Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimnpa

H. bukasovii hybrid

I purchased this bulb from Komoriya several years ago and each time it blooms, I become more puzzled as to its parentage. Has anyone else flowered this variety? If H. bukasovii is the 'pod' parent, very few of its characteristics show up in this F1 cross, other than the crimson coloration and perhaps the shape of the flower. The stigma of this hybrid flower is pink and the only other species that show this trait seem to be H. calyptratum and H. yungacense. I originally speculated that this was a cross of bukasovii and mandonii. Now I am leaning more towards bukasovii x yungacense. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Jim
{{gwi:2122425}}
{{gwi:2122426}}
{{gwi:2122427}}
{{gwi:2122428}}
{{gwi:2122429}}
{{gwi:2122430}}

Comment (1)

• Xaxim
    9 years ago

Hello,
    I'm new to this forum but i'm reading the posts here for several years now. As i'm collecting Hippeastrum i have a bukasovii hybrid, too. I didn't acquire mine directly from Komoriya but from a reseller on ebay as a small offset. After feeding it well for a little less than a year, it flowered for the first time in my greenhouse last summer.
    I think mine has definitely simmilarities to yours but there are differences too.
    The colour for example is pretty similar to yours but mine has a completely different shape with much narrower petals.
    So i wonder if it's just the natural variety of this clone, if several siblings of this cross are sold under the same name or if i have something completely different.
    Regarding the parentage of this plant i don't really have a clue but H. yungacense as you mention could definitely have been involved.
    Now for comparison a picture of my bukasovii hybrid:

{{gwi:2122431}}

Best regards,
    Dominik

Sponsored
More Discussions