgeous flowers! I don't understand how anyone could NOT be enamored with hippeastrum. -Tina

• fishing_dentist
    10 years ago

Donna indeed it is! These are fotos with my iphone and the colours dont come out that good as in original. Maybe there are other effects possible with fertilizers to make it more yellow. I know that it works with my hibiscus.
    Lots of greets

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Good Friday morning to all !!!

• fishing_dentist
    10 years ago

Good Morning Maria! Looks like You have a nice weather. We have another day full of rain! Germany is drawning. :-(
    Lots of greets!

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Frankie!!! Yes we are having very nice weather right now and the Hippies are loving it. You are very lucky to have Komoriya bulbs bloom. Beautiful!!! But then you bought them early this season. I just got a Himegime Mitai 2/3 weeks ago and the bulb they sent me had 2 scapes cut out. So I don't think I will see any flowers from it anymore this year. :-(

• fishing_dentist
    10 years ago

Thatôs a pitty, to listen. Yes my friend did bring them in march from japan. I whas happy, to have my Devils smile again, but it looks different now.
    Komoriya whas all the last years very restrictive with his bulbs. Did take a lot of care with the quality did not send to other countries, cut the selling season, it whas a bit like smuggeling silk caterpillars out of Japan with these bulbs . But now they did change their policy, i think.
    Lucky us! :-)

There is a fast growing Facebook - Group with Amaryllis lovers from all over the world for the interested of You.
    A good nigth to You all

Here is a link that might be useful: Hippeastrum Fans

• fishing_dentist
    10 years ago

and these guys love the wild species:

Here is a link that might be useful: Planet botanical Hippeastrum

10 years ago

My second batch of Komoriya bulbs just arrived at my doorstep, just 2 days after leaving the nursery. I was very pleased most of the bulbs had leaves, but every one had 2 scapes cut...so at least I know that they HAD bloomed, and well, this season.

My Lemon Gold bulb was HUGE.
    K

10 years ago

My Lemon Gold was good sized too but I only got the one scape..maybe there is another lurking that will reveal itself this summer? Glad your bulbs are all in relatively good shape..and good that the leaves weren't cut, on a few of mine, they did cut the leaves...:-(

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Kristi...You are very lucky your bulbs had leaves. All of mine had their leaves and scapes cut off. Except for this one where the fresh scapes (2) were simply broken off or pulled out. Wahhhhhh!!!
    I hope the cuts heal well and does not cause rot right in the center of the bulb. :-(
    One is like 1 inch down the bulb's neck and the other one is like 1/2 inch. Shouldn't they know better???

Hellooooooooo down there!!!

10 years ago

Well, as long as we keep buying them they will keep cutting leaves and scapes. The last 4 bulbs I bought all had cut leaves and or scapes cut but they did it high enough so I think they will be fine. My Calypt Parodii bud was cut in half and I could still see the remains of the 4 blossoms!! They just keep coming up with these prettier varieties and we just know they will come with cut leaves and scapes but being the addicts that we are, we just can't stop can we...;-)

I was really bad the last time and I'd better get myself to the Post Office before hubby gets the mail and brings home this huge box!! I got a bit carried away and this time I am sitting on my hands.. for the time being...when these things go off in the wee hours of the morning that kind of excludes me...

None of my boxes have been opened or inspected and I am still amazed that they come in two days!!

I am going to do as Frank does and plant these in community pots as they will take up less room. I just can't give them each their own digs until they root up which some of my earlier ones are now doing.

I lost the last of my 4 pods on Lemon Gold but when I checked her bottom today she had a nice thick root sticking out! Yume Mitai as well as September Rose Line are also starting to send out roots. Yellow Gorgeous is still sulking... ;-)

Donna

This post was edited by dondeldux on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 6:36

• mariava7
    10 years ago

They do know how to tease us addicts don't they? LOL They even got a new release that starts off at $70!!!
    Well I ain't biting! Any bulb above $50 is out of the question for me. Will just save my $ and get Royal Color's new varieties in fall with big healthy bulbs that are ready to bloom and are bred to perform. Honestly...I am not enjoying all these Komoriya bulb babysitting. :-(

Donna...I FEEL your pain on that Calypt parodii of yours. How awful! It must be their blooming time as my Calypt parodii purchased last March is sending a scape out now.

This post was edited by mariava7 on Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 23:01

10 years ago

Maria, Well, my Calypt parodii is a pretty good sized bulb so I am just hoping that there may be a second scape that hadn't emerged yet before they got the choppers out! I'd love to see yours when she blooms!

I also noticed that they removed one of their newer offerings before the auction had ended. Maybe they found something wrong with the bulb or maybe they discovered they didn't have one when they thought they did. Anyway, Ripple Sign was surely one to make me salivate..here is their picture and I really hope they have more of these down the road as I'm sure just about everyone would love to have one!!

To be honest I didn't have the best luck with my Royal Colors bulbs from last year either. Three of the four are refusing to send up a good batch of leaves, My Rio Negro, Double Dream and Tosca are very hesitant to grow. They did bloom (although only 1 scape from a very large double dream) and I loved them, hope I won't have to re-buy them again but if I have to I probably will...I'm still waiting for them to offer some of those lovely cybisters we saw last spring!

Donna

This post was edited by dondeldux on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 7:25

• fishing_dentist
    10 years ago

Maria i did see the new catalog of RC on Facebook and for me there is nothing really new and interestig!. Hope, You find Your new sweethearts.
    I did not order again from Komo. Will wait until september.
    Lots of greets.

Sponsored
More Discussions