Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery Amaryllis

Posted by BJ43 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 30, 12 at 21:54

Hello, I've been reading your comments to learn as much as I can, and it's been enjoyable for me. I have a bulb that was labeled as 'Picotee' but I know that is wrong. I'm going to attempt inserting a photo and hope you can tell me what the name should be.
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery Amaryllis

I had a Picotee which had that appearance,because it had mosaic virus.
Del

o

Thanks, I never thought of that. Did you destroy your bulb or how did you treat it? Thanks for any information you can give me.

Brenda

o

Brenda, If you should decide to get rid of it (it does look suspiciously like it's virused, but maybe just severe stress) you might try to self it and grow a few seeds on. The seeds will be virus free.. so the experts say.. so, you can save it through some seeds..just a thought....just don't put it's pollen on anything else....Good Luck with your decision...

Donna

o

Donna,
Thank you. I'll try getting some seeds from it. I've not been growing amaryllis very long and everyone's posts are helpful to me.
There seems to be a lot of friendship among you and I like that.

Brenda

o

Take a picture of the leaves and we'll tell you if it has mosaic virus.

Lot's of hippeastrums survive very well and for a long time with the virus and, additionally, it is not very contagious. I just found out last year that a heirloom variety that has been in my family for 70+ years is infected with a mosaic virus, now that I know the symptoms. It has NEVER spread to any of the other varieties and the ones that are infected are very healthy - they grow, bloom and multiply as normal, they just have a funny checkerboard pattern on the leaves that appears every now and then (but not always) when the plant is under stress.

o

Mosiac Virus is transmitted quickly and easily by sucking insects like aphids, mealy bugs, grasshopper, caterpillar (etc). It is quite contagious.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here